Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Post-op Until You Were Able to Eat Carbs & Fried Foods Again?

This weight loss journey has taught me a lot about myself. One of them being that my vice is savory, carb-y, oily Snacks. We've got a pretty good Little India neighborhood over here and authentic Indian street snacks are aplenty. Top three things on my list I want to eat as soon as I could: onion pakora, potato & peas samosa, and bhelpuri. I've been dying for these even if just a small amount.

My question is, based on your experience, when were you able to stomach foods with texture similar to things I mentioned above i.e. fried, carb-y, not to mention spicy? Also, how uncomfortable is it to eat something dry? I read in another thread that eating Cereal could be uncomfortable. Bhelpuri is practically dry cereal topped with spicy sauce.

Edited by Littel_Urchin

1 hour ago, Littel_Urchin said:

This weight loss journey has taught me a lot about myself. One of them being that my vice is savory, carb-y, oily Snacks. We've got a pretty good Little India neighborhood over here and authentic Indian street Snacks are aplenty. Top three things on my list I want to eat as soon as I could: onion pakora, potato & peas samosa, and bhelpuri. I've been dying for these even if just a small amount.

My question is, based on your experience, when were you able to stomach foods with texture similar to things I mentioned above i.e. fried, carb-y, not to mention spicy? Also, how uncomfortable is it to eat something dry? I read in another thread that eating Cereal could be uncomfortable. Bhelpuri is practically dry cereal topped with spicy sauce.

You should bring your food list into your NUT or team and see what they recommend.

How far into your Journey are you?

6 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

You should bring your food list into your NUT or team and see what they recommend.

How far into your Journey are you?

I'm pretty early so not expecting to eat any of those anytime soon. Just want to know other sleevers' experiences with similar food. For example, onion pakora are practically onion rings. Is it true that oily foods are hard to stomach now that we're sleeved?

25 minutes ago, Littel_Urchin said:

I'm pretty early so not expecting to eat any of those anytime soon. Just want to know other sleevers' experiences with similar food. For example, onion pakora are practically onion rings. Is it true that oily foods are hard to stomach now that we're sleeved?

Its going to be trial and error with guessing which foods affect you in which ways.

The dietary plans are generic and the progression of stages are based on research from general population data, some people heal much faster or much slower.

So your team will be able to advance, delay and modify your diet based off of your individual needs if you ask. But they won't know you need something different unless you ask (Indian foods)

Beware most Indian foods have high (heat) spices that can irritate the stomach lining, you may experience problems because of this

Also the food you want has very little nutritional value, just comfort foods beware of why you want them so badly, but you'll figure that out along the way too

I ate samosa at 7 months post op, not a regular food for me now (southern Indian was my thing, but I want to protect my stomach from developing GERD) so I make my own curries at home now...

Work with them to see how/if you can incorporate anything off your food list into your lifestyle

Edited by GreenTealael

I just read this post and feel so good. I am 17 days post op and have the same question. I am missing some of my favorite foods and love the fact that the portion sizes will be very small.

2 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Also the food you want has very little nutritional value, just comfort foods beware of why you want them so badly, but you'll figure that out along the way too

I'm aware of this. I certainly am not looking forward to gobbling down a bucketload of onion fritters, I just miss the taste and it's hard right now because you can't even have just one bite. I also miss pastries, both the flaky and the doughy types. I went by a bakery selling Cornish pasty today and they look so good!

The Sleeve only gives you a short window to change your eating habits before regain is a possibility. At Six months out I thought I had it mastered and could introduce small amounts of Carbs and Sugar back into my diet but Once a month turns into once a day and then you find your self on the road to where you started. I have faith in you and Hope you realize that no food tastes as good as being Healthy. This is just my Personal experience but it is one that I see posted on this forum day after day. I fight regain daily and have come to realize that I have to keep choosing Healthy over that warm fuzzy lethargic feeling that comes after I have ate something that I know I shouldn't.

18 minutes ago, 2-Liter said:

The Sleeve only gives you a short window to change your eating habits before regain is a possibility. At Six months out I thought I had it mastered and could introduce small amounts of Carbs and Sugar back into my diet but Once a month turns into once a day and then you find your self on the road to where you started. I have faith in you and Hope you realize that no food tastes as good as being Healthy. This is just my Personal experience but it is one that I see posted on this forum day after day. I fight regain daily and have come to realize that I have to keep choosing Healthy over that warm fuzzy lethargic feeling that comes after I have ate something that I know I shouldn't.

You have a point. Thanks for sharing, it’s a good reminder!

I found that on some Snacks it was the spice I was missing, not necessarily the fired food. I put chipotle tabasco in my chicken Soup, my eggs and in ground meat. The spice makes it so much more flavorful. I am enjoying it more now and easing my cravings.

I waited about 3 months or so, and I don't eat them very often at all. I can't do spicy though

On 8/20/2018 at 7:11 AM, Littel_Urchin said:

I'm aware of this. I certainly am not looking forward to gobbling down a bucketload of onion fritters, I just miss the taste and it's hard right now because you can't even have just one bite. I also miss pastries, both the flaky and the doughy types. I went by a bakery selling Cornish pasty today and they look so good!

Hi there! I am 10 months post op and dont usually respond to these types of posts but I have to say that I did not even LET myself eat a french fry until like 6-8 months post op......and Ive been able to keep my consumption of fried/crappy foods to a BARE minimum and I know that I will have to forever. I am concerned that you are already dreaming of re-entering those foods into your diet once you are able to. The real answer is: you never really can! and If you are not able to restrict yourself to "a few fries" then you will not be able to have long term success period...just some food for thought :)

Am I totally weird ? Neither of these classes of food( using the term loosely) appeal to me. To me it's l8ke having a second degree burn, remember how badly it hurt,how you thought you'd never heal, people might see your scars and ask what happened. All I can see is emotional grief. I cook or fry potatoes for my Tomkitten, he is descended from centuries of potato eaters on his Daddy's side, don't tempt me. I hate to throw away those leftovers, but a moment on the lips forever on the hips and now it almost takes a cold chisel to pry the baked potato residue off of my backside. I want both the mounds of shame and love handles made out of cast iiron gone. I'm tired of folding the side fat up so I can sit in a chair with arms. It would be easier,if I could run a price I of rope through each so I could retract them up like some of those airplanes you see on the news where the tips flip up.
The last French fry I filched made my lips feel like too much Chapstick, Hmmn I thought, if it does that to my,lips, what does it do to my gastrointestinal system? Oh I would bear with it if it made #2 slide out easier, Only A&E ointment or Vasaline helps there!
So that's my take on things for now?

Some people on these post are so negative. If she wanted to be beat down about this I’m sure she could of asked her doctor to get lectured. I’m almost 2 weeks out. I wonder about when I will Be able to eat certain foods again because that is reality, sides with your Protein and so forth. Yes diet is essential but everybody and healthy people have their moments of cravings. Get off her back !

3 hours ago, Khloe617 said:

Some people on these post are so negative. If she wanted to be beat down about this I’m sure she could of asked her doctor to get lectured. I’m almost 2 weeks out. I wonder about when I will Be able to eat certain foods again because that is reality, sides with your Protein and so forth. Yes diet is essential but everybody and healthy people have their moments of cravings. Get off her back !

Lol....she asked. You’re two weeks out...leave the experience to those who have had it wink wink. Toodles!

7 hours ago, Sleevedincali said:

Lol....she asked. You’re two weeks out...leave the experience to those who have had it wink wink. Toodles!

Sweetie I don’t care if I’m 2 weeks or 20 years out. She asked when she could have the food again. Wanting feedback from those who have tried it not negativity. Grow up. If you feel like beating someone down for being human is ok then you need to fix something within yourself.