Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Duplicate

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

2 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Thank you. By nature I much prefer fruits/veggies to meat so this kind of diet really appeals to me. And it's much less to think about! ;)

Exactly! I believe less we think about food and deciding what to eat, the better. I dream of a pill full of all important calories/nutrients, with a hunger-off capability :) That will solve the entire poverty issue on Earth.

9 minutes ago, temkins said:

Exactly! I believe less we think about food and deciding what to eat, the better. I dream of a pill full of all important calories/nutrients, with a hunger-off capability :) That will solve the entire poverty issue on Earth.

Soylent green without the dead people!

8 hours ago, Neversaynever said:

weight chart.jpg

WOW! This was eye-opening! I consider myself a slow loser, but I seem to be right on track with the 200-250 group.

I was a high starting weight. September of 2017 I weighed 475 recorded by my PCP. My surgeon had a very aggressive goal for me to lose to 380 before surgery so out of desperation/necessity, I counted calories, ate little and did what I could. On surgery day I was 386, nearly 5.5 months later. I'm fast approaching 6 months post surgery now and have had lots of issues with my tummy that have prevented me from eating and or keeping food down. I weighed yesterday and was 308. Somewhere in my day dreams I entertain the idea that I've lost too slowly. My expectations were crazy though! I thought I would lose 20 lbs a month until I was slim! I thought I would be well into the 200 lb range by now. Time is so antagonistic! I've waited so long to get the help I need and I just want to blink my eyes and see a new body each time! I know it's a day dream though. When I see the nutritionist she does this "in body" check and can calculate a fairly good estimate of my BMR and my metabolism is super crap now. So...I try my best to eat good things, to eat reasonably to move more and to be honest with myself and I know the weight will come off.

I try to think of things I'm proud of all the time. This helps me to refocus and not sink into despair about the speed at which things are moving for me. Lately, I've been cooking lovely dinners for my husband and son that are healthy and delicious. It makes me happy to see them eat better along with me and I feel like I'm being a better person. I don't make them suffer or anything lol. The challenge for me is to actually make something they like and I'm so proud of this. I think if you can find something that is hobby-like that supports your new life change, you might be able to deflect some of the worries you have. Cheers.

I’m a slow loser. With pre surgery and post surgery weight loss factored in I’ve lost 27 pounds. My surgery was June 1st. It is trending downward though so I just focus on getting fit and healthy. My nut said to just count Protein and that’s what I do. I don’t count calories or carbs. I eat primarily protein and produce. I cave into sugar every now and then.

18 hours ago, CrazieConnie said:

So I will be 3 months out from VSG on the 21st of August and as of today I've lost 37 pounds. My highest weight was 428 May of 2017 and I weighed 373 the morning of surgery. I was stalled almost the whole month of July but ended up losing a little over 6 pounds at the end of the month... I eat about 1000-1200 per my nutritionist with 80-100g of Protein and 50-75g of carbs and exercise 45 mins a day, 6 days a week. Any suggestions or help? Am I not eating enough? I can eat about 4-5oz of meat and some veggies, I just don't know if I'm just a slow loser or what... Anyone weighing 350+ that was a slow loser still lose a lot of weight within a year or two... I'm just worried it's never going to come off... Please help calm me...

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello Connie

I have lost only 26 pounds so far and I am 3 months post op as of today. I have been in a major stall for quite some time. I know it seems like you will not reach your goal weight but it will happen. I dont eat any more than 350 calories a day. Not by choice I just cant stomach much food. You will be fine.

1 hour ago, BurBur said:

I was a high starting weight. September of 2017 I weighed 475 recorded by my PCP. My surgeon had a very aggressive goal for me to lose to 380 before surgery so out of desperation/necessity, I counted calories, ate little and did what I could. On surgery day I was 386, nearly 5.5 months later. I'm fast approaching 6 months post surgery now and have had lots of issues with my tummy that have prevented me from eating and or keeping food down. I weighed yesterday and was 308. Somewhere in my day dreams I entertain the idea that I've lost too slowly. My expectations were crazy though! I thought I would lose 20 lbs a month until I was slim! I thought I would be well into the 200 lb range by now. Time is so antagonistic! I've waited so long to get the help I need and I just want to blink my eyes and see a new body each time! I know it's a day dream though. When I see the nutritionist she does this "in body" check and can calculate a fairly good estimate of my BMR and my metabolism is super crap now. So...I try my best to eat good things, to eat reasonably to move more and to be honest with myself and I know the weight will come off.

I try to think of things I'm proud of all the time. This helps me to refocus and not sink into despair about the speed at which things are moving for me. Lately, I've been cooking lovely dinners for my husband and son that are healthy and delicious. It makes me happy to see them eat better along with me and I feel like I'm being a better person. I don't make them suffer or anything lol. The challenge for me is to actually make something they like and I'm so proud of this. I think if you can find something that is hobby-like that supports your new life change, you might be able to deflect some of the worries you have. Cheers.

You are doing extremely fast! Also, with 20 lbs/month just imagine what would happen to your skin?! You would tangle in it while you walk :))

On 08/08/2018 at 21:58, CrazieConnie said:

I drink about 72+ of pure Water daily... And I still use a Protein Shake for Breakfast, I stick to taco salad for lunch, which consist of 1/2 cup of taco meat with some romaine, some spinach, 2 tablespoons of salsa and about 1/4 of cheddar cheese, sometimes I put black Beans in, dinner varies but usually chicken, about 4-5oz and a few bites of veggies, I don't make much carbs anymore... And I'll have a snack or two a day, usually dannon light and fit Greek yogurt or sargento breaks with the cheese and nuts... For a "treat" once in a while I will have a mini ice cream sandwich or mini Klondike which those are about 120 calories... But I don't eat those everyday... I am not gonna lie, I have had some snack foods in the past but the last month or so I stick firm to this menu... I did email my nutritionist and waiting for a response, I go back at the beginning of Sept for my 3 month followup so we will see what she says too....

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Ive not had surgery yet, and I’m no expert but... In my experience in life I’ve lost quickly, except when I eat sugar. I would certainly avoid the ice cream and “treats”. Real food only and I would guess it’ll happen to your liking.

On 8/9/2018 at 11:48 AM, AshAsh1 said:

And I will tell you from experience that Snacks is not the problem. Snacks are almost necessary in the early stages to meet your nutritional goals. Unless you have a Bariatric NUT, which I'd be surprised if you do, they don't have a firm grasp on our stomach capacity and how our anatomy is limiting. I've had to educate my NUT on certain things. I'm not saying they all do, but they forget that the things that work for regular people who are dieting, or eating healthy, don't always work for us. There is nothing wrong with snacks to meet your goals.

I don't want to toot my own horn but I lost 100lbs 5 months post op, 128lbs overall. And I eat 3 snacks per day. My typical meal plan looks like this:

8:00a- breakfast
11:00a- snack
1:30p- lunch
4:00p- snack
7:00p-dinner
9:00p- snack (almost always is FairLife milk)

Obviously times vary, but very typical for me to have 3 snacks per day.

I agree especially if those snacks are more like meals ...

On 8/9/2018 at 12:03 PM, AshAsh1 said:

I've also been on a 1,000 calorie diet since about 8 weeks post op. Goes to show, different strokes for different folks.

Will you share what a typical daily menu looks like? Or at least a handful of your go to meals/snacks.

1,000 calories is about where I try to be as well.

I am 3 months post-op, doing well, but struggling with building my new routine. Also struggling packing my lunch for work. I am trying to reduce protien shakes bc they aren't filling. I can see how they could become extra calories in the long run. Mine are only 130 calories, but that still adds up.

Don't anyone jump on me, I understand that protien shakes are a valuable tool to add both Fluid and Protein. But at this stage they need to be a tool, not what I rely on. Every body is different.

13 hours ago, Sleeved36 said:

Will you share what a typical daily menu looks like? Or at least a handful of your go to meals/snacks.

1,000 calories is about where I try to be as well.

I am 3 months post-op, doing well, but struggling with building my new routine. Also struggling packing my lunch for work. I am trying to reduce protien shakes bc they aren't filling. I can see how they could become extra calories in the long run. Mine are only 130 calories, but that still adds up.

Don't anyone jump on me, I understand that protien shakes are a valuable tool to add both Fluid and Protein. But at this stage they need to be a tool, not what I rely on. Every body is different.

Sure. I usually eat a homemade egg frittata for Breakfast. I mix up what I put in it so that I don't get bored. I also do egg muffins that I can reheat for on the go.

https://kalynskitchen.com/cottage-cheese-and-egg-breakfast/

My Snacks consist of:

-Greek yogurt
-Cottage cheese
-Raw veggies with Greek Yogurt veggie dip (and I eat a lot of dip LOL)
-Hard Boiled Eggs
- Turkey roll ups
-Tuna to-go packets
-Edamame
-*New* favorite is Chia seed pudding :) yummmmm
-String cheese
- Guacamole and whole wheat or black bean chips.< br /> - Avocado toast (usually a half of a half, as a snack, a whole half as a meal)
-Apples and peanut butter
-Berry mix with some Greek yogurt and stevia to take the bitter edge off.
- Brussels Sprouts (3 small ones hits the mid-day snack spot)
- A cup of FairLife Milk, with SF chocolate Syrup. 13 grams of Protein

For meals:

I make a lot of meat. And I accompany my meat with veggies. Mostly Brussels sprouts, because they are my FAV. But I will occasionally mix it up with broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, ect .

- My go too is different seasoned or marinade chicken and veggie Kabobs.
- I do frozen wild salmon patties with a lemon garlic, minimum butter sauce
- I will make stuffed peppers with cauliflower rice, lean ground beef/turkey, shred cheese, sour cream, salsa, ect. I can usually get two meals out of one pepper (so long as I'm digging eating the pepper).
- I make lots of things with WonTon wrappers. I make little lasagna cups, taco cups, chicken cordon bleu cups, ect. And these are great for reheating!
https://www.barilife.com/blog/10-single-serving-meals-you-need-in-your-bariatric-life/
-I will make chicken legs on the grill that go a long way. I can easily make on here or there for lunch or snacks.
- I eat A LOT of soy meat. I haven't mastered cooking with soy, but I buy the Gardein brand and make that for a lot of lunches. I started doing this to naturally lower my cholesterol, and it has seriously WORKED.
- I make this tuna macaroni salad, that is a good cold version of Tuna Noodle Casserole. I use tuna, protein noodles, capers, tad bit of olive oil, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, sugar free sweet relish, and green onion.
- I make protein Pasta a lot. My mom buys me this amazing pasta that is made from black Beans and edamame (22grams per 1/2 cup) and I make a really meaty Pasta Sauce. She finds it from this specialty store in Chicago.

I could go on and on.... I'm still a foodie at heart! LOL.

But I don't use any protein supplements unless I'm extremely busy and know that I won't be able to get my protein in. So I do keep a couple single serve powder packets on hand for those days.

Majority of us have crap metabolism pre surgery and after surgery. Does not matter how fast or slow our weight loss is. It's fine to lose slow. Comparing and looking up charts of where you should be is going to make you crazy. Focus on your results not speed.

We are adults here. The only one who has to be happy with your plan and results is you. Thinking and deciding about what you eat will be a factor in your long term success. Weight loss is going to slow down more as you progress out from surgery. Make the most of this first year. The work is going to continue when you get to maintenance phase.

Edited by skinnylife

11 hours ago, AshAsh1 said:

I could go on and on.... I'm still a foodie at heart!

Yes!! That is also part of why I am so over protien shakes!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a long and thoughtful response, gave me lots of ideas 🤗

I think my kiddo will really like helping me cook with wonton wrappers!

On 08/13/2018 at 20:56, Sleeved36 said:

Yes!! That is also part of why I am so over protien shakes!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a long and thoughtful response, gave me lots of ideas 🤗

I think my kiddo will really like helping me cook with wonton wrappers!

You are so welcome! Anytime :)