Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

? for people with Reflux

So I’m 8 Days postop sleeve. One of my biggest worries was being in the unfortunate statistic group of people that developed reflux. My question is, when did reflux start for you after you had your sleeve? Immediately postop? A month? 6 weeks? I’m just wondering if there it a specific time that needs to pass before I know if I’m ‘in the clear’ so to speak.

There's no magic window. It can develop months or even years later.

My reflux started immediately. I'm on prescription omeprazole 2x/day, and TUMS as needed. Surgeon will decide before the end of the year if I need a revision to bypass.

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

I was put on omeprazole once a day for 3 months after surgery. Stopped on 8/2 and so far have had slight indigestion a few times which responds well to a couple of tums. PA says to go back on omeprazole if needed but I really do not want to take it long term due to side effects and risks. So far so good....

Mine started 18 months after surgery, but my hiatal hernia redeveloped, so I think that's why.

Mine started a week after surgery. I was on omeprazole before surgery (which i stopped a few days before and after surgery) and my surgeon said to start taking again when I saw him for my 2 week post op. I recently switched to Protonix 1x per day and i'm fine. But OMG if i forget to take them...lord have mercy on me! I get heartburn right away, anything will set it off. I have my 3 month follow up with my surgeon next month and will be def. discussing this with him. I'm terrified of having revision surgery.

I had it for about 15 years prior to the surgery. It has improved somewhat since the surgery (I’m able to take generic omeprazole and the symptoms are improved).

Mine started 4 weeks exactly following my MGP .....really horrible not sure what I should do, will contact my dr. Tomorrow as this is now night 2 of no sleep due to the bile and the pain.

On 8/15/2018 at 3:23 PM, Foxbins said:

Mine started 18 months after surgery, but my hiatal hernia redeveloped, so I think that's why.

I have a hietal hernia that is being fixed during my surgery, Im already on a PPI, how did it feel when your hernia redeveloped?

I had it for 2 decades pre-op and my surgery was 4 years ago. I have been taking a PPI since immediately post op, but when I had some regain I REALLY had it return BAD.

I've since lost the regain but have also had an EGD that shows another hiatal hernia so my GERD is still there. I've been in nutritional ketosis for about a year which has helped some. I'm hoping after another 20 lbs or so it will totally resolve. If not, I'm seriously considering a revision to RNY because I don't want to take a PPI any longer.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:24 AM, HannahRB said:

I have a hietal hernia that is being fixed during my surgery, Im already on a PPI, how did it feel when your hernia redeveloped?

It didn't feel any different, I just noticed I was burping again. I burped before it was fixed, and then I stopped for a while after it was fixed, and then I started again. Figured the hernia was back. Upper GI shows that it's smaller than the one I had pre-surgery, though.

I'm four months post op at 25 years old. I had a UGI done at around the 2 month mark and it showed minor reflux, I never had an issue with it. It's a much tighter space in there now with the sleeve, if you put food in there that isn't properly prepared for a sleeve patient you'll feel it & take it as a learning experience. Posture and movement help settle feelings of reflux, you have to be vigilant of what you're eating before you take the first bite and how it will settle once ingested. I take a step back and analyze how the food was prepared and envision how my sleeve will react to it once it's chewed up. If it doesn't feel right move on. It's an unsettling feeling and the feeling will only last longer the more I eat it. I'd rather eat whole foods that don't cause discomfort. As far as remedies go, I drink aniseed tea, ginger tea, pickled ginger on the side with my meal, & a little bit of banana after a meal which helps calm down the waters due to its mushiness. I longer have the sense of wanting to lay down on a couch after eating, that will most certainly cause discomfort after a meal. Gravity is my best friend for the first 45mins after a meal. It's all give and take. Don't beat yourself up once you're able to introduce whole foods. I think of it as a control that guides you towards better decision making. Because without it is how we got obese in the first place. It's a physical restriction that we have to mentally match in our approach. I hope this helped

Thanks Lucas