Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good morning beautiful people!

I’m scheduled for surgery TOMORROW 8/28 with an arrival of 830. Im excited, nervous and scared. I know this may be a little crazy but can you all who have had the surgery tell what I should expect? From check in, to the preop area, to going into a operating room and then waking up afterwards. I’m scared I’m going to wake up and have an anxiety attack 🤦🏾‍♀️🤦🏾‍♀️. I know this is weird but I like to be prepared and it’s my first surgery so I’m a MESS!

For the 1st half boredom. Nurses will perform a few tests, BP etc... You'll get stuck with an IV. I was given a nausea patch they stuck behind my ear. A lot of down time in between all of this happening. They'll wheel you to the OR ask a few pointless questions as you go night night.

2nd half will be a lot of sleeping. You'll wake up, possibly be in some discomfort and they will give you pain meds through your IV. I was in and out, probably waking every 1 to 2 hours. Nurses will come in give you more pain meds or nausea meds. I had to piss in a container so they could track how much Fluid I was letting out. Wasn't told this initially so the 1st time I had no idea why I was pissing in a giant "mug" so I dumped it in the toilet. They'll get you to start walking to help with the gas and it just repeats until you go home. Oh yeah, you'll have to swallow some nasty tasting liquid that they will watch go down to your belly to make sure all is clear then you will be allowed to sip liquids.

Not a big deal. Just a long period of rest and some boredom.

Congrats by the way and best of luck to you.

Edited by J San

Expect gas pain (felt like terrible stomach ache and back spasms), general soreness, and fatigue. They'll probably try to get you to start sipping fluids sooner than you think you should. Do it! First few days are a little rough but not AT ALL as bad as I feared it might be. You'll probably just regret you hadn't done it sooner. :)

2 hours ago, Auroragirl4489 said:

I’m scheduled for surgery TOMORROW 8/28 with an arrival of 830. Im excited, nervous and scared. I know this may be a little crazy but can you all who have had the surgery tell what I should expect? From check in, to the preop area, to going into a operating room and then waking up afterwards. I’m scared I’m going to wake up and have an anxiety attack 🤦🏾‍♀️🤦🏾‍♀️. I know this is weird but I like to be prepared and it’s my first surgery so I’m a MESS!

Congratulations!

I arrived at the hospital and checked in. I was taken back to the room (by myself at first) to get dressed into a gown, give my urine sample, and get settled in. Then, once I was "ready" they brought back my husband and mother. They waited with me until it was time for them to get me. I wasn't cathed so they did ask me to go again prior to wheeling me back. I was given some oral medication that I had to take with a drop of Water, and some medicine in my IV. Just remember, it's a lot of waiting. Usually they want you at the hospital 2 hours prior to when your surgery is scheduled. I was the first on the board for the day, so I actually went back earlier than anticipated. However, if you are mid morning, or mid day.... it could be a long wait. Right before they took me back, they gave me some anxiety medication which HELPED a ton, highly recommended. Honestly, it kicked in by the time I got to the operating room. I barley remember getting onto the table, so forth. It's not like the movies either, they don't tell you to count backwards... I don't remember falling asleep. I don't even remember them telling me that it was time to go to sleep.

When I woke up, I was all by myself. I knew this going into it that no family was allowed into recovery. That was a bummer. Being as though I was being admitted, as soon as I was out of recovery they wheeled me upstairs to my room, where my family was waiting. The surgery itself was 2.5 hours (I had some bleeding issues) and I was in recovery for 2 hours.

2 hours ago, Auroragirl4489 said:

Oh, and if you are coherent in the operating room (unlike my loopy butt!) then be prepared that it is overwhelming. There are a lot of people in there. They will just start prepping you and moving your body parts. Strapping you onto the table, so forth. Hopefully, you have good ones who communicate, but I think they behave like robots sometimes. They won't undress you until you are already under, so don't worry about modesty. Also, it is like a ice box back there. It will be freezing, but they will cover you with heating blankets.

Was originally scheduled for a 830 arrival but they called a little while ago stating to be there at 530. I have horrible anxiety this is why I’m asking to prepare myself.

My surgery experience was not much different than those mentioned above. The only thing that I wasn’t prepared for was waking up in PAIN- big time pain! I didn’t get comfortable until I left recovery and got settled into my room where I started walking and got some good pain meds. (I am convinced that the initial post op nurse wasn’t giving me the good stuff). The day after surgery I had some nausea but it was easily controlled with medication. I was discharged after 2 days and the pain and nausea were completely gone. I was weak and really tired for the first few days, but every day I felt better and got stronger.

The gas pain is the worst of it. You wont want to, but get up and walk as soon as you can. Its the only thing that really helps. You will be surprised how quickly you recover.

All goes back to the mantra of Bariatric Pal. Walk. walk. walk, sip sip sip, move forward with these and you will,have success!

I woke up sore, but the idea of having to stay in the hospital longer than 1-day was enough to motivate me to move. When they transferred me from recovery to my room, I got up and transferred myself. The pain was there, but take it slow. The quicker you get to walking yourself (I refused a bedpan and walked to the bathroom every time). And when they tell you to drink, drink. They gave me a log and I made sure to use it. The more you do and show you can do the quicker they are to release you. I wanted to recover in the privacy of my own home.

Walking will help the gas pains, keep walking, keep drinking and log it.

You got this....

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, clsumrall said:

One more day to go then surgery day on Wednesday. Getting a little rattled

How did it go? How are u feeling?

I’m feeling pretty good. Able to keep fluids up but gas pains up in n my back and shoulder so it walk walk walk sip sip sip burp burp

I was surprised that I had my first Protein Shake last night. Opti Carmel and it was good. Total of 8 oz and 200 calories 20 Protein. Loving the ice and now @ 3:00am hot cup of tea very gentle and soothing.

6 hours ago, clsumrall said:

I’m feeling pretty good. Able to keep fluids up but gas pains up in n my back and shoulder so it walk walk walk sip sip sip burp burp

Welcome to the loser's bench!