Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UHC requirements

I talked to United Health Care and they told me i have no pre op diet requirements, does that mean after my appointments with the nurse practitioner, nutritionist, psychologist, etc i am ready for surgery?

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

• Like 1

I have united and I had to follow a 6 month supervised WL program. It could just be my level, but that’s what I was required

• Like 1

Me Too when I had it, seems to be Standard.

Called United Health Care again and this time they said 6 month supervised diet. Whoever I talked to the first time sure got my hopes up!

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have UHC and I had to do the 6-month supervised diet. You should be talking to Optum Healthcare, and get assigned a Bariatric Services Nurse. Have you called them yet? That's the first step (and required) with UHC. I believe the number is: 866-534-7209

Edited by _Shane_
additional info
  • Like 1

Just had surgery and have United also check i did not need all the supervised visits etc. But they did require 5 year of previous weight records. Also to make sure my dr. Made me do 3 months of nutrition visit plus some test. Paper work submited July 10 approved July 13 and surgery July 25. Congrats on the journey. Good luck with insurance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Posted (edited)

I've attached a PDF of the latest UHC medical policy which does include a 6-month diet requirement:

"The individual must also meet the following criteria:
o Documentation of a motivated attempt of weight loss through a structured diet program, prior to bariatric surgery, which includes physician or other health care provider notes and/or diet or weight loss logs from a structured weight loss program for a minimum of 6 months;"

I've been preaching against these diet programs for many, many years ( "June Gloom" & Bariatric Surgery Insurance Denials ) because there is no evidence showing these delays improve outcomes. They are especially dangerous to start towards the end of the year because of the risk that coverage might change after January 1st.

Good luck and I hope this information helps any UHC folks out there!

Regards, Walter Lindstrom

UHC bariatric-surgery.pdf

Edited by Walter Lindstrom Jr.
signature

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Featured Surgeons

1. Masoud Rezvani

Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

2. Lisa Medvetz

Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

• Recent Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Shannon lee

Has anyone reading this lied about your weight just to get the surgery done?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Lucy81

I don't know what to do for my birthday being that I just had weight loss surgery I know that I have a lot to be grateful for
      · 1 reply
      1. iattcom

What would you normally do?

Instead of planning a meal, what about an activity that you enjoy.

If the weather is nice, plan a picnic and explain that you are not eating and will not be providing a cake instead if you wanted you could have birdseed bags that people could use to feed the birds or the ducks in a pond at the park where the picnic would be held. Everyone could bring their own lunch if they wanted to attend and you would only have to make little birdseed bags.

If nature walks are more your style, do something along those lines and just let everyone know that for your birthday you are planning an activity and not a party. There will be no cake and ice cream if that is what they are looking for, they can just stay home.

You could ask your friends to join you in a day of caring and you could all volunteer together somewhere either serving at a soup kitchen, helping at a shelter or a children's center or even a senior center.

• GreenTealael

I managed to finally break my old school manual Italian espresso maker... Is this a sign? 
      · 2 replies
      1. abefroman329

Of what?

2. GreenTealael

Of what indeed. I thought at first I should give up coffee, nonsense.h Then I thought I should go out for coffee with friends more. Then I thought I should go to Italy for coffee with friends and get a new maker...

• Naughty Glitter Goddess

Well, I'm 4 1/2 weeks post op and feeling really great!  I'm down 27 lb and 2 sizes since surgery and I got the all clear to start weight lifting again now that my hernia is mostly healed.  So excited to fit back in my cute coats for winter!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • dorijae2018

Hi i'm dorijae, and into my pre-op evals, still undecided as to sleeve or bypass, but thinking bypass.  Happy to see this support group.  Have read some of the blogs on surgery, etc.  
      · 2 replies
      1. 2shea

Welome dorijae2018, there are lot of supportive people on the forums, if you have any questions many are only too happy to help

2. Sosewsue61

Welcome. We are pretty friendly most of the time. Use the spyglass search option at the top of the forum page to find specific topics. We all decide on the type of surgery based on our current personal health conditions, what we prefer our outcome to be, and research we do. Some prefer bypass because they have consistent GERD, or fear getting it, some want a little faster initial weight loss, or consider it the best standard in bariatrics. Others prefer the sleeve because they do not want malabsorption of vitamins - particularly iron, want their stomach to have the valve and vagus nerve stay intact, don't want a pouch that can stretch, and lose just a little slower over a longer time frame. The real outcomes for overall weight loss is not much different in either surgery at the 18 month mark. It is a very personal decision and don't let anyone make it for you. Read and read some more and ask your surgeon a lot of questions. Good luck.

• Trending Topics

• Magazine Articles

• Together, we have lost...
      lbs