Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing hair - 8 days post up

This morning I found a relatively small chunk of hair on my pillow. They said it would start after 3 months but I’m already experiencing it.

When did your hair start to fall? Xoxo

Seriously? I was not told anything at all about Hair loss, as long as we eat enough Protein. Perhaps your body is just adjusting to your new pouch and the hair loss will stop. I sure hope it will! All the best.

Hair loss is a common side effect of WLS. Google telogen effluvium for more information. I started to notice loss around the 3-4 month mark with it subsiding at about the 9-12 month mark. My hair was visibly thinner to me and I have fine hair to start. Although no one else noticed (or at least they didn't say anything) my hair dresser noticed and she didn't know I had surgery. When I told her she suggested cutting my hair a little shorter and darkening it - this did help to make it appear more full. The good news is I am about 1 1/2 year out from my surgery and it is noticeably thicker. I have lots of "fly away" hairs where I can tell there is growth that just isn't as long as most of my hair.

I'm not going to lie, it sucks but you will get through it and it is worth it!

It took about 3 months after surgery to start losing a good deal of hair. I lost almost 1/2 of my hair before I reached my goal weight. It is kind of disturbing while it is happening. I had to keep reminding myself that the hair would return. The good news is that your hair does grow back. Things started looking a lot better after 1 year. I'm 3 years out and I have my full head of hair back.

A bit of advice - don't waste money on products that claim to grow hair. No product can fix Hair loss while you are on a very low calorie diet. I see posts recommending shampoos and supplements. I took Biotin after surgery and it didn't have any effect on my hair loss.

Well I will be 12 weeks on Wednesday, haven't noticed anything yet except my hair, which is thin anyway, had developed a strange desire to spike on me. Move over Meatloaf, your Rocker step-sister Ham Loaf has arrived!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches