Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I have never written in any type of forum before, and I feel like I am a bit late to the game. I am already one week into my two week preop diet and feeling very anxious. My surgery is Monday August 27th. I am doing ok during the day with diet, however it is at night (as always), that I struggle. I am doing my best, but cannot find a low sodium broth that makes me happy. I love Soup but I cannot find one that satisfies me with low sodium. I am doing well with the shakes, but I still feel hungry. I am so very limited in what I can have. I don't know how everyone else does it. I am here because I am addicted to food and it has been difficult at night. I could use some other people who have gone through the process who can help me through. Thank you.

Hi, I have never written in any type of forum before, and I feel like I am a bit late to the game. I am already one week into my two week preop diet and feeling very anxious. My surgery is Monday August 27th. I am doing ok during the day with diet, however it is at night (as always), that I struggle. I am doing my best, but cannot find a low sodium broth that makes me happy. I love Soup but I cannot find one that satisfies me with low sodium. I am doing well with the shakes, but I still feel hungry. I am so very limited in what I can have. I don't know how everyone else does it. I am here because I am addicted to food and it has been difficult at night. I could use some other people who have gone through the process who can help me through. Thank you.
Hi. I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I thought I'd try. I had a nocturnal eating disorder. sugar free popsicles got me through. I started to view the feeling of being hungry as a success, knowing that I was losing weight. I added a lowfat plain yogurt to my shakes, as well. That really helped too. I also tried to sleep through some of it. It's not easy for sure. I also kept in mind how desperately I wanted the surgery and knew it couldn't happen if I didn't follow the liver shrinking pre-op diet. I hope that helps a little. Take it one moment at a time. You've got this! It's so worth it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

5 hours ago, Michie_be_me said:

Talk with your surgeon/nutrition and ask if there is anything you can add to help you out. Everyone's pre-op diet is so drastically different that it's hard to find a true reason for any one of them. I was allowed celery, SF Jello and watermelon on my pre-op. See if your surgeon/nutritionist will approve the celery, it's a "negative calorie food" so it's not going to add anything calorie wise, but the Fiber will help keep you feeling full longer.

SF ice pops, SF Jello, pickles, chew on SF gum. All are low or no calorie. Yogurt in your Protein Shake is a great idea, not much needed and will help fill you. For your broths add veggies and seasoning then strain after. I added ground garlic, onion powder, pepper, chopped onion and carrots to mine. Of course make sure your surgery team approves. Best of luck to you, you've done a week already. Stay strong, you got this!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, whatever1111 said:

You will fail don't worry. We all gain our weight back. Life is not a survivable event!

You sound like you may need some support bud? I really hope no one is hacking your account. If your having issues ask for help man. We will do the best to help you through.

Couldn't you use a palatable broth, cook some veggies like carrots, green Beans, onion, celery, shrink the veggie out and then try the liquid. Or use vegetable broth, Wal-Mart has one light orange in color, it's pretty good. Have you tried V8 juices?

Strain not shrink the veggies out.

shrinking will probably work just as well:D

2 hours ago, enjoyinglife said:

You will fail don't worry. We all gain our weight back. Life is not a survivable event!

Like J San, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Either you're feeling desperately low or your account has been hijacked. What's going on? Do you need to vent? We're here! We're here! Bariatric Evangelists aren't supposed to treat Newbies like this, enjoyinglife. :) Pick on someone your own size, assuming you are enjoyinglife. :P

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

My doctor just had me add an extra Protein Shake at night when I still felt hungry. Talk to your surgeon.

I made Soup with Unjury chicken Soup Protein mix. 20g of protein per serving. Scoop of powder into 8 oz of hot Water. Added cumin to it for flavor. Wasn't bad, and the protein definitely made me feel fuller than just plain broth. (You could even mix it into broth if you wanted to.)

Thank you all for your support I do appreciate it. I will definitely try some of these ideas and speak to my surgeon. I was having a low moment when I wrote this. it was exciting because I quickly lost 9 pounds but gained some back. It is hard. Enjoying LIfe No Negative Nellies welcome here. I am trying to get encouragement and support and I am less than a week from surgery. take your attitude elsewhere. it is not ok.

Edited by Michie_be_me
Named an incorrect person

Hi! I'm having my surgery on the 5th of September and I'm on day 2 of my liver shrinking diet and I'm already losing it. Seriously, I feel like a Victorian woman about to swoon all the time I'm already so weak and hungry. I'm only getting 700 or so calories a day and ugh. I just messaged the dietician to ask if I could add an extra serving of green vegetables. On my diet, pickles are a free food, so I am going to stock up on those too. I have also been dumping spices on everything and praying that they will make me feel all bloated and thus I won't want to eat. :D

On my diet, we can use salt to season our food. Are you allowed to do that? If not, I bet some lemon pepper seasoning (low sodium) of course would really improve low sodium broth.

Keep your head up, though. We won't be hungry for that much longer.

Caroline125, sweet Miss Caoline in North Carolina, are things going better for you? I am your surgery twin from Ohio, so I'm going through all this with you. I started my Verdompt liver shrinking diet on August 1st, my body is somewhat resigned to it by now. I have lost 12-13 lbs as of last Monday. Is it fun? Not Really Am I glad I'm doing it? Not especially, I call it a Dietary Purgatory, takes forever, not a comfy place, takes a lot of praying to get set free. But I will do it, I remember my surgeon in July when he palpated the area on my abdomen where he will be working, felt liver margins under my right ribs, not a good sign,means I have NASH, non alcoholic steatohepatitis, means I have a fat flubbery liver.Looked up, said" You will be doing,my diet?" Busted, no eat a little of what tastes good up until my surgery ! Wahaa!💦
For every week you are on a liver-shrinking diet your liver gets smaller by 2.4%, so if I can stick it out my liver will be 12% smaller. So bravely I set forth.
I know what you are feeling n mine is a little better, I start out to do things, get a quarter to half-done, it's like a vacuum cleaner switched on and suckedmy strength out and I too get weak and dizzy. It is rough to pose as a Southern Belle, rapidly fan myself and say" Lawzey me, I do feel slightly faint. I believe I will just sit down!" See I'm still built like a plowhorse, somebody would slap me on the rump and tell me to get out to the field and start plowing. I try telling them I'm delicate, refined and think i' m are and sturdy like brick.
Yeah if you're allowed salt , just a smidge. Herbs and lemon pepper are better, love it on a baked tilapia fillet. Try getting more fluids in, that's what I got told when I complained of dizzy. I think it just means when I collapse I'll make a splashing sound. Can you add a Protein Shake or 2,? 700 is low on calories, my diet is 1000 and a lot of people's are higher than that and they still are losing weight.
How about a tossed salad with low cal diet dressing? I can have 2 T as long as they don't total over 90 cal. And it doesn't have to be. Skinny Gal, I've Equate, Ken s Steakhouse and Western brand low cal, like a French but it tastes the same as the full strength. If you need anybody who understands your trials and sorrows i'm available.

Hi,

I am on day 13 of my 2 week liquid diet, however yesterday I had to start on Clear Liquids only. broth and Water. am dying. I am starving, weak, and have a massive headache. My surgery is Monday at 1:30pm. I don't know how I am going to survive. I am not supposed to have sodium. I was told low or no sodium broth. I have been having the herb-ox which is what my surgeon prefers but I cannot do it without adding salt or other salted liquid broth to it. I am not sure if this is going to be a problem or not, or even if my surgeon would be able to tell. I have been doing pretty ok until I had to eliminate my Protein Shakes. I have lost between 12-14 pounds, and I am on the smaller side for surgery to begin with. I am in this more for the health benefits as I am an uncontrolled diabetic and lost both of my parents to complications from diabetes. I have high blood pressure and cholesterol also. I also do need to lose weight and I tell myself that is an added bonus to the other health benefits. This not having the Protein is killing me. Frustr8 thank you for the stats on the liver shrinking diet because I was not sure there would be much benefit in such a long time. I know that I also have a fatty liver. I also am having really bad heartburn all of a sudden and not sure I can take anything.