Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling awful at theme parks

I love going to theme parks but my body does not seem to be able to handle them anymore.

I'm located in Florida so I'm sweating a lot when I'm walking around at the park.

My first trip (4 months post-op) I got a headache about an hour into being there and then a few hours after that I started to feel light headed and dizzy. I did eat and was constantly drinking Water.

My second trip was this past weekend (6 months post-op) and I prepared myself that morning by eating a Quest bar, having a Gatorade, then before going into the park I finished a second Gatorade and had a cliff bar. Sure enough about 2 hours into being in the park I start to get a headache and felt nauseous. I also had water while I was in the park.

Anyone have any tips to prevent this from happening?

It really sucks and I feel like a downer every time I go :(

I eat between 600-800 calories a day, 70g+ of Protein, and usually <30 carbs.

I'm interested in this too, since theme parks and roller coasters are a major goal for me. I get to go to the Disney World parks fairly regularly, and the rides there are really rather accommodating to "guests with certain body dimensions", but Universal is a different story entirely...

I don't really have any advice for you, but I'm sorry that you're going through this. I love theme parks, but I haven't been to one in a long time due to my size. I'll be going to one next summer for sure!

4 hours ago, Katers90 said:

I love going to theme parks but my body does not seem to be able to handle them anymore.

I'm located in Florida so I'm sweating a lot when I'm walking around at the park.

My first trip (4 months post-op) I got a Headache about an hour into being there and then a few hours after that I started to feel light headed and dizzy. I did eat and was constantly drinking Water.

My second trip was this past weekend (6 months post-op) and I prepared myself that morning by eating a Quest bar, having a Gatorade, then before going into the park I finished a second Gatorade and had a cliff bar. Sure enough about 2 hours into being in the park I start to get a headache and felt nauseous. I also had Water while I was in the park.

It really sucks and I feel like a downer every time I go :(

I eat between 600-800 calories a day, 70g+ of Protein, and usually <30 carbs.

I'm wondering if it has more to do with dehydration and heat exposure than the rides themselves. I don't tolerate long periods of heat as well as I used to either. I was in the shade over the weekend (approx. 85 degrees) and I got extremely nauseated quickly. I know we think we are drinking a lot, but perhaps we just are not getting enough in. We get away from the "sip, sip, sip" approach after a few months post op, but when we expose ourselves to high temperatures for prolonged times, we should continuously hydrate throughout.

At a theme park, you may tend to do more walking and physical exertion than you normally do. I found I need to hydrate the day before and then eat a little more Protein and good carbs while at the theme park. I was getting light headed so I drank extra Water and also went and ate a salad with shrimp at Disneyland. Before I could eat lettuce, I just had a shrimp cocktail. You can make wise choices. This is not an excuse to eat all the food you see.

Glad you posted this. I’ve found I don’t handle heat as well since my surgery. I tailgated before a concert last month (in a shadeless parking lot), and everyone was worried about me because I was obviously overheated. I thought I was drinking enough Water, but apparently not.

My first trip (4 months post-op) I got a Headache about an hour into being there and then a few hours after that I started to feel light headed and dizzy. I did eat and was constantly drinking Water.
My second trip was this past weekend (6 months post-op) and I prepared myself that morning by eating a Quest bar, having a Gatorade, then before going into the park I finished a second Gatorade and had a cliff bar. Sure enough about 2 hours into being in the park I start to get a headache and felt nauseous. I also had Water while I was in the park.
It really sucks and I feel like a downer every time I go [emoji20]
I eat between 600-800 calories a day, 70g+ of Protein, and usually
Maybe eat a little more than Protein bars... hope you figure it out.

Sleeved on April 25, 2018
HW: 258
SW: 238
CW: 205
GW: 165