Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain 1 Year After Sleeve depressed not enough weight loss

I’m feeling a little depressed of lately and have been eating my emotions away.. I’m 1 year post gastric sleeve i only lost a total of 70lbs i was hoping to loose at least a 100 or more based on most people i know lost 100 or more. I only lost 70 but i know why because I’ve been eating off way off...

In addition i gained like 6-7lbs i was 268 now I’m 274.i started at 243 I have to get back in track i got really excited that i can eat and been snacking on a lot of nuts plus i wanna work out more haven’t done it consistently since surgery.. i also wanna do the Keto diet have anyone tried keto or intermittent fasting after gastric sleeve...

I know i ‘m my own downfall when it comes to my diet!!!!

I’ve been thru so much with surgery and complications i dont wanna gain it back i need some motivation and some inspiration...

Feeling so defeated

This may be an unpopular answer, but why focus on Keto or IF? Your problem doesn’t seem to be losing weight. You lost 70 lbs after WLS, and I miss sure in many other diets I never your life. Why not find a sustainable diet you can live with long term?

Hi kitty you’re absolutely right... i was considering IF it Keto to reset my eating habits... and try to lose 30lbs i fell off really bad from my diet I’m so disappointed

So why not just go back to basics, lean Protein first, then non starchy veg, then healthy carbs?

It just sounds to me like you are looking for a quick fix, instead of focusing on why you gained and looking for a sustainable long term plan. So you drop this 30 and then what?

I’m not looking for a quick fix at all. I’m going to try that going back to my post op diet.... i wanted to lose 30lbs more then maintain i felt like i didnt lose enough like i should of lost more... and my doctor Assitant even took me i could of lost more so i felt a bit defeated 😕... i dont want a quick honestly i just need to be healthier but i wish i wasnt such an emotional eater and since surgery i snack more than i eat regular food which is bad i know it’s bad i need to be a lot more responsible what i put in. MY system... then i hate Protein Shakes the only one i like is Quest do u know any other nice Protein Shake

I like the NitroTech Performance Series Protein Powder that my husband gets on bodybuilding.com. I've had chocolate, mocha Cappuccino swirl, vanilla, and cinnamon swirl flavors - all pretty good.

How do you mix your Protein Shakes? Have you tried adding different things to enhance the flavor?

Sometimes I might mix in a tsp of unsweet cocoa for a darker chocolate flavor, or 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, a sprinkle of ground cinnamon, or one of the sugar free Torani flavors. If you like coffee, you can mix some instant Decaf in or some brewed coffee for an iced Protein coffee - soooo good!

To keep me satisfied longer I will mix a half cup of greek yogurt, or unsweetened soy milk or almond milk with ice and blend it. (I just choose one to keep the calories low.)

You can get back on track, just make a plan and make it happen. Remember, the first few days will be the hardest, but you will see results and feel better, then it will get easier.

I use the fair life fat free milk sometimes i add banana or Peanut Butter, or sometimes i add halo top ice cream to take away the proteiny taste... i dont drink nor do i like coffee but the other flavors u mention sound really yummy i might just try that... i normally do the Protein Shakes for Breakfast only wonder if i can do it for dinner as well... i will look into the ones you mentioned thank you

Do you log your food? You can try myfitnesspal app and just try to be aware of the calories in food you consume and maybe create some calorie deficit while still feeling satisfied and enjoying food you like to eat. You still have your tool that will help you be less hungry and feel satisfied more quickly, you just have to make it work. Good luck!

In case the snacking is carbs or sweet tasting things (even sugar free, yes), try avoiding all sweet tastes period. Cravings come from the gut bacteria. You might need 4-5 days of killing the sugar craving bacteria off, which may take willpower (I hate using willpower). But thereafter, use just starchy and non starchy root veggies as your carbs to feed the gut bugs. After you get your Proteins.

Snacking per se is not bad. If you feel actual hunger and it’s not an assigned meal, eat Protein. It will solve the hunger feeling. Even one lone string cheese can stop actual hunger. And after each protein food, you can add a veg carb. Some sweet potato, yeah, add butter. Or a salad. Eat less of it than you ate the protein, but it will start satisfying the better species of gut bug! And you won’t crave processed carbs any more. One roasted beet with sea salt will do it for ya. Good luck.

i am a year out too and almost lost 65 lbs but I am happy because that is about what I had to lose.

Another trick for during the work day. Have a protein ready but try to go another 30 mins before eating it... Then maybe another 30 mins... a tiny bit of IF that can be easy to incorporate.

@shalove first of all, you're beautiful and 70 pounds is great! They say we can keep losing well, forever if we keep working it (I mean until we hit goal). So you're definitely not done! Everyone will give you different advice, you do you! We know that higher Protein and cutting out the simple carbs is what we should do. I eat nuts almost everyday, I always measure them out and I'm crazy anal about using my Baritastic app