Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Post-op Until You Were Able to Eat Carbs & Fried Foods Again?

2 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

Remember that written communication is different from face-to-face communication. When you post a message on the discussion forum, send someone a text message, email, or private message, or meet in a chat room, a lot of the message is lost. When you are face-to-face with someone, you can use tone of voice, gestures, and expressions to help get your point across. These aids are lost when you communicate online. Your message can accidentally come across as harsh or rude. A good way to reduce accidental misunderstandings is to read your own message before posting it to see if there is any way that a reader could mistake its meaning in a negative way.

Additional BariatricPal Posting Guidelines

1. Be polite. Rudeness is not tolerated and can lead to post removal or account suspension.
  2. All members have the right to express their opinions and are encouraged to do so while maintaining a courteous tone.
  3. Posts that are forbidden include, but are not limited to, the following:
    • Rude posts

You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!!

On 8/20/2018 at 4:53 AM, Littel_Urchin said:

This weight loss journey has taught me a lot about myself. One of them being that my vice is savory, carb-y, oily Snacks. We've got a pretty good Little India neighborhood over here and authentic Indian street Snacks are aplenty. Top three things on my list I want to eat as soon as I could: onion pakora, potato & peas samosa, and bhelpuri. I've been dying for these even if just a small amount.

My question is, based on your experience, when were you able to stomach foods with texture similar to things I mentioned above i.e. fried, carb-y, not to mention spicy? Also, how uncomfortable is it to eat something dry? I read in another thread that eating Cereal could be uncomfortable. Bhelpuri is practically dry Cereal topped with spicy sauce.

I would think once you are allowed to eat regular foods that the only way to know how you would tolerate these things would be to try small amounts of them one at a time and see how they affect you. Also be really aware of the nutritional macros since you can only eat a little bit at a time and snacking/grazing is discouraged. You can also google some of these and often find a way to make yourself something very similar that has more nutrition.

27 minutes ago, Khloe617 said:

I’ve had such a great recovery and I thank god for that. Drinking was hard week one but now I can drink no problem. I still don’t remember to take my Vitamins everyday but I plan on getting the Patches so it’s easier. I drink Water when I can. I found these chobani low fat yogurt drinks they are amazing and 10 grams Protein. The Protein Shakes gave me the runs so instead I try and drink 3 cups for 1% milk. Sf pops and Jello. Oh and chicken broth is heavenly when your struggling to swallow. It gets better trust me.

You are so lucky. My problem is with my appetite this past week or so. I am not hungry. I drink Water when I can. I notice that when I put ice in my water I drink it more easily. I have a B12 Vitamin Patch now and I take Centrum. Tomorrow is my first post op appointment. Let's see what the doctor tells me. I love herbalife shakes and I am going to use them as my Protein Shakes. I tried other brands and don't like the taste. Yes the chicken broth is great. I will definitely try the Chobani low fat yogurts. Thank you so much.

Personal Experience was about 8 weeks out before I could eat foods with much texture partly from fear of something causing a abscess in the incision lining the other it felt uncomfortable.

I wanted to look at this question from a different perspective So I went and looked at all three recipes and I believe that if you got inventive you could substitute a few ingredients and still fit these items in your diet occasionally. Using ingredients like Almond or Coconut Flour. I know we all sound overprotective but that comes from finding out firsthand that the Lays got it correct " You can't have just one!!!"

I don’t mean to be a “Debbie Downer” but can I say that I am tired of logging on and hearing about cheating and going back to eating whatever you want, I haven’t even had surgery yet and I already feel like a failure when I read posts like this. I love hearing inspiring stories and how people have overcome their demons, is there a thread like that 😩

Speaking as a TOTAL newbie (only a few weeks postop):
My goal isn’t to never ever have foods I love again. My goal IS however to never have them for giving into a craving, or for self-soothing and emotional eating, and to only ever have them in a mindful, planned, well-thought out way that works in my program.

I think the motivation and planning is really important!

I’m curious if those further out think I’m deluding myself/if this distinction is bogus!

It is common to do a little experimentation after surgery. That is how we learn. Some people can tolerate anything after surgery while others have problems and can tolerate very little. Weight loss is achieved during the short weight loss phase through meal volume control. The two operative words here are short and volume. So if you want to maximize your weight loss during this phase, you need to adhere to the program guidelines. I slid into the maintenance phase at 7 months.

Honestly if you want to try these back in your diet do it very slowly and one at a time. Listen to how your body responds. For me I was so happy to be able to have the crunch of a potato chip at like month 3 only to realize I will still just keep eating absentmindedly. Potatoes are something I know for me are going to be one of those things I’m going to have to be very careful about. Does it mean I’ll never have any ever again? Nope but I really need to be intentional about it. Like any food.< br />
Pasta/ flour tortillas and bread are turning into the same thing for me. I just mentally want more.

Corn chips/tortillas and crackers I’m able for some reason to limit myself and be okay mentally (and physically) with it.

At four months post op I’m figuring what works for me. You will too.

11 hours ago, Khloe617 said:

Sweetie I don’t care if I’m 2 weeks or 20 years out. She asked when she could have the food again. Wanting feedback from those who have tried it not negativity. Grow up. If you feel like beating someone down for being human is ok then you need to fix something within yourself.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

On 08/20/2018 at 05:53, Littel_Urchin said:

This weight loss journey has taught me a lot about myself. One of them being that my vice is savory, carb-y, oily Snacks. We've got a pretty good Little India neighborhood over here and authentic Indian street Snacks are aplenty. Top three things on my list I want to eat as soon as I could: onion pakora, potato & peas samosa, and bhelpuri. I've been dying for these even if just a small amount.

My question is, based on your experience, when were you able to stomach foods with texture similar to things I mentioned above i.e. fried, carb-y, not to mention spicy? Also, how uncomfortable is it to eat something dry? I read in another thread that eating Cereal could be uncomfortable. Bhelpuri is practically dry Cereal topped with spicy sauce.

Hi! My two cents for what it’s worth. I have been making the things I want as bariatric friendly as possible. I’m enjoying adapting the meals my husband eats into low carb low sugar low fat as much as I can and enjoying what I eat. It’s just been a few things but I made myself a mini quesidilla, I had veggie chicken nuggets, I made “taco rice” without the rice and 1 ounce of each thing. I used zero calorie BBQ Sauce and it was awesome on the nuggets. So, while this doesn’t answer your question specifically, if you are feeling like you want something consider looking up and adjusting the recipe. I don’t know the foods you listed but one thing I can say is that I have stuck with my program but I’m still enjoying what I eat. So yea, doesn’t answer the question but hope it’s helpful. :-)

This is not true for everyone but when I stopped eating carbs and sugar, I stopped my cravings. Then I had some wedding cake and it all came back, I gave into "just a bite" about 2 months out, which turned into once every few days and then maybe every night. It was a TINY amount, I still lost but I felt guilty. I cook things differently now, like @Laura7 does. I cook tons of different tastes that I wouldn't have made before and nothing has come out of the freezer section except veggies (not that that's bad but we lived on frozen pizza and chicken nuggets sometimes). Treats are fine, "cheating" is fine, but it can be a slippery slope. food is fuel, but I'm not going to live on salad because I effing HATE salad and always have. I want taste but I choose wisely and I almost exclusively make my craved food from scratch at home. Good luck.

To each is own, if you would never do it then good for you. Some people are newbies and were just curious. Cmon folks lets leave the negativity elsewhere. On a brighter side, I am down form 212 my highest to 191 today. I am very excited about that. Yesterday's pic is attached.
39638317_10155860482791819_624111803839807488_n.thumb.jpg.2d31cfe52ad19512b1c3a022f184ea29.jpg
Congratulations you look great. I am 3 weeks out and have lost 19lbs so far. 225 to 203. I have got a bit of a stall the last couple of days I think it's due to a heavy uncharacteristic period for the first time in ages. I'm still in good spirits though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I can understand someone wanting to eat Indian food again - there are lots of Balti restaurants where I live and it's delicious. I just have a small amount of my partner's curry when we're out - 4 or 5 bites fill me up quickly. And when we're at home, I cook Indian food with as little oil as possible and avoid the carbs. Yum!

I am still pre op so I don't know about when you can have these foods postop but I have a question. When you were pre op didn't the nut or surgeon talk about lifestyle changes that you need to make and to start working on those healthy options pre op? I know there are foods that I love that I will have a make a choose NOT to eat to become healthy and loss the weight I need. Am I wrong?