Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

With us eating low carbs and high Protein and probably falling into ketosis, has anyone experienced a Keto rash? I had a rash on my arm a week ago and today have one on my neck. I heard someone on YouTube mention "keto rash" and had never heard of it. Just wondering if my rash is temporarily something else or if in fact it could be "keto rash".

I've been low carb for a very very long time. I only eat adequate Protein though, not high protein. I've never heard of Keto rash--doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I'd think it was a food sensitivity or allergy of some sort.

Have you changed soaps or dry cleaners or anything lately? How are the fall pollens in your area?

I googled Keto rash and it looks like what I have & it seems like it tends to show up where mine has shown up. I do hydrocortisone cream and even went to the doctor to have it looked like. Basically they said to keep doing hydrocortisone and follow up with them later...

Update: I emailed a few articles about this to my sister (who is a MD) and she said it sounded bogus and backed it up with some good explanation/examples...

I definitely have the rash too, but it seems like maybe there's a reason besides Keto type diet behind it...

I'd choose your Dr. Sis over Dr. Google any day of the week. :D

I googled Keto rash and it looks like what I have & it seems like it tends to show up where mine has shown up. I do hydrocortisone cream and even went to the doctor to have it looked like. Basically they said to keep doing hydrocortisone and follow up with them later...
I have strange rashes at times and my derm actually suggested washing my body with dandruff Shampoo 1 - 2 times per week. It works, rash gone.

On 08/25/2018 at 14:04, MargoCL said:

I have strange rashes at times and my derm actually suggested washing my body with dandruff Shampoo 1 - 2 times per week. It works, rash gone.
Interesting, I’m going to have to try that!

On 08/25/2018 at 11:16, FluffyChix said:

I'd choose your Dr. Sis over Dr. Google any day of the week. :D

Me too!

On 8/24/2018 at 1:31 PM, FluffyChix said:

I've been low carb for a very very long time. I only eat adequate Protein though, not high Protein. I've never heard of Keto rash--doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I'd think it was a food sensitivity or allergy of some sort.

Have you changed soaps or dry cleaners or anything lately? How are the fall pollens in your area?

Thanks for your response. The rash has gone away. It was pretty minor but I'm seeing a lot of stuff online about it. No new foods or soaps and pollen is ok right now. Great thoughts so. I'll keep an eye on it. :)

On 8/25/2018 at 9:30 AM, AEdoesRnY said:

Update: I emailed a few articles about this to my sister (who is a MD) and she said it sounded bogus and backed it up with some good explanation/examples...

I definitely have the rash too, but it seems like maybe there's a reason besides Keto type diet behind it...

Crazy you have the rash too. I'm sure your sis knows best though. My sis is a nurse and we ask her everything! LOL

On 8/25/2018 at 2:04 PM, MargoCL said:

Very interesting. Great tip!

I’m jealous that yours went away! Mine is still going strong. No new anything in my environment/food except my chewable multis, so I switched to a different one to see if that’d help...I’m so over it and want it to go away already!

I develop a rash on my body Every Time my carb intake drops below 20 for longer than a few weeks. I have logged in MFP for years, and it correlates. Always on the trunk of my body. ( I hadn't even heard of 'keto rash' but assumed it was some sort of inflammatory body reaction). It is a rare phenomenon.

If I upped my carb intake by 20 or 30 grams it would go away.

I have had it multiple times. It is more annoying than anything else so I will just deal with it this year. It is now annoying than anything else and get a costco size jar of hydrocortisone cream. I also am going to ask my PCP for a dermatology consult.

Currently, I have it on my back. I have had it on my back, chest, stomach and neck.

Every body is different and you should always listen to yours and be aware, note changes etc.

Edited by Aprilgal
Needed to add an explanation