Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tummy Tuck without Muscle Reconstruction

Has anyone had a Tummy Tuck without muscle reconstruction? Due to an incisional hernia repair I had 22 years ago, I'm not a candidate for muscle repair. One surgeon said that in pulling the muscles tight, it would make the mesh covering my hernia repair act like an accordion and cause chronic pain. However, I desperately want to rid myself of my abdominal overhang for a slimmer look in my clothes. I realize I might not have as tight of a stomach without the muscle repair, but I think it will make a world of difference to remove "the blob." I'm going in for a second consultation with a different surgeon next month. Anyone have this same issue?

Edited by Strivingforbetter
typo

1 minute ago, Strivingforbetter said:

Has anyone had a Tummy Tuck without muscle reconstruction? Due to an incisional hernia repair I had 22 years ago, I'm not a candidate for muscle reconstruction. However, I desperately want to rid myself of my abdominal overhang for a slimmer look in my clothes. I realize I might not have as tight of a stomach without the muscle repair, but I think it will make a world of difference to remove "the blob." I'm doing in for a second consultation with a different surgeon next month.

Abdominoplasty without muscle reconstruction is an option. When you speak with your surgeon, just be very clear and definitive that you ONLY want the Abdominoplasty and no muscle reconstruction. It's your surgery, it's your money, if you don't want that done and there isn't a pressing medical reason to do so, it's not required.

Wow, Matt, you were really quick on your reply! You even grabbed my typos before I could correct them. I think I was really surprised that the first surgeon I went to didn't even suggest the abdominoplasty without muscle repair. I left his office feeling so deflated, but the next morning I started rethinking things and searched for other options. I'm interested to see what this second surgeon says. One thing is for sure, I didn't feel confident in the first surgeon. This other option should have at least been discussed.

3 minutes ago, Strivingforbetter said:

Wow, Matt, you were really quick on your reply! You even grabbed my typos before I could correct them. I think I was really surprised that the first surgeon I went to didn't even suggest the Abdominoplasty without muscle repair. I left his office feeling so deflated, but the next morning I started rethinking things and searched for other options. I'm interested to see what this second surgeon says. One thing is for sure, I didn't feel confident in the first surgeon. This other option should have at least been discussed.

Yeah, I can understand that! It's tough when the docs leave things off the table for whatever reason, I always go in fully armed with every question, if it doesn't come up, I make sure it does. I've been researching this recently myself, even though I've got a long ways to go before I'm eligible for this surgery, I do a lot of abdominal exercises already so I wasn't really keen on the muscle tightening portion of the surgery either.

@Matt Z I'm a planner, so I wouldn't get this done until next summer. I also want to try and lose another 10-15 pounds before then, but I want to know my options and pricing. I've considered going to Mexico to save costs, but it scares me to death. My luck, I'd be one of those patients who ends up on a TV show of plastics gone wrong. Anyway, thank you for replying. Glad to see I'm not the only one considering this option. By the way, there is a surgeon in Texas who feels that the muscle reconstruction is actually not really necessary and unduly painful for the patient. He always does tummy tucks with the repair. I thought that was interesting.

Edited by Strivingforbetter

I know nothing about hernia mesh repairs, but 2nd opinions are always a good idea. Good luck with your inquiries and keep us posted.

I have had an Abdominoplasty with no tightening due to previous hernia repairs :-)

I had my hernia repaired normally - Without mesh - Then it came back in 2007 - So the second time it was repaired with mesh.

Then a few years after the hernia was fixed I had my Inverted T tummy tuck...... The surgeon said he tried to see what he could do - But had he repaired the muscle I would have been left with a lump down the middle. So he did not repair that - I am very happy! - There was virtually no pain after the op - Just tightness for a few days...

And that happened in 2010 and I am as happy today as I was after the op!

I attach a pic taken not long after the op...

Belly270311-02.thumb.jpg.231c876fb8d44606a3dbd3eec8fc4b25.jpg

And one of more recently... (2017 I think this one was)

bellyforyou.jpg.b0d14a94acb242601708f7a08c21fc09.jpg

I have noticed that a lot of belly buttons after surgery look like cats bums... lol

Here are two pre-surgery pics...

5b7475296ed31_Belly020610.jpg.9d57474383f4f44cf4f6bdb125000fe6.jpg

5b74828890705_BellyBeforePic.thumb.jpg.8cc358c1a7b0eae4c96c549ca489f035.jpg

I really hope that this helps. Take these pictures with you to show the Dr if you need to - My mesh is quite large - 15cm x 20cm it said on a piece of paperwork I have - Unless they cut it smaller of course but I can feel it in me and it feels large!

Feel free to send me a PM and ask all the questions you need to. I am happy to help.

Suffice to say that it can be done - There is nothing to worry about - And I am so very happy with my results - This surgery was done in 2010 - My belly is as flat today as it was back then I think - Heck I'll go take a picture - Be right back...

OK - I am back........ (Few minutes later)

Here you go - Taken just now - The op was in April 2010 if I remember correctly..... This is today... Please excuse the marks from Jeans/Belt etc - LOL - Daughter said you won't be able to see my scar because of the Jeans having left marks.. Sorry about that......

5b747785de055_Belly15_08.18-02.jpg.563995855d6b114d44cd44e75e269abc.jpg

I really hope that is of some help....

*Edit again*

I want to say here - That after you have this surgery (Or any surgery like this) - No matter what the Dr says - You get some 3M paper tape and you put it on and keep it on - Replacing it as needed etc - Every day - All day - All night - For THREE MONTHS - No matter what - Support the scar whilst it heals - Then your scar will be a lot less visible than mine is. I tested this through my surgeries after this one - And the other scars are much finer and better through being supported as they healed, and if I ever did this one again I would definitely support the scar (Or any scar) as it heals so it heals to a fine line without stretching a little like mine has :-)

The tape looks like this - It's cheap and worth ten times the price for a good scar :-)

https://www.medisave.co.uk/3m-micropore-skin-tone-surgical-tape-1-25cm-x-9-14m-x-24.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2rCVuODv3AIVDuWaCh01bQx2EAkYASABEgIkW_D_BwE

Edited by Scamp

@Scamp Wow, you look fantastic! Thank you so much for the information. I love that we can get on this site and get such good support. I was feeling so down when I left the first surgeon's office a few weeks ago. Now I can see that there's hope after all! I plan on getting my second opinion next month (September) and then getting my surgery done next summer. I'm squirreling away my money right now. Thanks again, Scamp.

You are very welcome.

When I first came here many years ago. It was he only site I found where I could see and get help for my worries. And the people on this site were a great support.

Back then people posting here gave me such great help - That I still come back to 'pay-it-forward' by offering any help I can to others. One person - She gave me one sentence that held fast through all my surgeries....... I trained my family to say this to me at every 'wobble' I had through fear of the surgeries, fear of pain etc etc

She said ''Keep your eyes on the prize''
And I will never forget those words and I will always be grateful to her for being there for me :-)

Keep us updated on your progress. I am not here every day these days - But every now and then I pop back to see what's happening - lol

Good Luck.

When I had a Tummy Tuck consult three years ago (before I gained back 40lbs/pre-revision) my surgeon told me I didn’t need any muscle work and my tummy tuck would be simple. I was pretty stoked. Glad I waited, though.)
He told me to thank the surgeon who did the c-section for my son’s delivery. Apparently, he was an artist. The plastic surgeon couldn’t stop raving about my muscles and my scar that looked like “nothing but a loose skin wrinkle.”
God bless you, Dr. Reimer, wherever you are! 😄

@Screwballski: I've also had four c-sections, but my third one caused my muscle to rip and that's when my hernia occurred. I'm happy to hear that muscle reconstruction isn't required for everyone. Removing the extra skin is all I need to make me happy.

Thanks for the wonderful information and pictures. I am new to the site and 6 months post-op. I imagine my stomach will look like your pre-surgery pictures. I had a c-section in 2001. The surgeon cut me up to just below my belly button. He said, he had to because I was too fat. Highest weight (ever) at the time was 270. He stitched me up some my lower stomach is always lopsided. I hate it! I hope to have surgery once I hit my goal of 150. Currently at 194.

On 8/15/2018 at 2:52 PM, Scamp said:

I have had an Abdominoplasty with no tightening due to previous hernia repairs 🙂

I had my hernia repaired normally - Without mesh - Then it came back in 2007 - So the second time it was repaired with mesh.

Then a few years after the hernia was fixed I had my Inverted T tummy tuck...... The surgeon said he tried to see what he could do - But had he repaired the muscle I would have been left with a lump down the middle. So he did not repair that - I am very happy! - There was virtually no pain after the op - Just tightness for a few days...

And that happened in 2010 and I am as happy today as I was after the op!

I attach a pic taken not long after the op...

Belly270311-02.thumb.jpg.231c876fb8d44606a3dbd3eec8fc4b25.jpg

And one of more recently... (2017 I think this one was)

bellyforyou.jpg.b0d14a94acb242601708f7a08c21fc09.jpg

I have noticed that a lot of belly buttons after surgery look like cats bums... lol

Here are two pre-surgery pics...

5b7475296ed31_Belly020610.jpg.9d57474383f4f44cf4f6bdb125000fe6.jpg

5b74828890705_BellyBeforePic.thumb.jpg.8cc358c1a7b0eae4c96c549ca489f035.jpg

I really hope that this helps. Take these pictures with you to show the Dr if you need to - My mesh is quite large - 15cm x 20cm it said on a piece of paperwork I have - Unless they cut it smaller of course but I can feel it in me and it feels large!

Feel free to send me a PM and ask all the questions you need to. I am happy to help.

Suffice to say that it can be done - There is nothing to worry about - And I am so very happy with my results - This surgery was done in 2010 - My belly is as flat today as it was back then I think - Heck I'll go take a picture - Be right back...

OK - I am back........ (Few minutes later)

Here you go - Taken just now - The op was in April 2010 if I remember correctly..... This is today... Please excuse the marks from Jeans/Belt etc - LOL - Daughter said you won't be able to see my scar because of the Jeans having left marks.. Sorry about that......

5b747785de055_Belly15_08.18-02.jpg.563995855d6b114d44cd44e75e269abc.jpg

I really hope that is of some help....

*Edit again*

I want to say here - That after you have this surgery (Or any surgery like this) - No matter what the Dr says - You get some 3M paper tape and you put it on and keep it on - Replacing it as needed etc - Every day - All day - All night - For THREE MONTHS - No matter what - Support the scar whilst it heals - Then your scar will be a lot less visible than mine is. I tested this through my surgeries after this one - And the other scars are much finer and better through being supported as they healed, and if I ever did this one again I would definitely support the scar (Or any scar) as it heals so it heals to a fine line without stretching a little like mine has 🙂

The tape looks like this - It's cheap and worth ten times the price for a good scar 🙂

https://www.medisave.co.uk/3m-micropore-skin-tone-surgical-tape-1-25cm-x-9-14m-x-24.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2rCVuODv3AIVDuWaCh01bQx2EAkYASABEgIkW_D_BwE

Hi Scamp your skin removal looks excellent you must be extremely satisfied. Can you tell me how many lbs of skin was removed?

I am very happy with the results, and as there was not much fat under the skin - So the amount they removed having my TT was only 2.42lb (1.1 kilos)

Edited by Scamp