Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When you say dye - meaning what? Darker, highlights, blonder, what?

Darker hair will make your scalp show more if you have a fair complexion? Highlights - 2 colors might hide scalp peek-through better. While dye won't necessarily ruin your stressed locks, don't do drastic changes more than 2 shades difference - more than that takes stronger peroxide that will dry it out and make it prone to breakage. I would cut it shorter, not a pixie or anything, just shorter, maybe layers to plump up volume. I did a body wave, and highlights - not at the same time - it helps hide peek-through. It is growing in, fine baby hairs at hairline now at 10 months out the loss has stopped.

I'd honestly wait it out.... wouldn't want to risk looking like the old ladies that get their hair dyed and it looks like a big cloud of color rather than hair. Plus all the different colored hair that's all going to grow at the same time...

I've alway vowed I wouldn't be one of those issues.When I was working aLong Term Health I had among my patients this sweet lady, let's call her Lizzy. Her daughter was a licensed cosmotologist, should have,known. better, she would drag off Momma to the beauty shop in our facility. Since she was licensed, they let her have the keys although it was Saturday. Poor Lizzy,would return to her room, her hair an inch and half long, tightly curled smelling of permanent solution and her scalp showing through bright red. And she would be sniffling. And as she passed in front of the large mirror over the washbasin in her room and saw herself , tears would flow and flow. Yes she might have had a touch of dementia, most of my patients did, but she was still with it enough to know daughter dear,had made her look pathetic and dare I say it? silly and to ME that is worse than the little old ladies with a halo of strange colored hair, at least they wouldn't catch a head cold going outside for a walk.

On 08/10/2018 at 00:23, ohlala85 said:

I have a lot of hair and long but at my 6 month post OP my hair is falling. I want to dye my hair, should I? I'm a little scared

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m a licensed cosmetologist and almost 9 months post op myself. I colored my hair the entire time I was experiencing Hair loss. Honestly, go to a salon and have it done so they can use a lower volume developer versus buying a box and doing it yourself. Depending on what you want to do and where your color is now, they should be able to use 10 or 20 volume. All box color is 40 volume, has a higher percentage of peroxide in it, because it’s a “one size fits all” and can be unnecessarily harsh on your hair. Also, invest in an olaplex treatment while you’re at the salon. It helps protect your hair from the damage of coloring it. I went from silver to purple to blonde post op, using Olaplex. My hair feels healthy, just thinner.

And I bet you're still a "cutie Patootie" through it all. She Whirls just fine!

On 8/10/2018 at 12:23 AM, ohlala85 said:

I have a lot of hair and long but at my 6 month post OP my hair is falling. I want to dye my hair, should I? I'm a little scared

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I would wait a bit as dyeing your hair could cause more shedding, but that's just me. Also, order some Light Wild grow oil (in the yellow bottle) and use it as recommended whatever you do if, you order follow directions to the "T" but it works, I promise I'm living proof.

I got extensions right after surgery. My hair was just below shoulder length and super fine. We just switched them out two weeks ago (at just over 2 month’s post op) and didn’t notice any Hair loss yet. I take Biotin regularly and have for years. I’m in my 50’s, btw.

Oh, and we highlight my hair regularly to blend texture through the greys...per profile photo. I’ve had it done twice since surgery and am going again next week. But I don’t do solid dye jobs because they look flat on me. My scalp shows. Even before surgery.

HaHa, I have the thinnest per inch hair density of all ---Red hair.
Well strawberry blonde but it's in the Golden Red family. And when it falls out as it will without a doubt, I am going to look like a Vizsla with mange And I will get either a Ducktail, pixie or a Mohawk. Don't think I'll shave it, have dents from the high forceps used on me so I would be willing to leave Mama, I was what is nick-named a "Dry birth" Mama's Water broke before midnight on Christmas Eve, I was born 8 minutes after 5 December 26th, a little over 37 hours, these days I would have been a C-section, modern medicine will not postpone birth THAT long. So I could validly,claim to be " Dain Bramaged", that I am so smart is more luck than good obstetrics. But everyone else involved is dead except ME and I'm too stubborn to die. That's one of the reasons,i'm going through surgery!

I have dyed my hair consistently after WLS, while I was losing hair, and while I was not. I don't think coloring made any difference at all. But I have to cover my grey roots, so not coloring wasn't an option for me.

I don't lighten my hair at all though. I don't like the frizzy texture that peroxide/lightening gives it. If I want to make my hair a little more interesting, I do low lights instead of highlights.