Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too fat to be a bone marrow donor​​​​​​​

Talk about feeling unwanted. :44_frowning2: Too old and too fat. I guess that's that.

:44_frowning2::44_frowning2: :44_frowning2: :44_frowning2: :44_frowning2: :44_frowning2: :44_frowning2: :44_frowning2: :44_frowning2: :44_frowning2: :44_frowning2:

The donor weight guidelines state that for people joining the registry, the maximum acceptable weight would be a person's weight associated with a body mass index (BMI) of 40*. To see the maximum weight (in pounds) for a given height (in feet and inches), see the chart below.

*BMI Formula: weight (lb) / height (in) 2 x 703. Calculate BMI by dividing weight in pounds (lbs) by height in inches (in) squared and multiplying by a conversion factor of 703.

Example: Weight = 150 lbs, Height = 5'5" (65")
Calculation: [150 ÷ (65) 2 ] x 703 = 24.96

https://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-bone-marrow/join-the-marrow-registry/weight-guidelines-for-joining/

Too old? Pay $100 and you're allowed to join.

If you are between the ages of 18 and 44 patients especially need you. Research shows that cells from younger donors lead to more successful transplants. Doctors request donors in the 18-44 age group 85% of the time.

At donor registry drives, we focus on adding registry members most likely to donate. If you are between the ages of 45 and 60 and want to join the registry, you're welcome to join online with a $100 tax-deductible payment to cover the cost to join.

I turned 45 this year, but I have been on the registry for 10+ years. Do I need to do anything?

There is probably nothing you need to do, Jingle123423. However, they are less likely to use you now that you are in their "old" range. Who "woulda thunk" that 45 is old? That being said, if you are the only possible match for someone, how could they deny them the prospect of having a matching donor?

If you have a number to call or an email for the registry, contact them and ask them a few questions about your donation and if your status has changed. Thank you for signing up. I have a special blood status, which would include my bone marrow, but I'm probably too old for them now. Barely a senior citizen, but no longer in their optimal range.

Hmmn I'm too old to be a bone marrow donor, too fat to be a kidney donor, too alive to be a heart donor, too fat to reach my weight goal, too ugly to win Miss USA, too honest to be a Congressman, let alone a politician. Too poor to run for any elective office, too disinclined to become a hooker, too clumsy to be a go-go dancer. Don't have a driving, fishing or hunting license currently. Until after my husband died, I didn't even have a credit rating, Only been in my county courthouse twice in my life, once for a wedding license, once for a copy of same, so that I could apply for widow benefits from Social Security. So obviously never arrested. Dang, why do people even bother with ME, I'm BORING!

Don't have a driving, fishing or hunting license currently.

In many states, fishing and hunting licenses are free for seniors (65+). There are exemptions for certain fish/game, but free is free.

Yeah maybe I should get one while I am still over- bouyant!

The BMI restriction is likely due to the depth of the puncture they'd have to make to reach the pelvic plate where they collect the marrow. It's not fair, but it's the way the tools they use are made. Bone marrow sampling is extremely uncomfortable just for a small sample in diagnosis; the amount they would need for a donation would be very difficult to collect on a larger person. Again, not fair, but that's the way it is.