Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my gastric sleeve in April. My hair started falling out in late July. I knew this would be a possibility but I underestimated how bad it would be. When did the Hair loss stop for you?? How long did it take for the hair to thicken back to normal? Is there anything I can do in the meantime? I take a daily Multivitamin. Anything else? HELP HELP!

I had my GS in late May and noticed a significant loss in late July. It has gotten really bad, but luckily I had a lot of hair to begin with. I’ve been told to add Biotin to your supplement routine; not sure there is much we can do, but I’m very interested in replies as well.

Done in April and started losing hair in June. Hate this aspect and would love to hear answers. I've taken Biotin from the start with no success.

Ive read in previous strings that the Hair loss usually occurs between the 3 month and 6 month time frame. Ive read Biotin does not work and its essential to meet your Protein goals and take the Vitamins.

I have not hit this stage yet! I hope this helps !

I'm 2 years out now. Lost hair from month 4 through month 9. Took all my regular Vitamins, added Biotin, drank all my Water, ate all my Protein. (I"m down about 140 pounds from my highest weight). My hair did come back some, but not quite as thick, but I'm also going through menopause which has an effect. It is your body's reaction to the weight loss and severe calorie restriction. It will stop. Your hair will get thicker, but may never be 100% of what it was. HOwever, I am now half of what I was, which is more important - I have a hair stylist who can help me make my hair look as full as it was.

I am two weeks post op and spoke to my Dr the other day. She told me Protein was vital in the early stages to help prevent Hair loss. Additionally I had started taking Biotin in January when I started Keto (prior to WLS) - it took about 6 months for the Biotin to kick in and give me much thicker / healthier hair than I had starting the year. Biotin works, but in my opinion, it takes months to get results and if we're not taking in enough protein early on, we will suffer hair loss.

Thank you for the responses! I’ll be monitoring my Protein intake more closely and I will take Biotin supplements in conjunction with my Vitamin regime. The Hair loss has slowed down. I’m hoping my hair will thicken up over the next several months. I’ll keep everyone updated!

I had my sleeve about a week after you. My Hair loss also started in July and there have been times when the clumps in my comb or in the shower made me want to cry a little. I'm still losing hair, but it has slowed down a bit. The problem is that I've gotten so thin on top that I can see my scalp. Others don't really notice as much as I do, but I had fine/thin hair before all this and it's truly upsetting.

In my experience, no amount of vitamin/mineral or Protein supplements has prevented this or stopped it. I even started all the hair, skin, and nail supplements BEFORE surgery. I've tried all sorts of "alternatives" like scalp massage, essential oils, specialty shampoos, keratin treatments. Heck, I even bought a silk pillow case to help prevent further breakage!

My advice, ride it out. It will eventually stop. From other posts, length can vary from 3-6 months of hair loss.

Look up: Tellogen Effluvium. It's the scientific explanation of why we are losing our hair.

I'm at the very end of month 6 for me and my Hair loss is still going strong. A friend recommended Folic Acid and since he works at a crazy health and wellness center I'm going to try it out. Something I found for people with darker hair, though, is to buy dark colored dry Shampoo. It helps with the fullness and also hides any bald spots.

Biotin, Protein, Vitamins, Rogaine...naked chants under the moon....virgin sacrifices....none of this is going to save you from Hair loss.

Until you are 3-6 months post surgery....you really don't know what it's going to be like for you. Wait until you get there. I remember thinking...I'm doing everything right! The Biotin will save me. I'll eat extra protein. I'll use super expensive hair preserving supplements and Shampoo. I'll use Lady Rogaine just in case! It will never happen to me!

Bahahahaha....oh yes....yes, it did.

Tellogen Effluvium, you are an evil beeyatch...and Yes, you are part of weight loss surgery that almost no one escapes. (I've asked at live support groups...so far, it's pretty universal...in spite of how much it's downplayed)

I had hair loss between month 4 to month 8 post surgery, but also had lots of baby hairs coming in...could feel a fleet of them poking up under my hair.....which was pretty encouraging. (you can kinda stick your fingers under your hair and pat your scalp...you'll feel all sorts of tiny hairs regrowing, little stubbles and then little pokey hairs.....but it takes them a while to get as long as the rest of your hair)

The new crop of little hairs coming in under the long hair has made from some funky hair days. LOL. My hair is weirdly fluffy and oddly full close to my head and stringier and thinner in the longer parts, which I've been cutting a little shorter to kinda "help" the new growth catch up and blend my newer and older hair back together.

I have never experienced bald/thin spots on my scalp. Just a lot of aggressive shedding, followed by aggressive regrowth.

It's gonna look weird for a while, particularly if you really love wearing your hair longer. For a healthy person, hair grows about a quarter inch to half an inch a month...faster in warmer months, slower in cold.

I keep my hair about 7-10 inches long depending on the layer....so it's gonna be a while until all the old thin hair is trimmed out and the new full thickness is achieved.

Might take about two years for mine to be like it was, but I can definitely tell it's much thicker in the couple inches next to my scalp already. Should turn out awesome:)

If you like your hair long...you're gonna need patience. Shorter styles will fill back in quicker:)

We were told eating enough calories is important in controlling hair loss.. My clinic recommended 1000-1200 calories per day starting at 3 weeks post surgery.

Edited by Creekimp13