Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What they won’t tell you after gbp

Hello everybody
Today I want to talk about 2 subjects that I haven’t heard anything about before my surgery.
Which I discovered after the surgery.

The first thing I wasn’t told anything about was how bad you would smell after the surgery.
Not immediately after surgery but when you go back home and you’re around your 4th day post, the putrid smell that comes from your sweat is something you have to get used to.
Like I can smell the Vitamins that I take and also the food that I consume.
Before the surgery I would sweat a lot as well because obvious reasons of being morbidly obese. But now it’s a different kind of smell that’s more stronger. I didn’t know this would be a side effect.
I know that when you pass gas it would be putrid as well , same as when you do the number 2. But the smell of the sweat is something else y’all. M

Injections against blood clots.
After your surgery you have to inject yourself with medicine against blood clots in order to avoid strokes etc because you don’t move around as much anymore.
But nobody told me how my legs would look like while using it.
My legs are looking beat up.

After you inject the medicine into your legs, you r not allowed to rub it, otherwise you’ll get bruises. But you can’t help your clothes from not rubbing against your skin so I got bruises all over and it looks horrible. So if you’re used to wearing shorts, just remember that .
I have to take each every day for a 1 month or so and my legs are just.... yeah.. it’s not pretty.

I’m 11 days post op and still going strong 💪🏻

Thank you guys for listening

Xoxo

Hmmn I have always heard they,do,have to. Mind you, I would much rather do the Xerelto pills, did them after both knee replacements, but this is a different ball game. Maybe doctor knows best here.😛

I only had the injections while in hospital. Nothing afterwards. Unless a history of blood clots??

I didn’t have the injections either nor did I have the body odor or enhanced smell issues like the OP. The things s/he experienced post-op are not things that everyone goes through after gastric bypass.

1 hour ago, Jingle123423 said:

Does everybody have to do the shots? My doctor hasn't mentioned that at all...

It's usually the standard procedure after any major surgery, including the abdominal ones. Blood clot prevention for several days after surgery. However, the guidelines may vary from country to country.

The shots are usually not a problem. Inject them into your belly. No big deal. Burns a little bit, that's it.

I have no history of blood clots. But everyone in my weight loss group need to inject themselves with it. In our legs, and not belly.

What i wrote about is something I didn’t know before the surgery and I bet lots of people don’t know either so I posted it. The smell seems to affect lots of others people that I have watched through YouTube or blogs that I have read about. Than you must be one of the lucky ones 🙏🏻

9 minutes ago, summerset said:

It's usually the standard procedure after any major surgery, including the abdominal ones. Blood clot prevention for several days after surgery. However, the guidelines may vary from country to country.

The shots are usually not a problem. Inject them into your belly. No big deal. Burns a little bit, that's it.

The nurse who showed me how to inject myself said it only burns if you don't give the alcohol enough time to evaporate. She was right. The only ones that hurt were when I got in a hurry. I did them for 2 weeks after surgery.

Nah, it's definitely the liquid injected. I feel the same when giving myself a B12 injection.

However, it's nothing to make a fuzz about at all and gone after a few seconds anyway.

2 hours ago, Jingle123423 said:

Does everybody have to do the shots? My doctor hasn't mentioned that at all...

I took shots, for 10 day post op, but not in my legs. My shots were strictly in my stomach.

I didn’t have to do any shots, just had to walk/move for at least five minutes every hour...

Almost 2 weeks post op. No smells, BO or otherwise. I do have to have injections for blood clots. 20 days of them. In my belly. I was informed of the injections. They are standard procedure with my doctor. The only difference is for how long. Hubby only had to do 10 days.

No weird body odor for me. That's interesting!

I did have to do Lovenox injections for two weeks post-op. It was easy/fine for the first week or so but the last few days I was so mentally over it that I started having extreme anxiety every time I had to inject myself! I had really horrible belly pain for about 10 days post-op and my left side had (still has) some numbness and nerve pain on the surface of the skin, so I couldn't inject myself there without a lot of pain. Ugh, those last 3-4 days of injections were just awful. But I am deathly afraid of blood clots, and I couldn't walk very much then, so I soldiered through. I definitely looked bruised and beaten.

I think a lot of things along this theme of "what they won't tell you" or "what I wish I knew" about surgery are just because each person's experience is so different. For example I had NO gas pain. That was one thing I was 1000% sure I would have and that I prepared extensively for. Nope, not even a minute of it. *shrugs*

The best thing we can do is read and research widely to arm ourselves with information but accepting all the while that we will have an entirely unique experience of surgery.

2 hours ago, summerset said:

I have had many major surgeries in the U.S. and abroad and have never been instructed to give myself shots for clot prevention due to venous thromboembolism (VTE) risk. While in the hospital I wore special inflatable stockings (intermittent pneumatic compression) and was told to walk frequently.