Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I had my Iron tested recently and my Ferritin level was 7. My doctor has me taking a prescription iron supplement because I have IBS Type-C and she said this would help me avoid some of the tummy issues. I've been taking it 1x per day, as prescribed, for about 9 days now. I take it at bedtime because a lot of Vitamins and supplements tend to make me nauseous, and this way I'm not risking feeling sick during the day. Take it with Vitamin C to help the absorption. Have not had any issues with nausea so far. Increased my stool softener as a precaution - that seems to have helped avoid worsening Constipation,

However, I have noticed an increase in appetite this past week. All of a sudden I am hyper-aware of all the food in the house and what everyone else is eating - usually I can look at it longingly for a second or two and then forget about it. I've been really struggling. I'm definitely eating more than I was. I have gained at least one pound whereas I had been at a slow but steady rate of loss since my surgery 7 months ago. My stomach is round and more prominent again - feels full and uncomfortable. Also feeling a little out of sorts and depressed. All of a sudden last night I started to put together the timeline and wondered if it could be the iron making me feel this way?

I know I need to get my levels up as 7 is way too low, but I am really unhappy with how I'm feeling right now. I'm wondering if the iron Patches might cause less side effects? I use the Multi-Vitamin patches and don't notice anything bad from them. No one has ordered a check of specific Vitamin levels bc my surgery was in MX so my follow-up has been with PCP, but she just double-checks I'm taking a multi, Calcium (chew), a B-12 (melt), and Biotin (melt), and hasn't mentioned checking levels yet - so I can't say for sure if the patches are keeping my vitamin levels up or not, just hoping they are. She checked my iron because my tongue was really sore, which it still is actually...

So...Has anyone else experienced any of this?

A few years after surgery, my blood workup showed that I needed more Iron. My nutritionist directed me to take it in the form of ferrous sulfate for the best absorption.

A year later, my next blood work showed that I had too much iron, so they said I could cut back on the iron.

I took my iron supplement just before bedtime because I wanted to make very sure I was giving it a 2 hour separation between when I took in any form of Calcium, not just the supplements (such as calcium from milk, butter, yogurt or other dairy).

47 minutes ago, James Marusek said:

took my Iron supplement just before bedtime because I wanted to make very sure I was giving it a 2 hour separation between when I took in any form of Calcium, not just the supplements (such as Calcium from milk, butter, yogurt or other dairy).

Right, that's the other reason I take mine at bedtime. I take Nexium in the morning and have Protein Shakes or yogurt up through dinnertime. I need that separation too in order to keep the calcium and medications from blocking the absorption. On the other hand, I'm starting to have a little bit of stomach issues this morning, and I just read a few articles saying that iron supplementation is thought to decrease production of Leptin, which provides the feeling of satiety. That makes me think it could very well be the cause of my increased hunger and food intake this week, and my first gain since surgery...which of course makes me not want to take it anymore. My doc prescribed Ferrous Gluconate Rx as it would supposedly be easier on my IBS symptoms...

Thanks for the tip! I think I will do that, as I am still having issues...