Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you start counting carbs and exercising

My nutrishionist told me they recommend counting carbs and fats after a year post op. I am 2 months post. Has anyone else been told this as well? If not what do you do carb wise daily? I am so worried to eat wrong and mess up my progress. I panic evertime I see a seasoning, Tomato sauce or anything with carbs. Also, when did you begin exercising? Thank you all!

I never counted carbs (they were "accounted for" by way of being recorded along with everything else, but I ignored them as far as controlling them) as our program never jumped onto that bandwagon when it came into fashion a few years ago. They do want to minimize simple carbohydrates and sugars, but no specified level. Overall, if you maintain your Protein minimums and an appropriate caloric deficit for weight loss, your diet will by default be low carb and low fat by any reasonable standards, so there is little value to worrying about either.

I simply concentrated on getting the best overall nutritional value I reasonably could within the non-protein portion of my diet (same as now, it's just a larger part of the diet today) which in retrospect came out to be a rough split calorically between carbohydrates and fats, though that wasn't a specific goal.

I never counted carbs so far and don't plan on doing so. I watch the kind of carbs I eat, depending on the level of activity (it's still biking season after all).

I suggest reading every food label. If you are not making it from scratch it will have unexpected macros. Those carbs/sugars can add up quickly and you want to know if they are naturally occurring, added, sugar alcohol, Fiber or net count.

Safe Journey

9 hours ago, RickM said:

Overall, if you maintain your Protein minimums and an appropriate caloric deficit for weight loss, your diet will by default be low carb and low fat by any reasonable standards, so there is little value to worrying about either.

Exactly this!

I track everything in My Fitness Pal. Most days are low carb, but not necessarily by design.

Just make healthy decisions, putting lean Protein first. No reason to panic! :)

From day 1. It matters how many carbs are in my shakes, the sugar that was in my liquid Tylenol etc. and I still count them. I count carbs, Protein and fat.

I look at labels and if carbs are the biggest number or just to high I don't use/eat it. I don't necessarily track carbs but they are tracked in My Fitness Pal and I do watch that they do not get high. My program doesn't have me tracking them, at least it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Like most have said your already watching that you eat healthier choices and by default carbs and sugars etc. are low. As long as you stick with the program you shouldn't let it get you in a panic. At times it can all be overwhelming but know we've all been through it and what we don't know we can easily learn from those that have been through it already. Good luck to you and much success!!!!

11 hours ago, Jpsl1028 said:

My nutrishionist told me they recommend counting carbs and fats after a year post op. I am 2 months post. Has anyone else been told this as well? If not what do you do carb wise daily? I am so worried to eat wrong and mess up my progress. I panic evertime I see a seasoning, Tomato sauce or anything with carbs. Also, when did you begin exercising? Thank you all!

You paid for your nutritionist and surgeon. I would call them for clarification on your plan. Find out when you are released for exercise. All surgeons seem to have different instructions . You will get a ton of conflicting plans from members on bariatricpal. follow your own plan

My instructions (only for an example of the many plans you will get on here)

Use a food app on my phone to make it easy to log food. It automatically totals calories and macros for the day. I was given a calorie range, Protein and carb goals to follow. These numbers changed as I progressed out from surgery.

I was told to worry more about carbs down the road but keep them low. Early on it was all I can do to hit my protein goal. My carbs goals were low in weight loss phase. At a year or close to goal, I was told to add more healthy carbs (whole wheat, sweet potato, brown rice nothing white or processed) this was to slow or stop weight loss to maintain my weight.

4 hours ago, J San said:

At times it can all be overwhelming [...]

After being on this board since a whole while I can't help but getting the impression that a good portion of this "being overwhelmed" feeling is self-inflicted.

People start with the best intentions ("some rules") to "get everything the best way that is out there" but they end up creating something in their minds that seems more like the big mother of all bureaucratic system-of-rules-monsters.

I just converted from sleeve to bypass. My body needs lower carb to lose weight. That's where I went wrong with the sleeve. So I have been counting carbs since the day I got out of the hospital and will hopefully keep counting lifelong. I need this second chance to work so for myself, I don't seem to be someone who can eat "normal" but just less. Maybe I am carb sensitive. So I aim for 20 g of carbs but will allow up to 35.