Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reconsidering Goal Weight

Has anyone reconsidered their goal weight, as they have gotten closer?

I set my goal weight based on what I weighed in my early 20's, around 135-140 lbs. Of course I thought I was fat back then. But at my 240 surgery weight, that seemed damn skinny, and I figured I had body dysmorphia at that time.

I'm now 25 lbs away from goal, and I see a lot more than 25 lbs of fat on me that I want to lose. I think I look great in clothes. But naked, so much fat and so many lumps and bumps, ugh.

I know plastic surgery will take care of some of it. Tummy tucks do an amazing job creating a flat stomach. It's my thighs that I'm most worried about. They are definitely still "thunder thighs". I want to do no more than Lipo and a medial thigh lift on them. If I just lose another 25 lbs I'm having a hard time imagining a good result.

I need to balance losing more weight, with keeping my butt looking good. It's literally the only thing I like on my body right now!

Has anyone gone lower than their original goal? What motivated you? Are you happy with the results?

Any insight is appreciated!

Were you planning to make any changes to your diet once you hit this 'magical' goal-weight?

If it were me I think I'd just stay the course and lose as much as I could and see where I end up. You'll probably want to lose below whatever you think your "ideal" weight should be, to leave room for some inevitable regain.

Edited by _Shane_

Our body shape is determined by genetics - short, high waist, big shoulders, slim hips, big boobs, flat arss, wide feet, etc. We can alter some of this with plastics, but not all. You will have to sort that part out along with the 'natural' aging process as a factor with the ability to maintain a desirable weight realistically at our age. Take a good hard look at peers our age that were not obese - I see plenty of lumpy saddlebags, turkey necks, fallen bums etc. We cannot turn the clock back, but accept a middle ground on liking what we have after doing our very best at this journey.

I think my plans are to build muscle at this stage while I go for the last 30 pounds to come off. I would like to think this would make plastics turn out a little better, at the least aid the recovery process. As soon as the grandkids get back in school I can make the gym a bigger priority - plus I had to take a huge rest - my square dancing was straining my knee and I needed two shots in it this past month, it didn't help that i underestimated stepping from a high curb to the street in dance shoes in June at National. Ouch! The second shot made a huge difference though.

I don't know where you plan to get plastics, but I really like the technique on the hips that Dr Peter Fisher from San Antonio does, plus he uses your fat to give you Buns.

8 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Has anyone reconsidered their goal weight, as they have gotten closer?

I set my goal weight based on what I weighed in my early 20's, around 135-140 lbs. Of course I thought I was fat back then. But at my 240 surgery weight, that seemed damn skinny, and I figured I had body dysmorphia at that time.

I'm now 25 lbs away from goal, and I see a lot more than 25 lbs of fat on me that I want to lose. I think I look great in clothes. But naked, so much fat and so many lumps and bumps, ugh.

I know plastic surgery will take care of some of it. Tummy tucks do an amazing job creating a flat stomach. It's my thighs that I'm most worried about. They are definitely still "thunder thighs". I want to do no more than Lipo and a medial thigh lift on them. If I just lose another 25 lbs I'm having a hard time imagining a good result.

I need to balance losing more weight, with keeping my butt looking good. It's literally the only thing I like on my body right now!

Has anyone gone lower than their original goal? What motivated you? Are you happy with the results?

Any insight is appreciated!

Gosh, you sound like me. I'm 5'2 and in my 20s I was always around 125. The psychiatrist said that because of my age, it is an unrealistic goal (I am 45). How old are you? What has your doc said?

I'm already thinking that I may have to "adjust" my goal weight. I chose the weight that I was my adult "healthiest". But at that point (late 20s) I was much more muscular. So I think it may be realistic to go lower. I'll just have to wait and see. But I'm still over 40 pounds from my goal, so no rush.

So - I'm 57. I was 55 when I had my surgery. I'm in the midst of menopause, I've had two kids both by c-section and was a nationally competitive athlete in my teens. I look amazing clothed. I know I will never see 125 ever again. Just not happening. I also know I'm never going to see 20% body fat (which is what I was at then) because my physiology as a menopausal woman who has birthed two children will not allow that. I know that plastics will tighten and lift the tummy and the girls. My bigger issue is my arms.

Have you talked with a plastic surgeon who is familiar with bariatric patients? My guy works with the team at the hospital I had my surgery at - his opinion is that thigh lifts are risky because of wound healing issues. Granted - you've lost only about half of what I have. At my highest (I wouldn't get on the scale) looking at photos now I realize I was over 300 pounds so I'm down about 150 pounds. I'd like to lose another 5-10, but if I don't, I'm ok with that. You really need to talk to a plastic surgeon about what is possible for your body.

Yes, my original supermodel goal weight was 180. As I neared that I have lowered my supermodel goal weight to 175.

I'm sitting at 179 today and feel that 175 is definitely achievable and I think I will actually pass it. It seems crazy to think I will be that light!!! Blows my mind!

Thanks for everyone's replys!

@_Shane_ Yes, I was planning to slowly adjust my calories to find where I can maintain. My calories are too low in my losing phase to sustain long term.

@Sosewsue61 Ouch! Sorry about your knee! I'm in my early 40's and single, so I'm not ready to give into being lumpy and bumpy if I can help it :lol:. I accept that I will not have a perfect 20 yr old body, but I want the best outcome possible. I have seen and like Dr. Fisher's work. I'm in LA, so there are no shortage of plastic surgeon's here.

@Jingle123423 I'm 42. My surgeon said, losing 80 lbs was realistic and losing 100 lbs was optimistic. So I'm almost at the 80. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to get to 100. But now I'm thinking I may want to lose more ....

@Orchids&Dragons I wish I was a "no rush" kind of person, I'd make life easier on myself :P

@Diana_in_Philly I haven't had any plastic surgery consults yet. I was planning to schedule some appointments, but then a potential work conflict came up during the time I had carved out for surgery and recovery, so I'm a little bit in limbo. I have done a lot of reading about different surgeons, surgical options etc. I know for sure I want a Tummy Tuck, Lipo, breast lift and augmentation. Then I most likely want a medial arm lift and a medial thigh lift (w lipo). I am definitely most concerned about the medial thigh lift, as healing and scarring can be major issues. But I have narrowed my search down to 2 local surgeons whom specialize in post bariatric plastics, and have experience with medial thigh lifts. I will definitely vet my surgeons thoroughly to make sure they can give me the best results possible.

@GermanShepherdMama Congrats, that's awesome. I'm sure you look and feel fantastic!

Yes I have been thinking about this. As I approach my goal weight I know I am not done and want to lose more. My original goal was 140 but I am almost there and not satisfied.

My goal weight was 140 and I'm currently 119. My lowest was 114 and I'm told that was too thin, a concept I'll admit I struggle with, but truth be told I was a little bony. I do have some loose skin (hw was 230) but I don't think my tummy looks much different from someone of my age who's has kids. (I didn't - only food babies!)

My note of caution is this - ive just had surgery on a really huge Petersen's hernia (most of my gut had migrated out through the defect) and I'm losing weight again now without intending too as my appetite is low and food feels uncomfortable as it passes through. I wish I'd had a slightly larger buffer zone and an having to work hard to get lots of Protein in now for the healing.

When all's said and done you'll know what's right for you. I know some of my pals are worried I'm developing an annorexic type food disorder which I find hilarious but in quieter moments I'm aware that it wasn't healthy psychology that got me fat, and even with the two years of therapy I did alongside op (18 months ago) I still need to take care.

That said congrats on your loss so far and, best things about my own transformation - I can move easily - jump, run even skip! I love clothes and I have my face back instead of the Mrs potato head I was wearing in 2016!

You go girl and tickbit whatever!

My goal weight was my healthy slim weight in college and now I’m below it and very happy. I’m no spring chicken either; it is possible to go lower than your original plan depending on your eating habits and lifestyle.

I honestly don't know how much more my body is willing to lose, 150 is goal

125 seems like a fantasy...

Edited by GreenTealael

I feel like I'm entering into unknown territory. Up until this point it has been straight forward, follow the plan (mostly!), and lose weight, simple!

But now I'm just over 20 lbs to goal. Weight continues to come off relatively rapidly, and fairly steady (stalls, but no plateaus).

How do I find the right balance? This is pure vanity. I want my thighs to look much better than they do right now. But I really love my butt, it's like the only thing I love about my naked body right now, so it's important to me I keep it. :P

Also, this is probably a ridiculous worry, because of all the issues people have on this board, this is super rare. But how do I stop losing weight when I decide I'm at goal? I have a TON of restriction. This combined with little hunger, keeps my calories really low. Even on days I go off the rails, I have never reached 1000 calories. Maybe my body will find it's new set point, and I won't have to worry about it? I never thought this would be a concern. I figured like most people I'd have to fight to even make it this far.

Oh, and 125 seems like a fantasy to me as well .... I'm now thinking maybe 130??

Nuts will slow your weight loss dramatically, they are just so calorically dense, honestly about 45% of my cals are from nuts without them I'd probably be at 600 cals a day (I think I'm deficient in selenium or something there's no other reason why I need so many of them and no particular kind either) 
Oh and protect the booty at all costs. I'm starting to see some uncomfortable loses in mine and I'm working double time to correct it, I'm too young to have a completely melted body...