Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am planning on going away for Columbus Day weekend which will be 10 days after my surgery. Is that unrealistic?

I don't think it's unrealistic. I traveled on day 14 and had a skin infection on my big incision. However, I flew across the county to my mother's house so I was able to pretty easily stay with my meal plan. I have been able to take it easy here and my energy level has been pretty low.

I traveled at 7 weeks post op for business against my Dr's orders. I was ok but I would say it was not easy. I also think I paid a price for that trip. The weekend after coming home I had no energy. That said, at 10 days I do not think the effects of the surgery have hit you and I would have to say it depends on the stress of the travel you plan to do. You still feel pretty good at 10 days. I wanted to go back to work 5 days after my surgery, but my DR insisted I take 10 days with gastric bypass. It was the end of week 3 or beginning of week 4 before I felt the negative effects and I felt a lack of energy. I am now traveling every other week on business and I started that 10 weeks post op, but it still is not easy to travel and have a good routine and diet. I eat a lot of Soup.

Goo Steeelerrs! I am a huge Steelers fan, and I hope you are up to going! Like I said at 10 days you may be on top of the world! I was doing crazy things at 6-10 days that my Dr would not have approved of, like scrubbing all of our floors and walls in the house. Hey I was off work and felt great, but alas it did not last much longer as at 15 days I was dragging, but I only have myself to blame.

For how long were you dragging . I was anticipating increased energy, but I guess if you are not eating then you are going to be tired . How long ago was your surgery and how are you doing ??

I was exhausted after surgery and was up until the last few days. I would be okay in the morning and then have a major crash around 12pm and feel totally listless for at least an hour or two. Walking even a little (5 min) felt like a lot of work...your body is recovering from major surgery and you’re not eating much, it really takes it out of you!

I’m about 3.5 weeks out and feeling more back to normal, and I think the increased energy thing is true eventually, but it wasn’t something I experienced in the first few weeks!

It sounds like a cozy getaway though, so I think just make sure to pack lots of options that fit your plan and anticipate no big hikes and things like that...