Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it possible to build muscle after the sleeve? I'm about to find out.

Christmas day check-in.

I started a new workout plan this week. Link to the plan is posted below, I am doing the Six Days on 1 day off version with Fridays as my off day. I'm up about 4 lb since last month, which I believe it's mostly muscle based on results. Currently eating about 2800 calories per day ensuring at least 150 to 170 grams of Protein per day.

Workout plan: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/6-day-powerbuilding-split-meal-plan

I feel like this far, my back is what I see the most noticeable difference in as far as muscle mass:

13584.jpeg

13596.jpeg

Edited by BlueCrush

Good work! I’ve just got my ass back in the gym and have started the StrongLifts 5x5 programme to get some strength built up. Currently squatting around the weight I’ve lost which is a funny thought!

BlueCrush u looking good my brother!!!!!! Keep up the great work.....

On 12/25/2018 at 7:33 PM, BlueCrush said:

Christmas day check-in.

I started a new workout plan this week. Link to the plan is posted below, I am doing the Six Days on 1 day off version with Fridays as my off day. I'm up about 4 lb since last month, which I believe it's mostly muscle based on results. Currently eating about 2800 calories per day ensuring at least 150 to 170 grams of Protein per day.

Workout plan: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/6-day-powerbuilding-split-meal-plan

I feel like this far, my back is what I see the most noticeable difference in as far as muscle mass:

13584.jpeg

13596.jpeg

I second the V shape comment. Gun's all day long 💪🏋️‍♂️

On 9/24/2018 at 10:49 PM, BlueCrush said:

I'm currently doing 3 sets: 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps with increasing weight for each set. For my set of 8, I'm currently at 245 squat, 245 deadlifts, and 165 bench. Been doing these lifts for about 4 weeks now. I'm 6'3" and 222lbs.

My squat form sucks, so I'm trying to focus on form and getting lower on squats. It seems I have some hip flexibility issues.

Good tip on the weight belt. I'll look into it.

So... 4 months later and my lifts have increased to (5x5 sets):

Squat: 325

Deadlift: 310

Bench: 195

I feel like my deadlift is easily the one I have the the most progress with. My squat has improved, but it's a battle every time. My bench seems to be my worst/hardest lift to progress.

My goal is to get to 1,000lbs combined between all three lifts on my 5 rep max by the end of 2019.

Edited by BlueCrush

On 1/22/2019 at 11:24 PM, BlueCrush said:

So... 4 months later and my lifts have increased to (5x5 sets):

Squat: 325

Deadlift: 310

Bench: 195

I feel like my deadlift is easily the one I have the the most progress with. My squat has improved, but it's a battle every time. My bench seems to be my worst/hardest lift to progress.

My goal is to get to 1,000lbs combined between all three lifts on my 5 rep max by the end of 2019.

Hey, great thread. I am working out 6 days a week as well, although I am not trying to get into beast mode. I don't really care how much weight I can lift, since I am not going to the gym to move Iron from one place to another. I just target the highest weight I can handle for each exercise while maintaining the best possible form I can and do it for 8-12 reps. You gain as much muscle mass going higher rep (8-12 reps) and lower weight as you would going high weight and lower rep (1-6 reps). However, keeping the weight slightly lower and increasing the reps has been proven to reduce risk of injury--and that's the last thing any of us needs. Squats and lunges are awesome compound exercises we should all try our best to incorporate, but be careful going to heavy on those (at least if you're over 40). When I was in my twenties, I could squat 365 (with ok form) and I was no worse for the wear, but if I tried to get up to that now (at age 44), it would kill my knees (tendons and ligaments) even if my muscles could handle it.

Have you tried a crossfit program?? Do a three sets then sprint on the treadmill for 6 minutes, then do your next group of sets, sprint again or use the rowing machine etc. You keep your weight a little lower and you try for max reps (maybe some take downs). Keep the rest period between sets to no more than 30-40 seconds. I just tried it this week with a guy I know from my gym that competes in fitness competitions. He has less than 12% body fat even when he's not prepping for a competition and he never goes very heavy on weight volume. It's been eye opening for me to see his workouts because I always went lower reps, higher weight when I was younger and that's not the look I want at this point in my life.

Have not seen an update in a while. How are you doing?

On 2/18/2019 at 7:10 AM, Healthy_life2 said:

Have not seen an update in a while. How are you doing?

Still going strong. My lifts are still increasing, though I'd say not nearly as quickly as when I first started. Same could be said with building muscle.the first 6 months it seemed like muscle packed on quickly. It seems to build much slower now. I'm still working out 6 days per week.

A couple of bathroom selfies tonight:

20190220_222634.jpg

20190220_222601.jpg

Still going strong. My lifts are still increasing, though I'd say not nearly as quickly as when I first started. Same could be said with building muscle.the first 6 months it seemed like muscle packed on quickly. It seems to build much slower now. I'm still working out 6 days per week.

20190220_222634.thumb.jpg.3d70bb0404f7c96df0b6ea76c6cee758.jpg
20190220_222601.thumb.jpg.75111bf3e22a3d7fce313dbf89e659af.jpg
You look amazing!

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

20190220_222634.thumb.jpg.3d70bb0404f7c96df0b6ea76c6cee758.jpg
20190220_222601.thumb.jpg.75111bf3e22a3d7fce313dbf89e659af.jpg
summer body ready[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Well done mate, I’ve been working on my caloric intake and I’ve been training 6 days a week weights and a little cardio, definitely noticing muscle definition. I’m sitting around
2,200 calories I’ve gained about 2.43 pounds in 1 month which I would say is muscle. According to a lot of the TDEE calculators I’ve entered my info into online they all say around 2,200-2,400 being maintenance. I’m worried shitless about increasing calories more it’s a total mind game! Any suggestions. My current macros are around 220 grams of Protein 200-220 grams of carbs and 60 grams of fat.

Use tdee as a starting point, but adjust based on your results. I'm currently around 2800 calories per day and have been floating around the same 1lb of weight for roughly 5 weeks now, so I think I've found my maintenance calories. I'm 6'3" tall and lift weights 6x per week, but have a sedentary desk job during the day.

Le than 60 days until my scheduled plastic surgery to remove all this loose skin. Been working on building this base. I'm already dreading not being able to work out for 8 weeks post-op :(

20190304_200917.jpg

Yeah, but what a boost to your confidence when the "outside" matches the new "inside"!