Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this website. I went to my Dr on Tuesday and let them know I was interested in Bariatric Surgery, my Dr without hesitation said she thought I was a candidate. I've struggled with my weight and body image since I was 18 years old. Now that I am 29 I really want to do something about it, I'm tired of dieting and hating myself when I eat badly, so I thought I would give this serious thought. I got a call from my Dr. Saying that to start my process I would need to go to the 3 Hour class. I'm excited but scared had no idea it would happen so fast! So here I am nervous.. I'm scared to lose to much, I'm scared to lose the parts of my body that I love. I also cant find anyone who started around the weight that I am .. I have friends and family telling me that I'm fine but I dont feel that way. I hate getting on the scale but I think I'm about 246.00 at 5'6. Anyone else start around this weight? Also how do you prepare yourself?

1 hour ago, Jmeredith said:

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this website. I went to my Dr on Tuesday and let them know I was interested in Bariatric Surgery, my Dr without hesitation said she thought I was a candidate. I've struggled with my weight and body image since I was 18 years old. Now that I am 29 I really want to do something about it, I'm tired of dieting and hating myself when I eat badly, so I thought I would give this serious thought. I got a call from my Dr. Saying that to start my process I would need to go to the 3 Hour class. I'm excited but scared had no idea it would happen so fast! So here I am nervous.. I'm scared to lose to much, I'm scared to lose the parts of my body that I love. I also cant find anyone who started around the weight that I am .. I have friends and family telling me that I'm fine but I dont feel that way. I hate getting on the scale but I think I'm about 246.00 at 5'6. Anyone else start around this weight? Also how do you prepare yourself?

Hi there...Congrats on your first step. Our stats are pretty close and all the feelings and emotions that you feel are absolutely normal, It actually took me 5 years to decide to start the process, I went for my 1st consultation 5 years ago and I thought I could just do it on my own but that did not happen, so I finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired and I started my process back in April 2018 and had to have 4 months of nutrionist visits, psych visit, lots of blood work and basically what most people on this site had to do but it does vary depending on your program/Doctor and each person...I am happy and excited to say that I am finally scheduled for surgery August 29th. To me it is so worth it and I have found so much information, tips, good people and a wealth of information on this very site. I try and log on daily if I can and read some posts, tips, make a comment and help others as people here have helped me. I have met some very kind folks here. Keep reading and asking questions, everyone here is always willing to inspire others. You made the first step so you will be fine. Feel free to message me anytime and whatever Info or encouragement that I can give you throughout your journey, I am here. I wish you the best!! :)

Edited by wanda247

28 minutes ago, wanda247 said:

Hi there...Congrats on your first step. Our stats are pretty close and all the feelings and emotions that you feel are absolutely normal, It actually took me 5 years to decide to start the process, I went for my 1st consultation 5 years ago and I thought I could just do it on my own but that did not happen, so I finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired and I started my process back in April 2018 and had to have 4 months of nutrionist visits, psych visit, lots of blood work and basically what most people on this site had to do but it does vary depending on your program/Doctor and each person...I am happy and excited to say that I am finally scheduled for surgery August 29th. To me it is so worth it and I have found so much information, tips, good people and a wealth of information on this very site. I try and log on daily if I can and read some posts, tips, make a comment and help others as people here have helped me. I have met some very kind folks here. Keep reading and asking questions, everyone here is always willing to inspire others. You made the first step so you will be fine. Feel free to message me anytime and whatever Info or encouragement that I can give you throughout your journey, I am here. I wish you the best!! :)

Thank you so much! and Conrats on your date! I'm hoping I can hear soon. My insurance completely covers the surgery so I'm hoping its not a terribly long process. If you have IG and are tracking your progress post your handle!

7 minutes ago, Jmeredith said:

Thank you so much! and Conrats on your date! I'm hoping I can hear soon. My insurance completely covers the surgery so I'm hoping its not a terribly long process. If you have IG and are tracking your progress post your handle!

Thank you...No I'm not tracking my progress on IG but I do really like this site because I learn so much but I have seen post from others on here that track their progress on FB and IG so maybe do a search on the site. Keep me posted on your insurance outcome.

I think it is great you are going to do this at 29. I wish I had had my surgery years ago.

On your fears. You are very unlikely to lose too much. In fact it takes a lot of effort to even get to goal, much less below it. Unfortunately the weight doesn't just "fall off", we need to do the work too.

As far as keeping the part of your body you love, I have for the most part. Ok, my boobs are a little sadder than I want them to be. But I have a great hour glass, and a pretty amazing butt, if I do say so myself. :lol: Being younger, your results will be even better.

Good luck, you'll be glad you did this!

I'm 321 at 5ft8in, 72, Having RnY surgery,September 5th. Although,i am quite a bit older I am a GOOD listener. My own weight. has been. ⬆⬇and all over the place. And I am nice and like to help people get over their fears, most of us have had them at one time or another.

Start with the 3 hour class. Don't be nervous as everyone else attending is just like you. Takes notes and ask questions if you like. They will literally walk you through all the next steps and there are lots of steps before they'll do the surgery. You can do this!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Just think of it as a learning process. Your fears are questions that will be answered during this time. This only becomes permanent when you have the surgery. All you are doing at this point is deciding to look into WLS and learning about it. Don't let the nerves get the best of you. Good Luck to you.

Hello,

I am starting my journey also, My Dr. have submitted my referral to the surgeons office ,, I am just waiting on them to call me for the first appt .with the surgeon. I know I have to have 2 classes , nutrition psychology and one other appt. I am excited I know they have my referral trying to be patient and not call them. Good luck on your journey and its ok to be nervous but in the end you will be happy.