Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it possible to build muscle after the sleeve? I'm about to find out.

Not making the time for myself is what got me to 300 pounds in the first place. Never again. All the gym work I do is to support my fencing - I've set a goal to try to qualify for the women's national team for my age group when I'm in my 60s.

That's awesome. I've sort of started fencing but I am doing HEMA - Historical European Martial Arts. Doing Longsword and my club is movng into adding saber and singlestick.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

I've been trying to incorporate more complex lifts into my routine. Specifically deadlifts, squats, lunges, pull-ups, etc. I've been seeing some good gains in my arms, shoulders, and legs. :)

20180923_100751.mp4

6540.jpeg

Screenshot_20180923-212425_Video Player.jpg

Edited by BlueCrush

Awesome job bro. I'm dreading pull ups when i can get there and found this video to hopefully help with them last night. Next search is for dips.

I am interested in how your squat & deadlift numbers progress. I have no one to talk to about those specific lifts that has had gastric surgery. I am stuck and I want to know if it is from the restricted caloric intake or the lifetime of injuries that is preventing my increases. 250 squat and 260 deadlift are my 5 rep max. And that is after 2 years of lifting.

I cannot put into words how frustrating that is.

Oh... if you are going to be serious about squats and deads, get a belt. A real leather belt, not velcro. Then weightlifting shoes. Stability is muy importante.

1 hour ago, BigViffer said:

I am interested in how your squat & deadlift numbers progress. I have no one to talk to about those specific lifts that has had gastric surgery. I am stuck and I want to know if it is from the restricted caloric intake or the lifetime of injuries that is preventing my increases. 250 squat and 260 deadlift are my 5 rep max. And that is after 2 years of lifting.

Are you working with a trainer? Maybe they can help you get past the "stuck" point. I've been deadlifting about a year and started with squats about 3 months ago. I'm 5'3" tall and weight 154 right now. I don't use a belt or lifting shoes. I can back squat 215 and front squat about 165 (I have issues with holding the bar for a front squat - it really hurts my collar bones and shoulders - can't bend my hands back in the way needed to support the bar.) I deadlift about 200-215 right now, which is well over my bodyweight. I can do 195 for 5. I do single leg RDLs with about 105. I do glute bridges with 125.

I'm working on my clean and jerk and sntach. I can clean about 75 pounds, but my upper body strength stinks. But my form is good.

But working with a trainer who understands lifting has been so important - with understanding how to do weeks with deloading and then ramping back up for new PRs.

11 hours ago, BigViffer said:

I'm currently doing 3 sets: 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps with increasing weight for each set. For my set of 8, I'm currently at 245 squat, 245 deadlifts, and 165 bench. Been doing these lifts for about 4 weeks now. I'm 6'3" and 222lbs.

My squat form sucks, so I'm trying to focus on form and getting lower on squats. It seems I have some hip flexibility issues.

Good tip on the weight belt. I'll look into it.

I have issues with my hips and I found quite a few videos on the good old YouTube on how to stretch them out and get more mobility. Really simple maneuvers.

19 hours ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

Are you working with a trainer?

I am fortunate enough to have access to a certified Starting Strength coach about 45 minutes away. She believes that my diet and injuries contribute to the lack of progress. I am finally coming around to believing her.

9 hours ago, BlueCrush said:

I'm currently doing 3 sets: 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps with increasing weight for each set. For my set of 8, I'm currently at 245 squat, 245 deadlifts, and 165 bench. Been doing these lifts for about 4 weeks now. I'm 6'3" and 222lbs.

My squat form sucks, so I'm trying to focus on form and getting lower on squats. It seems I have some hip flexibility issues.

Good tip on the weight belt. I'll look into it.

Well I would say that cinches it, it has taken me years to get to 245-ish on squat. In regards to squat form, get that nailed down before going up in weight. As a matter of fact, you should drop that weight down until you can go below parallel. You are going to hurt your knees and probably your lumbar spine. Find the Starting Strength 3rd edition and read it cover to cover. Amazing book.

If you are wanting raw strength, seriously consider doing 5 reps for 3 sets after a warmup. Drop sets good for size, but for strength, titration to a working set weight is superior.

I know I shouldn't complain and whine about these weights, pro-op my left leg was virtually dead. I couldn't even pick it up to climb the stairs. But I guess that is the nature of the male ego.

Viffer,

I have to adjust all of my stated weights down by 10 lb as I found out that the barbell I've been using is only 35 pounds. That being said, I did do a couple of one rep max tests this week and have found my max one-rep deadlift is 305 and squat is 295. I tried like hell to get to 300 squat so I can say it's at 300, but it just wasn't happening LOL

On 8/19/2018 at 11:31 PM, BlueCrush said:

A bit about me: I had the sleeve surgery in December 2017 period. I've lost a total of 181 pounds since last May, and now I'm looking to gain some muscle mass. I'm currently sitting at 225lbs pounds and 6'2.5" tall.

So many unanswered questions of not been able to find good responses to. Things such as how to start eating any calorie surplus now that I want to add muscle. Will I be able to eat enough to add muscle? Follow me on this thread and I will track my journey for any others that may follow the same path.

Starting status:

8/17/18 - 225lbs

31843.jpeg

Hey you look great! I’m following this thread!

On 9/25/2018 at 12:20 AM, J San said:

I have issues with my hips and I found quite a few videos on the good old YouTube on how to stretch them out and get more mobility. Really simple maneuvers.

Do you mind sharing those videos? Ever since having 2 babies back to back I’ve felt like my hips are out of whack. Would love to try something that relieves me of that feeling. Thanks so much!

This next one is with resistance bands.

I am very interested. I had complications from the sleeve. I was already down to 165lbs and had to have a revision to bypass. There were more complications and I was in the hospital for 3 weeks, two of which were NPO before they put me on TPN. I lost another 20lbs, but a ton of muscle mass. Being a bypass patient it’s hard getting enough calories to support working out. I’m dying to see what advice if any you can offer.