Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September bypass buddies??

Hi - I'm new. I just had my Bypass surgery on Tuesday, September 4. I would love to know how everyone who has just had surgery is faring.

Thanks so much!

Edited by Newbiedoo
missing word

Bypass surgery was yesterday the 7th all went well just a little issue with urinating but, the doctor says it’s common but, it will get better, minimal pain no pain pump just a pill of Tordal if in pain.

That's great news! So glad to hear it went well :) hope your recovery is quick!

Hi - I had my RNY surgery on Tuesday, sept. 4th. All went well (very grateful!). This is my own personal experience - I was unprepared for the pain! It was not so much the pain of the surgery, it was the pain from the gas that was pumped in for the procedure. My incisional pain has really improved, but still have some gas working it's way out 4 days later. I had the "what have I done?" moment as well. Feeling much better and a hint - heating pad. Very soothing and helps with the pain. Keep up the good recovery- you'll get there before you know it! :-)

2 days left until my do over surgery....whoooo hoooo.

hi @Newbiedoo, you wanted to talk to someone newly "kangarooed" like yourself. FYI kangaroo is a pet name for our variety of WLS surgery, because we now have pouches! Anyhoo here I am , freshly sliced and diced. My surgery was September 5th,at 7 AM. My surgeon planned it,that way so if my surgery got,more complicated he could give,my case his undivided attention. aw it smooths and soothes my ego to think,of it all. I have felt my life has been second string much of my,life.
I think,i am doing pretty fair. I have the traditional 5 incisions. Hmmn , one,of them right to the navel and slightly above, one between my breasts, directly in line with the navel, one in the right subcostal area, same place they used to use before laprascopic for gall bladder removal. on the left side , 2 more ones, in a straight line about a fingersbreath apart and then I have one in my navel. it looked messy, didnt,have steristrips, so had nurse clean up so it didn't stay full of dry flaky itchy blood. so I guess I have 6 instead of five after all . My tummy looked pretty. good the first day, then the second day they decided to do lovenox shots, they did 2 there, now I'm at home and still doing those shots , 12 hours apart. And my,tummy has turned into something strange. it is technicolornand slowly heading for the right side, on the left it makes stretch marks from 3 nine-pounders just shine.
not a genius at Fluid replacement,but taking enough to. keep urinating. Protein levels only being held up by protein shakes..Haven't got too far into the stage #2 diet. Hey I'm going for awhile, got grind some more pills down, I am lucky my hospital Ohio State University have me a. pill crusher, pill cutter and a mini cup measuring 1,ounce. Don't matter if it has the university crest.,probably take it every place I go . so remember sip sip sip walk walk walk and if you have the time give yourself a big hug, you have made a big step 👣forward for your own health.😇

Thank you everyone for the prayers. My bypass went very well and Dr. Taylor also fixed the hernia that I didn't know I had. I also have 6 incision sites that are in a circle. The left ones are the ones that give me constant pain if I move to suddenly or twist. Of course my body decided to start my period the day before surgery which was a major pain, especially when I received blood thinner shots in my belly. The staff took it all in stride and were wonderful.

I am home and only taking liquid Tylenol for the pain. I was on morphine through the iv and then on liquid Vicodin which helped for the car ride home.

I am getting in my Water and most of my Protein (shakes, oikos Greek yogurt, sugar free Jello, broth). One of the things I noticed immediately in the hospital was everything was too sweet, even the sugar free popsicles. I had lots of broth and forced myself to have some of the jello but I mostly had lots of ice chips.

I am finally able to sleep on my sides. I also use a wedge pillow in bed to help prop me up. This was wonderful to be able to sleep 4 hours without being interrupted!

Walking does help immensely! I took my house shoes which are actually a pair of Crocs and I was able to walk farther because of the extra cushion from the Crocs. This helped a lot since the gas kept settling in my right shoulder and chest.

TMI - The only thing I am concerned about is having my first bowel movement. I have been burping and passing gas but just haven't had to go #2. That kind of makes sense since I haven't really eaten anything that wasn't a liquid so how can you poop if you are peeing everything out?

I also had a moment of questioning about surgery. I thought how could I be so selfish to have this elective surgery and inconvenience my family. Thankfully I reminded myself that this was for me and eventually my family will reap the benefits. My hubby was wonderful throughout the whole process. He was so worried that he left his slippers on when we drove to the hospital on Wednesday morning. I am truly blessed to have him in my life. Through 6 years of marriage he has stood by me and encouraged me. He combats that inner destructive voice in my head and makes me laugh.

Feel free to ask me any questions about my experience with bypass.

Thank you everyone for the prayers. My bypass went very well and Dr. Taylor also fixed the hernia that I didn't know I had. I also have 6 incision sites that are in a circle. The left ones are the ones that give me constant pain if I move to suddenly or twist. Of course my body decided to start my period the day before surgery which was a major pain, especially when I received blood thinner shots in my belly. The staff took it all in stride and were wonderful.
I am home and only taking liquid Tylenol for the pain. I was on morphine through the iv and then on liquid Vicodin which helped for the car ride home.
I am getting in my Water and most of my Protein (shakes, oikos Greek yogurt, sugar free Jello, broth). One of the things I noticed immediately in the hospital was everything was too sweet, even the sugar free popsicles. I had lots of broth and forced myself to have some of the Jello but I mostly had lots of ice chips.
I am finally able to sleep on my sides. I also use a wedge pillow in bed to help prop me up. This was wonderful to be able to sleep 4 hours without being interrupted!
Walking does help immensely! I took my house shoes which are actually a pair of Crocs and I was able to walk farther because of the extra cushion from the Crocs. This helped a lot since the gas kept settling in my right shoulder and chest.
TMI - The only thing I am concerned about is having my first bowel movement. I have been burping and passing gas but just haven't had to go #2. That kind of makes sense since I haven't really eaten anything that wasn't a liquid so how can you poop if you are peeing everything out?
I also had a moment of questioning about surgery. I thought how could I be so selfish to have this elective surgery and inconvenience my family. Thankfully I reminded myself that this was for me and eventually my family will reap the benefits. My hubby was wonderful throughout the whole process. He was so worried that he left his slippers on when we drove to the hospital on Wednesday morning. I am truly blessed to have him in my life. Through 6 years of marriage he has stood by me and encouraged me. He combats that inner destructive voice in my head and makes me laugh.
Feel free to ask me any questions about my experience with bypass.
I'm so glad it's going so well. How long was your hospital stay?

Sent from my SM-G950F using BariatricPal mobile app

Tomorrow is the day! I have to be there tomorrow at 6am. I am revision from sleeve to bypass, repair of my hiatal hernia and removing my gallbladder. I survived my 2 week liquid diet and lost 12lbs. Prayers and good vibes to all the September buddies!

Sent from my VS996 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am having my gastric bypass on September 26th. My pre-op is September 12th and the liquid diet starts the next day. I am soooooo nervous - total control freak and being out on anesthesia freaks me out.

I’m the 26th too! I bought all my shake stuff today and had a mini panic attack. I had the lap band years ago and had a bad run. Finally got it out in January and have taken time to heal. My insurance civets none of this so it’s all been very costly. Today all I could think was what if this fails? I’m scared. I know I can do this but I’m super struggling this round. Would love some friends to get through this with!