Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Got Sleeved! My Experience Thus Far

I’m one day out.

So far so very, very, very good! It all went so fast. I arrived at the hospital at 6.30am, by 11am I was recovering.

Being put under is realy a wonder, I remember they put the oxygen mask on, the anesthesiologist said she was putting the drug in, and then it all went dark, like somebody flipped a switch. Next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery.

I was fully awake by 1pm. Between 11am - 1pm it was hazy. I was bracing myself for the gas pain BUT to my delight, it was very manageable. None in my shoulder or chest, only upper stomach, and it wasn’t even that bad. I get painful bloating during period and I thought the gas pain would be something like that only more intense- NOPE. It was very manageable for me.

I dealt with it by sitting up on the bed, leaning forward while hugging a pillow and simply tap my back and neck gently to make myself burp a lot. The gas discomfort subsided quickly after burping and half an hour later I was able to lie on my back and get some rest.

It’s kind of weird that my doc didn’t get me on my feet right away as so many of you have said. I only started walking a full day after surgery but I was moving around in my bed alot without any issue. I could get up and down on my own and the soreness of the incision sites is akin to sore muscle after exercise. I had to take a peek at my tummy to confirm that they really did do the surgery because I really wasn’t in that much pain.

Overall I’m very happy with my experience. Currently there’s still residual gas discomfort and soreness on the incision sites but very manageable. If the gas moves I feel nauseated but it only lasts about 2 seconds every now and then. I’m just taking it easy. Starting Optifast soon.

P.S. Everyone on my team is very pleased. They keep saying the surgery went very successfully. They also seem happy that I was able to stick to the 2 weeks pre-op liquid diet which has seen me drop from 104.5kg to 97.9kg on the day of surgery, which might have contributed to the success of the surgery. Looking back to those 2 weeks of hell, I’m glad I stuck it out, now I am filled with a sense of accomplishment so lesson here: stick it out, folks! You won’t regret it :)

Edited by Littel_Urchin

So happy for you!! My surgery is tomorrow (Friday) and I am so so so so so so scared!! 😭😭😭😭

4 minutes ago, jultrim18 said:

So happy for you!! My surgery is tomorrow (Friday) and I am so so so so so so scared!! 😭😭😭😭

It’ll be over before you even know it :) Wish you a successful surgery!

1 minute ago, Littel_Urchin said:

It’ll be over before you even know it :) Wish you a successful surgery!

Thank you! I really appreciate other people’s positivity since I am lacking it! I don’t know how I am going to sleep, hence me being awake at 4:13am!

4 minutes ago, jultrim18 said:

Thank you! I really appreciate other people’s positivity since I am lacking it! I don’t know how I am going to sleep, hence me being awake at 4:13am!

What time do you need to be at the hospital? I know it’s hard what with all the nerves and excitement, I myself only got about 4 hrs of sleep before my surgery. Just breathe :)

I'm 9 days post surgery and not hungry at all which is great! I had a lot of pain with gas afterwards up in my shoulders but was up the afternoon of surgery walking around. I am still of free fluids still which I'm used to now but I am constantly feeling like I want to burp like there is gas trapped in my stomach. I have felt nauseous a couple of times and taking an antacid. How is yours going? Trying to adjust to my new normal but very happy though.

Edited by Leesha B
changed 10 days to 9 days

58 minutes ago, Leesha B said:

I am constantly feeling like I want to burp like there is gas trapped in my stomach. I have felt nauseous a couple of times and taking an antacid. How is yours going? Trying to adjust to my new normal but very happy though.

Have you tried leaning forward and gently tap your back? It works wonder for me. I’m 4 days out now, doc gave me meds for nausea and acid reflux but so far i don’t feel the need to take them. I find dairy products to cause the most nausea but it only lasted 2 secs with each sip. I am also eating Tomato Soup made with low fat milk (allowed by my dietitian to boost Protein intake and for variety) and it, too, causes nausea. Optifast is a torture because there’s just too much in one serving and it thickens the longer it sits. I’d rather 3 scoops of Ensure + 2 scoops myotein. Today I got myself protein Water and my body agrees with it! Mild to no nausea, and you can boost your water + protein intake in one go. Have you tried them?

10 minutes ago, Littel_Urchin said:

Have you tried leaning forward and gently tap your back? It works wonder for me. I’m 4 days out now, doc gave me meds for nausea and acid reflux but so far i don’t feel the need to take them. I find dairy products to cause the most nausea but it only lasted 2 secs with each sip. I am also eating Tomato Soup made with low fat milk (allowed by my dietitian to boost Protein intake and for variety) and it, too, causes nausea. Optifast is a torture because there’s just too much in one serving and it thickens the longer it sits. I’d rather 3 scoops of Ensure + 2 scoops myotein. Today I got myself Protein Water and my body agrees with it! Mild to no nausea, and you can boost your Water + protein intake in one go. Have you tried them?

I've never heard of protein water! I'll have to try it, I only took the nausea meds the first days when I came home. I wasn't sure if Tomato Soup would give me heartburn (love the stuff though) I've been making broths and a stew (for hubby too) but found that it was too much, I'll have to freeze it and try again in a couple weeks. I'm having the up and go drinks in the box but can only have like 1/3 then have to put it back to the fridge. I just bought some calcium chews as I run low anyways. Nice to be able to chat with someone who is so close on the journey.

1 hour ago, Leesha B said:

I've never heard of Protein water! I'll have to try it, I only took the nausea meds the first days when I came home. I wasn't sure if Tomato Soup would give me heartburn (love the stuff though) I've been making broths and a stew (for hubby too) but found that it was too much, I'll have to freeze it and try again in a couple weeks. I'm having the up and go drinks in the box but can only have like 1/3 then have to put it back to the fridge. I just bought some calcium chews as I run low anyways. Nice to be able to chat with someone who is so close on the journey.

Nice to talk to you, too! How's the pain 9 days out? Do you still take pain meds? I'm considering stopping it because the pain meds make me drowsy and lethargic, I was sleeping alot day 2-3 post op and I hate it.

Yeah, if you can get your hands on them, try protein Water. Mine called Prowater, it has 25g of protein per bottle and 480ml of liquid that can be counted as water intake. I like the pineapple coconut flavor, tastes like virgin pina colada.

I can't stand clear broth so I add a little bit of miso paste to it, my dietitian is ok with this.

Are you still on full liquid diet? Can't wait till I can eat more stuff like silken tofu, pumpkin Soup, or scrambled eggs. My dietitian says no to these for the first 2 weeks post op.