Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

53 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

I’m gonna be the odd duck here; but while I am truly sorry you had to hear what they were saying.... what is the HIPPA violation here? They were in a closed office with the door locked, taking amongst themselves. It was not meant for anyone else to hear, they believed they were in a private, secure, locked, closed office. They did not mention a name or any confidential medical information. They were letting off steam and venting in the black humor those who deal with life or death medical and mental health scenarios do.

I may get stoned for this, but what did they violate?

Oh, and they do NOT deal with "life or death scenarios." As I wrote in earlier posts, their office closes at 4pm, opens at 9am. They see people in the office. The one time I actually came in with blood pressure of 70/50 and dizziness, they left me in the waiting room for 1 hour. They know NOTHING of dealing with real emergencies. In the 14 years this physician has been in practice, never has there been a patient death. I was an ER nurse. I know from "life or death medical and mental health scenarios." Further, even in the ER, if we EVER did joke about a patient--typically never about the body but about a bogus story about how a man got a Shampoo bottle stuck up his anus ("I fell in the shower), we did it in the BREAK ROOM, which is located strategically far from patient rooms. Just curious, do you work in healthcare/medicine?

50 minutes ago, 2shea said:

I know nothing of HIPPA as I am in Australia, so can't have an opinion whether they did or didn't violate the regulation.

What did they violate? In my opinion, good old plain human decency. Laughing about a patient's arms or other body part is not letting off steam or venting in a black humour way, they were being downright nasty and mean spirited towards a patient/client. It doesn't make it any less so that they were among themselves behind a closed door thinking they couldn't be heard.

Oh, and sorry about not being clear in my OP. They were laughing about my SIDE BOOB coming out of my dress. This only hit me as I replayed the scene in my mind going down on the elevator. I was so stunned, initially I wasn't clear what I heard. But my son confirmed what I heard. I can't update the OP, I don't think or else I would! Thanks. :)

There are so many fields that have now enacted similar privacy and privileged acts to stop this type of nonsense, mandatory retraining now...

2 hours ago, jess9395 said:

I’m gonna be the odd duck here; but while I am truly sorry you had to hear what they were saying.... what is the HIPPA violation here? They were in a closed office with the door locked, taking amongst themselves. It was not meant for anyone else to hear, they believed they were in a private, secure, locked, closed office. They did not mention a name or any confidential medical information. They were letting off steam and venting in the black humor those who deal with life or death medical and mental health scenarios do.

I'm sure they are the type of people that have been doing this all their lives... Bad behaviors don't start at 32

Oh and I forgot they violated a clause in the Hippocratic oath

"Into whatsoever houses I enter, I will enter to help the sick, and I will abstain from all intentional wrong-doing and harm, especially from abusing the bodies of man or woman, bond or free. And whatsoever I shall see or hear in the course of my profession, as well as outside my profession in my intercourse with men, if it be what should not be published abroad, I will never divulge, holding such things to be holy secrets."

Edited by GreenTealael

I read this post in tears. I am so sorry that you had to experience this. I will pray that your heart will heal from this event. Be strong and absolutely report it.

In my mind I’m picturing a Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman scene, where she tells the nasty lady in the store, “big mistake”. Lol, my mind just goes there. Seriously though, I’m really pissed off on your behalf, definitely file a report. Just know that you are an amazing warrior, fighting cancer and losing all that weight!! We all have your back!

2 hours ago, jess9395 said:

HIPAA is pretty specific on when and how a person's information can be used. It wouldn't matter where they told each this or if it was meant for anyone but themselves. The issue is if there was no "need to know". If there was no pertinent medical reason for them to be sharing her health information then it would be a HIPAA violation. Locked door or otherwise. Further, the fact that the patient herself overheard the conversation is proof enough that they weren't being discreet. If she could overhear their conversation, who's to say they couldn't have shared tons of other health information? That's the issue HR is going to have when this complaint comes through.

If they had been talking without using ANY identifying information i.e. "she had her teenage son with her" it would be rude but likely wouldn't be an actual case. However, in my healthcare experience, I have seen people fired for much less tbh.

On 08/18/2018 at 18:42, virginiaRN said:

Oh, and they do NOT deal with "life or death scenarios." As I wrote in earlier posts, their office closes at 4pm, opens at 9am. They see people in the office. The one time I actually came in with blood pressure of 70/50 and dizziness, they left me in the waiting room for 1 hour. They know NOTHING of dealing with real emergencies. In the 14 years this physician has been in practice, never has there been a patient death. I was an ER nurse. I know from "life or death medical and mental health scenarios." Further, even in the ER, if we EVER did joke about a patient--typically never about the body but about a bogus story about how a man got a Shampoo bottle stuck up his anus ("I fell in the shower), we did it in the BREAK ROOM, which is located strategically far from patient rooms. Just curious, do you work in healthcare/medicine?

My misunderstanding. I thought they were in the office and both involved in the care. I stand corrected.

Yes. I do.

I don’t disagree that what they did was rude, catty and whatever else has been said. I was just talking about the HIPPA issue. I misunderstood the situation—seemed to me like the break room Shampoo bottle situation you describe. A locked office after hours. My mistake.

Nope. Walking in the hallway & talking abt patient details is the kind of stuff covered in first semester of clinicals, in any part of the medical profession, as you know. No worries. My post was more of a stream of consciousness, a vent. Certainly not organized very well. ✌🏽

34 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

My misunderstanding. I thought they were in the office and both involved in the care. I stand corrected.

Yes. I do.

No worries.

As a long time nurse myself, your story sickens me. I know there are co-workers and healthcare personnel out there like this, and I truly believe they should be reported. Not only because they were unprofessional, violated HIPAA and caused you, as a patient, emotional pain; but because your son heard it too. You need to show him that you will stand up for yourself. Hugs for you and bad vibes to bad caregivers.

I’ve been through hell and back. What would I do? Let their boss know, get over and move on. You don’t want to spend all your good energy hitting over someone who is not really all that important in your life. It’s already happened, you can’t change a thing. What you can change is your way of thinking. Place your energy onto something you enjoy rather than these idiots.

Ps. No idea how to edit or anything here but I forgot to add:

A few years ago I would have worried about all that stuff. Going to hell and back makes you realise that those people are not important. You are, and the ones that love you are. Don’t let them get to you. It is human nature for everyone to comment on everyone whether it is complimentary or not. Some people are just more horrible than others. They will have forgotten about it by now and although you don’t, you are the only one who can change it. Do something for yourself and put your energy into that. I’m sure the manager will respond to them especially if it’s in writing. Then.... move on. X

You poor thing, that is horrendous. You are a beautiful strong woman, those absolute b****s have no idea the battle your body and mind have done to get you to the point you’re at today. The worst thing about that is that they have nothing better to do then to body shame to pass the day. You’re better than that and you handled it like a queen.