Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waking up from Surgery. Any Tips?

@CrankyMagpie wow! You are so dedicated, but I’m super frustrated for you. I’m sure your doc has his/her reasonings but...men it sounds like such a slow painful process, especially when you seem so ready to go from a research, mental and physical perspective. It took me forever to qualify for my first Band surgery. 2 years, denials, appeals etc, my Sleeve was a breeze (had to have overturned port revised and gallbladder removed along with it), and this revision to Bypass was a breeze approval that took 1 week because my Sleeve was malformed as an Hourglass to begin with, I have a Haitian hernia , a structure and oh yeah, I regained all weight lost via Sleeve...

Thanks, @ellie123! It has been really frustrating for me, yeah.

But it also sounds like you've had your share of frustrations, and you're getting through it! I'm glad you get your revision next week!

I am going to put a lavender sachet in my hospital bag, thanks for,the head-on or maybe sniff-up. Let it fight with the hospital odors, I'll feel relaxed and that's what it's all about.

Ask for the patch behind you ear tell your anesthesia team that you get nausea and they will give you this magic patch that works like a charm

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app

I woke up in panic! Wanting to go home, feeling nauseous and needing to poop. I was not a happy camper. It was hard to shake the anesthesia feeling. It wore off in about 3 hours after I woke up. Even then I was still feeling like crap.

All of these first-hand reports do help, I know no matter I wake up someone has been there before, They made it through, I can too, and if you're reading this also, the same goes for you!

I woke up with a nurse sitting next to me, talking to me saying, once you’re a little more awake, we will get your fiancé from the waiting room. I was out of it but not feeling pain and sort of acting silly. A few minutes later, he was there! Then a few minutes after that, we were being wheeled to my room. Don’t worry about this part, they deal with people waking up from surgery all day long, if it’s like my experience, you will wake up in a large room full of people waking up in their own little curtained cubbies. And you’ll be awake, awake in no time.

On 8/14/2018 at 11:55 PM, ellie123 said:

Oh wow @KCgirl061 ! Thank you for the response. A surgical nurse! That’s awesome. I guess you kind of knew the best and worst of what to expect, but sounds like it was rough though. I do have a question though ... what’s a tornado? Something that takes you to Oz?

Toradol. It’s a non steroidal anti inflammatory. Like Advil. A pain killer.

Tramadol 🚗and Toradol,🚕 2 lovely effective T-Bird vehicles in surgery's Garage!

7 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Tramadol 🚗and Toradol,🚕 2 lovely effective T-Bird vehicles in surgery's Garage!

I can’t have NSAIDs (my skin literally sloughs off), and Tramadol does nothing for me :(

Hahaha, I know that’s right! Take a ride! Glad you’re doing good.

Thank you all for the tips and accounts and especially specific medication suggestions and non medical relief like Lavender. I know I just have to power through it, somehow. I just want this to be over already. Super antsy...4 more days....ugh my stomach just turns with anticipation and dread. Praying through the fears.

You're doing the right thing Ellie! I had my surgery on Wednesday and a few days leading up to it I was just absolutely terrified. I've had anesthesia a few times before and did okay with it. I don't know why this seem like so much bigger of a thing to me. Anyway, lots of people responded and told me that it would be okay and gave me their experiences and even though I'd read all of those same things on many other people's posts having them say it directly to ME somehow made the difference. This site is magical in that way. Lots of people in the same boat who truly care about how you're doing.

All that to say I woke up feeling okay, very groggy and slept quite a bit the first couple of hours. I had some pretty serious pain and nausea throughout the night but was very good at advocating for myself with the nurses They got things under control pretty quickly and the next morning I was able to do really well with drinking both Water and Protein. Good luck, I hope you do well!

Wow guys,

those are great responses. I’m 3 weeks post of going on my fourth. For me waking up in pain post op was dramatic. They had me waiting 20 minutes for my pain pump. I was in agony, so much so before I past out I asked the nurse why she was making me suffer. They didn’t have the pain meds ready for me when I got out of surgery and the anesthesia wore off. Once I got to recovery room ; the next day. I spoke to the charge nurse, the director of nursing, and patient advocates. To me it was traumatic, I was screaming.Make sure you speak to the anesthesiologist and let him know to have your prescription ready once you leave the OR ( operating room)

CrankyMagpie-

im sorry your going through that. Ask your insurance if 20lbs weight loss is a requirement of the surgery. I was only able to loose 10 lbs and we still moved forward. You may want to look at a different surgeon.