Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mashed potatoes

I found that mashed potatoes are my go-to food. I have taken a bite or two of a few different items but it seems like after a long day a nice little bowl mashed potatoes is just perfect. Another thing that I am discovering I really like is hot tea I was a huge sweet tea drinker before my surgery, but now I really enjoy a cup of hot tea one every few days it just seems to make my stomach feel great. Anybody else have any go-to foods or drinks that they want to share?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

Is this a legit post? Are you pre or post-op? Are you trying to lose weight or in maintenance?

Mashed potatoes are considered a slider food, with low nutrition, so for most bariatric patients and normal eaters, not a regular food staple.

Yes a legit post. I am post op, and yes I know that they are considered a slider food. I was just trying to see what foods others have found settle on their new stomachs, after surgery and transitioning from liquid, to pureed, its not easy to know what will and will not settle. Trust me potatoes are not on the regular menu, and when i do enjoy them its 2 or 3 little bites. So calm yourself.

You called them your go to food, so... Just own it.

My go to foods at your stage were curry stewed haddock, mashed white sweet potato (with unflavored whey protein), yogurt and Salmon pâté (I still eat the yogurt and the salmon)

CONGRATS !!!

10 minutes ago, Kimbero said:

Oh I own it, no where does it say a go to EVERYDAY.... I never thought about putting my Protein Powder in them. But yes I still have yogurt with Protein powder also. I hope yogurt is OK with the food police.

Your choices only need to be ok with you, i dont believe in virtually police anyone...

Only unflavored Protein works, preferably pure whey that's used for cooking because it melts right in.

Edited by GreenTealael

I suspect,mine will be cheesy potato Soup, but,i will make sure it has extra Protein to it. Make slider into a slow semi-slider. I realized recently most of my comfort foods have a calorie count, so either give them up or make them a little less sinful. Of course I haven't had my surgery so I could be worried about October food.< /p>

When we begin to believe that potatoes or any whole foods were responsible for the obesity we experienced, we are kidding ourselves. Complex multi ingredients chemically altered tastebud enhancing high calorie hidden sugars partially hydrogenated foods did it.

Whats a mashed potato at home in the scope of things?

Edited by GreenTealael

I always have Greek yogurt on hand. I like Oikos triple zero the best. Yoplait just came out with a yogurt that is made using ultra filtered milk that has a similar nutritional profile that I like too.

For meals I like a dense Protein, Aidell makes a great chicken sausage. I eat lots of salmon and chicken dishes I make in my slow cooker.

my go to food at the moment is cooked shrimp. I don't seem to do well with most meats except soft meatballs and occasionally soft fish. So shrimp it is with cocktail sauce. I will be 3 months post op in 10 days. I try to stay away from carbs, no rice or Pasta but I will eat a little bit of mashed sweet potato with onion powder in it. I still like my blended Soups with blended meat in it. Still can't hack chicken or pork.

I always have small packs of peanuts at home. They are my most popular thing to eat when I am on the road. I only have one pack a day. 180 cals per pack

Edited by BajanSleeve

13 hours ago, Kimbero said:

I found that mashed potatoes are my go-to food. I have taken a bite or two of a few different items but it seems like after a long day a nice little bowl mashed potatoes is just perfect. Another thing that I am discovering I really like is hot tea I was a huge sweet tea drinker before my surgery, but now I really enjoy a cup of hot tea one every few days it just seems to make my stomach feel great. Anybody else have any go-to foods or drinks that they want to share?

My sleeve can tolerate anything. I have choose my foods wisely to make them fit my macro goals. (calories, Protein, carbs,fats)

foods i'm enjoying at the moment:

Ground turkey 99% lean - taco or fajita seasoning and salad

Canned chicken - 50/50 salad mix - blue cheese - strawberries - skinny girl raspberry vinaigrette The salty sweet combination is wonderful

Crab meat, chopped seeded cucumber, celery, carrot and a bit of olive oil mayo. topped with slices of avocado.

drinks:

Love chai tea in/winter fall. Iced tea in the summer

pre workout drink before the gym

crystal light mojito lime

12 hours ago, Kimbero said:

Oh I own it, no where does it say a go to EVERYDAY.... I never thought about putting my Protein Powder in them. But yes I still have yogurt with Protein powder also. I hope yogurt is OK with the food police.

Take what is useful..ignor the rest.

Most people come from a place of caring when they look at food choices..call it food police if you like.

I stay away from any meats still, except for a fine shaved turkey breast, but yes tuna, salmon, I tried crab salad but it just didnt taste good. I have never been a big cheese eater even before my surgery, but i have tried a string cheese but like 2 small bites.

I can’t believe the judging going on here! I lived on instant mashed potatoes my first 2 weeks post op! And after 4 1/2 months I will still have some if my stomach is feeling iffy! The quantity is nowhere close enough to do any harm! Do what works for you! Congratulations and continued success!