Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Post-op Until You Were Able to Eat Carbs & Fried Foods Again?

14 hours ago, Khloe617 said:

Some people on these post are so negative. If she wanted to be beat down about this I’m sure she could of asked her doctor to get lectured. I’m almost 2 weeks out. I wonder about when I will Be able to eat certain foods again because that is reality, sides with your Protein and so forth. Yes diet is essential but everybody and healthy people have their moments of cravings. Get off her back !

I personally have had a life time worth of absent mindlessly giving into cravings, time to try something new, especially after surgery. Otherwise what's the point...

I am 14 weeks out. I have not had French fries, onion rings, egg rolls, or any Indian food yet, but I did have a piece of fried chicken yesterday and did fine. I have had a small slice of pizza a couple of times. I have done OK with Thai and Mexican spices. I find that any food intolerances or aversions I had in the past are worse now. When I eat something I really like, I am not having a problem with craving more like I did in the past. On the other hand, I am still avoiding most foods that I had trouble stopping in the past. Best advice is to stay in touch with your doc or nutritionist and try small bites of things at first. Good luck!

Life is going to happen. You are going to go someplace and there is not going to be a healthy option--TRUTH. Case in point, I am going to a county fair this weekend, the mecca of fried food. I also went to a theme park recently, not much there for me to choose from. I packed a Protein Bar and some Water and then just nibbled on some stuff my husband and kids were eating, It was all junk.

So--I am almost four months, I was able to have a few bites of the bad stuff at about two and a half months without much side effects. Word to the wise, take the advice or not--if you have no choice or find yourself in a social situation where you must partake--go ahead, few nibbles are not going to kill you. But if you have a plethora of choices and it is just a craving, try to fight it and look for an alternative. And if you just have to pick up that badness from the food cart, take your few bites (and believe me, with the grease and spice it will be only a few bites) and then trash it. Don't bring it home and munch on it later, get rid of it. Don't think about the waste of food or money. Not only will it keep you from grazing it can be a symbolic victory over indulging.

Edited by YeahOkay31

I haven't dabbled too much in fried foods, besides French fries. I try to avoid things that are breaded and fried because the grease seems to upset my stomach. Now, if I make French fries in the oven at home, I don't have a problem. Obviously, I don't do this often, but from time to time, it satisfies the urge. I've also found some good alternatives to my previous favorites . For example, I buy a brand of soy meat that has two "fried-like" foods that I enjoy.

0e610266-8fde-4c79-ac53-1354f5bbfc6e_1_e43f2ce5956f77fbcc562974b02bcc14.jpg

c701cc4e-0fcd-4b8d-946d-a4b20aff640c_1_5b777da16290d4c5f54b1a4f241e1ec1.jpg

52 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

I personally have had a life time worth of absent mindlessly giving into cravings, time to try something new, especially after surgery. Otherwise what's the point...

The point is it’s not always gone be healthy food around and reality is everyone loves food. The operation is a life altering procedure but y’all need to stop acting as if wanting delicious foods that we ate in the past is like astonishing and deserving of ridicule. A bite of an onion ring isn’t going to destroy her sleeve. Give me a break.

14 minutes ago, Khloe617 said:

The point is it’s not always gone be healthy food around and reality is everyone loves food. The operation is a life altering procedure but y’all need to stop acting as if wanting delicious foods that we ate in the past is like astonishing and deserving of ridicule. A bite of an onion ring isn’t going to destroy her sleeve. Give me a break.

Does it honestly sound like a bite of onion ring? It sounds like all the triggers are at the OPs disposal and they were wondering how soon was too soon to start cheating... But sure just a bite, not a big deal

To each is own, if you would never do it then good for you. Some people are newbies and were just curious. Cmon folks lets leave the negativity elsewhere. On a brighter side, I am down form 212 my highest to 191 today. I am very excited about that. Yesterday's pic is attached.

39638317_10155860482791819_624111803839807488_n.jpg

23 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Does it honestly sound like a bite of onion ring? It sounds like all the triggers are at the OPs disposal and they were wondering how soon was too soon to start cheating... But sure just a bite, not a big deal

Girl your miserable. Who are you to say if her intentions were a bite or 100 got damn onion rings. Worry about your own progress. If she wanted to be lectured she could of asked her doctor. She came to a forum with real people asking for their own personal experiences. Not negative ass opinions.

52 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

I haven't dabbled too much in fried foods, besides French fries. I try to avoid things that are breaded and fried because the grease seems to upset my stomach. Now, if I make French fries in the oven at home, I don't have a problem. Obviously, I don't do this often, but from time to time, it satisfies the urge. I've also found some good alternatives to my previous favorites . For example, I buy a brand of soy meat that has two "fried-like" foods that I enjoy.

0e610266-8fde-4c79-ac53-1354f5bbfc6e_1_e43f2ce5956f77fbcc562974b02bcc14.jpg

c701cc4e-0fcd-4b8d-946d-a4b20aff640c_1_5b777da16290d4c5f54b1a4f241e1ec1.jpg

Great idea, where do you buy them from?

2 minutes ago, Sadie24304 said:

To each is own, if you would never do it then good for you. Some people are newbies and were just curious. Cmon folks lets leave the negativity elsewhere. On a brighter side, I am down form 212 my highest to 191 today. I am very excited about that. Yesterday's pic is attached.

39638317_10155860482791819_624111803839807488_n.jpg

exactly !!! You look great I’m down 20 lbs , 2 weeks out

1 minute ago, Khloe617 said:

exactly !!! You look great I’m down 20 lbs , 2 weeks out

How did you do that??? Please help. Honestly I can't get anything down except the bariatric Soups, maybe some sugar free Jello. I need to drink more Water and get more Proteins in. Lord its so difficult.

15 minutes ago, Khloe617 said:

Girl your miserable. Who are you to say if her intentions were a bite or 100 got damn onion rings. Worry about your own progress. If she wanted to be lectured she could of asked her doctor. She came to a forum with real people asking for their own personal experiences. Not negative ass opinions.

*you're

My progress is great

Not miserable, or two weeks out of surgery telling people people eat what you want

Peace and blessings

16 minutes ago, Sadie24304 said:

How did you do that??? Please help. Honestly I can't get anything down except the bariatric Soups, maybe some sugar free Jello. I need to drink more Water and get more Proteins in. Lord its so difficult.

I’ve had such a great recovery and I thank god for that. Drinking was hard week one but now I can drink no problem. I still don’t remember to take my Vitamins everyday but I plan on getting the Patches so it’s easier. I drink Water when I can. I found these chobani low fat yogurt drinks they are amazing and 10 grams Protein. The Protein Shakes gave me the runs so instead I try and drink 3 cups for 1% milk. Sf pops and Jello. Oh and chicken broth is heavenly when your struggling to swallow. It gets better trust me.

3 minutes ago, Khloe617 said:

I don’t care. I said what I said.

Remember that written communication is different from face-to-face communication. When you post a message on the discussion forum, send someone a text message, email, or private message, or meet in a chat room, a lot of the message is lost. When you are face-to-face with someone, you can use tone of voice, gestures, and expressions to help get your point across. These aids are lost when you communicate online. Your message can accidentally come across as harsh or rude. A good way to reduce accidental misunderstandings is to read your own message before posting it to see if there is any way that a reader could mistake its meaning in a negative way.

Additional BariatricPal Posting Guidelines

1. Be polite. Rudeness is not tolerated and can lead to post removal or account suspension.
  2. All members have the right to express their opinions and are encouraged to do so while maintaining a courteous tone.
  3. Posts that are forbidden include, but are not limited to, the following:
    • Rude posts

Edited by KimTriesRNY

Disagreements on opinion are allowed, personal bashing and bullying of individuals is not.

Everyone here is entitled to share their opinion, but if the opinion differs from your own it is no reason to become so reactive.

Good day. :1296_raised_hands_tone2: