Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all:

Went out with a group from work last night and was able to enjoy myself drinking my delicious, delicious ice Water with lime. But I'll admit, I really wanted to order a manhattan. I've only ever been a 1-2 drinks a week kind of guy, but I really enjoy those 1-2 drinks.

Have you started drinking?

When did you start?

How did it go?

Anything to worry about? I was something of a margarita connoisseur, but I'm worried about the sugar content.

I've heard you can drink, but you may feel the effects very quickly.

What should I be thinking about here?

I am in the same boat! Miss my bloody mary once in awhile or a amaretto sour! But I don't want to get wasted either.

I had a few sips of scotch around 3 months out or so to test the waters. I've since had a few glasses of scotch (2 or 3) and a number of beers, one night I consumed 8 bottles at a club. Not that I'm advising anyone do that though. Best to feel out your tolerance at home (and to make sure you don't dump from the alcohol). I can say that I'm a little disappointed that I can drink... just one more thing I shouldn't really be able to do, but can. So it's going to be more will power now since I know I can drink if I wanted to.

I had 2 glasses of wine with my birthday dinner, 5 months post-op. I didn't feel that it hit me hard, but I had a designated driver, anyway. Haven't had any since. As much as I enjoy my wine, I'd rather keep my calories low right now.

It may be different since I have the sleeve, but I have not noticed any issues with having a couple of drinks 1 or 2 times per week. I only drink good tequila on the rocks, Crown Royal and Water or a vodka martini...none of which have any sugar or additives. While on vacation 2 weeks ago I ordered a prickly pear margarita (a former favorite that I used to love) and the experience was not good. After 2 sips I felt hot and nauseous so I just put it aside. We ate and then after 30 minutes I tried a little more and it just tasted sickening so I just left it. It is the first sugar in anything that I have tried since April and I will never try it again.

I tested the waters with drinking at about 5 months out. For me there is a very fine line between pleasantly buzzed and stupid drunk. One sip too much and I'm on the dance floor getting crazy, and if there is no dance floor watch out because I'm making my own.

I found that I do ok with wine, but can't do the girly cocktail drinks anymore because they make me feel icky and sick from all the sugar. Also can't do carbonation because I feel like my stomach is going to explode, and that was after just a couple sips of someone else's beer.

I bought the Skinny Girl margarita mix hoping I could have a good margarita that way, but it tasted awful even though I had liked it pre-surgery. One thing I made recently was an Irish coffee (decaf) with Crown Royal and a touch of Baileys, it was a good after dinner drink.

13 hours ago, ChaosUnlimited said:

For me there is a very fine line between pleasantly buzzed and stupid drunk. One sip too much and I'm on the dance floor getting crazy, and if there is no dance floor watch out because I'm making my own.

LOL yeah there were times when I was like... OK Crap... start deep breathing to get some of the alcohol to process before you end up face down on the bar. It sneaks up quickly!

It does seem like the "Drunk" doesn't stick around for as long though too, which I found interesting.

4 hours ago, Matt Z said:

It does seem like the "Drunk" doesn't stick around for as long though too, which I found interesting.

Same for me! I got a little buzzed off a beer last weekend, but it lasted all but 30 mins and I was back to normal. So, if you are someone that chases the buzz, drinking might be a very high calorie experience.