Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before surgery my husband and I would go to Texas roadhouse on Wednesdays for date night, They have an 8 oz sirloin special for cheap. We would sit at the bar. Usually before dinner I would have at least 3-4 cans of light beer (so I didn't spend as much money at the restaurant trying to catch a buzz). We would order an appetizer and eat the bread and peanuts while we waited for it. Then we'd eat the app. Then the salad. Then the meal; steak and mashed potatoes. Not to mention I am drinking probably 3 large beers during the meal. Afterward, we'd go home and chill for a couple hours. Then I would go in and snack off anything we brought home.

I celebrated a month post op this past week so I told my husband Id love to have some steak so we thought wed give it a try. Going in I knew I would NEVER be able to have what I used to have. But I missed our nights out together and thought it would be a good test.

WOW.

We sat at the bar and I ordered a beer. I know, I know I know - But I am an adult and I wanted to see how I would react to a beer. I couldn't even finish half of it. I only ordered a salad planning on eating off my husbands plate. I ate some peanuts but skipped the rolls. We got our salads and I was able to take about 3 bites. The meal came out and I literally had 4 tiny pieces of steak from my husbands meal. I was a so full I was sick!!!!

It was a lesson to be had. No more beer for me, At least not for a long time. I felt like **** and it kept me from being able to have regular food because it was so bloating. I knew I couldn't drink after I started eating so I don't know why I even bothered. But at least I know now. And any thirst I had for beer is GONE. So, I don't have to worry about missing out on it.

I can't believe how much I used to eat and it makes me sad that I let myself get that way. Its been rough replacing food with other things, but that's what I've been doing. I had let my life revolve around food and my next meal so much that I was missing out on actually living. Everyday is a new adventure and a new lesson.

1 hour ago, Tracy1978 said:

Before surgery my husband and I would go to Texas roadhouse on Wednesdays for date night, They have an 8 oz sirloin special for cheap. We would sit at the bar. Usually before dinner I would have at least 3-4 cans of light beer (so I didn't spend as much money at the restaurant trying to catch a buzz). We would order an appetizer and eat the bread and peanuts while we waited for it. Then we'd eat the app. Then the salad. Then the meal; steak and mashed potatoes. Not to mention I am drinking probably 3 large beers during the meal. Afterward, we'd go home and chill for a couple hours. Then I would go in and snack off anything we brought home.

I celebrated a month post op this past week so I told my husband Id love to have some steak so we thought wed give it a try. Going in I knew I would NEVER be able to have what I used to have. But I missed our nights out together and thought it would be a good test.

WOW.

We sat at the bar and I ordered a beer. I know, I know I know - But I am an adult and I wanted to see how I would react to a beer. I couldn't even finish half of it. I only ordered a salad planning on eating off my husbands plate. I ate some peanuts but skipped the rolls. We got our salads and I was able to take about 3 bites. The meal came out and I literally had 4 tiny pieces of steak from my husbands meal. I was a so full I was sick!!!!

It was a lesson to be had. No more beer for me, At least not for a long time. I felt like **** and it kept me from being able to have regular food because it was so bloating. I knew I couldn't drink after I started eating so I don't know why I even bothered. But at least I know now. And any thirst I had for beer is GONE. So, I don't have to worry about missing out on it.

I can't believe how much I used to eat and it makes me sad that I let myself get that way. Its been rough replacing food with other things, but that's what I've been doing. I had let my life revolve around food and my next meal so much that I was missing out on actually living. Everyday is a new adventure and a new lesson.

Why would you have a beer? From what my doctor told me, alcohol is abrasive on the staples, and the little bits of flesh that were stapled can erode and you can get a leak in your stomach that can be life threatening.

I cannot imagine why on earth you would risk it.

Maybe I should clarify that at my one month post op I was cleared to resume normal activities as tolerated. You know the saying opinions are like a-holes? This goes for doctors too. If you read these forums you will see just how different pre-op and post op diets/rules are depending on the surgeon or practice.

As for beer "eroding" my staple line; Would you say the same thing if I said I drank a fountain coke? I could understand your worry if I had said I drank a six pack. The fact is beer is heavily carbonated, and like soda, we are to refrain from it because it is empty calories and can cause excessive gas - which you have after surgery anyway.

Why on Earth would I do that? Because I am a normal human being and being social is part of that. I am not swearing off alcohol for life and I wanted to see how it effected me since I was cleared by my doctor. Thank you for your judgmental concern.

I don't drink,but I understand a little of your motivation. You were checking" Hmmn let me see if I'm still Tracy after my surgery?" And you body said No No little girl! You're still Tracy but you are a remodeled refurbished Tracy. That expensive surgery, it did something to you. Beer tasted yucky, couldn't stuff things in like you used to? Honey, the surgery worked ,didn't it? No more eating like a field hand, no more cowboy benders, no more just" one of the guys" Road house Ruby turned into Calm, Careful Claire and you're better for it. I don't drink but my own Ah Ha moment will be ahead. My grand-daddy and late Hubby's grand-daddy both had a saying, his in Dutch, mine is country English " Them that don't listen, gotta feel!" Very true,very tru!

2 hours ago, Tracy1978 said:

WOW.

I totally get what you're saying. I think you did really well. You've found out that if you skip the beer, you and hubby can still enjoy your Road House date nights and you can stay on your eating plan. It was a good learning experience.

Just now, Frustr8 said:

I don't drink,but I understand a little of your motivation. You were checking" Hmmn let me see if I'm still Tracy after my surgery?" And you body said No No little girl! You're still Tracy but you are a remodeled refurbished Tracy. That expensive surgery, it did something to you. Beer tasted yucky, couldn't stuff things in like you used to? Honey, the surgery worked ,didn't it? No more eating like a field hand, no more cowboy benders, no more just" one of the guys" Road house Ruby turned into Calm, Careful Claire and you're better for it. I don't drink but my own Ah Ha moment will be ahead. My grand-daddy and late Hubby's grand-daddy both had a saying, his in Dutch, mine is country English " Them that don't listen, gotta feel!" Very true,very tru!

Thank you!!!! You get it exactly. For 30 of my 40 years I have been obese. I ate and drank what I wanted when I wanted. This has been a major change in my life. This hands down the hardest, most eye opening experience of my life. At this point I have been on a strict hardcore diet for at least the last 6-7 weeks. My husband has been a great support. I felt like we both deserved a night out as a treat. While we had a nice time and it was awesome to find out how cheap of a date I am now (it was good to get out as a couple again) we both agreed it just wasn't the same and that a we could find new things to do together that don't necessarily involve food.

And yes, the surgery worked...and I am grateful for it. Part of learning to live again after WLS is definitely a learning curve. Just because you feel mentally prepared doesn't mean you wont have to deal with old habits. Its trial and error and you find what works best for you. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

I'm a little more alarmed by the 'try ALL the food choices' than the beer. Please don't do this again so early on, 'normal activities' really doesn't include random food choices. Those food stages are usually for a reason, you have no idea how your new surgery will react to introducing new foods and it was a big risk trying all that before you are healed, especially those peanuts. Please get your head wrapped around the concept that you are NOT healed yet. Glad the lesson learned made you reconsider, we all have those learning curves. Slow down, enjoy your date night for the attention, the dressing up, the conversations - not the food. I actually think a new date night tradition should be in your plans - maybe bowling, or see a play together, or play darts (skip the beer lol), less food as a destination.

GOOD LUCK.

That's why I hang my hat in Tennessee! I guess distance makes their 💜no fonder, when all is said and done÷😧