Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The dreaded plateau and the thinking that comes with it.

I am 3 weeks out from surgery today. I have gained and lost the same five pounds the last two weeks. I am the type of person that needs to see results. Not seeing them was getting really discouraging. I read about the plateau and that it can last anywhere between a week to over a month. That was slightly reassuring to find out it was normal but I caught myself last night stressing that I did the surgery for nothing and slipped into a state of self pity until I fell asleep. Thankfully, I got up this morning and I am down 2 pounds from my lowest weight. I am hoping that is the end of the plateaus for a while.

It pisses me off that I still l crave all the garbage that got me where I am. I have pretty much been on a soft diet. The only foods I am supposed to avoid right now are steak, pork, white flour products, soda, alcohol, nuts, seeds, raw veggies and processed foods. I have around 800-1000 calories a day and a ton of non calorie, non carbonated drinks. I'll be cleared for a normal diet on Aug 21.

I am getting in my fluids without any problem. Part of me felt like there was something wrong with me because I have been able to drink without issue since about post op day 5. I've read many posts where people can barely get down 2 oz of Water at a time and here I am able to guzzle a 20 oz bottle without any issues except maybe some gas pain til I burp. I am tall and I have read that taller people have longer sleeves and it can make drinking much easier. My doc doesn't seemed concerned about it...it's just crazy how different people's bodies react to the surgery.

I am not sure exactly what I expected to happen, but I am still dealing with head hunger and having to push old ways of thinking out of my head. I'ts hard and I guess I thought I had a pretty good handle on it even prior to surgery. I spent a year pre-op going to diet classes and researching the net to prepare for surgery. I must have been so busy preparing myself that I forgot to deal with my actual relationship with food. I know it will take some time and it will finally become second nature. But I would be lying if I said this isn't the hardest thing I have ever done for myself. The good news is reaping the benefits makes it all worth it.

Edited by Tracy1978

Sounds like you are doing really well. I am really nervous about the head hunger. Like u, i *think* I'm prepared and will be able to handle it, but time will tell.

Plateaus are definitely a pain in the butt! If you keep eating right, getting in your Protein, getting in your liquids, and exercising, you will see your weight drop. I have been able to get 64oz or more of Water down since day 3, so I don't find it abnormal at all that you can drink more than some may think it's normal. I wish that the surgery just magically removed all of the cravings from our heads, but it doesn't. We still have to say "no" to those cravings. I ate lunch with my coworkers today. I ate a low fat cottage cheese, and the guy next to me ate a fried chicken sandwich with mac and cheese and fries. That's what I'd rather have, but it's just not worth it.

The scale (or being prisoner to it) can make you miserable if you let it. If it causes anxiety you can always take a break from it. I plateau for a month at a time, I can't imagine weighing every day to confirm this...

Edited by GreenTealael

I completely understand! I feel exactly the same way! Today is my 5 weeks since surgery and I haven't lost any weight for almost three weeks now. I know plateaus are part of weight lossprocess, but I did not expect one this early in the process. I also haven't had any trouble eating or drinking except for some issues with Protein. I am very discouraged and find myself questioning this decision a lot. To top it off my husband who did not have surgery is dropping weight like crazy and I am exercising and doing everything I am supposed to be doing with no success.

We just have to hang in there and hope to get through this rough patch quickly!