Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone out there a weight lifting/fitness pro?

Ok...so looking for some advice. First off let me start by explaining that my work schedule is hectic...im out the door by 530am and home roughly 530-6pm

Im a mom and a wife so that also keeps me busy.

I have a home gym with plenty of equipment, free weights, and bars/weights, pull up bar, elliptical, spin bike, treadmill, bowflex, weight benches and powerline p2x machine with the leg press...so no i never go to the gym and meet with personal trainers because i just dont have the extra time.

every night i work out...i run a mile, or spin for roughly 30 min (aka my warm up)...just long enough to get the pre work out to kick in.

Here is my routine not too detailed, but what i rotate...usually pick 5 exercises that target that spacific group and do 4 rounds of 10-15 reps

Mon- warm up + 1 hr back

Tue-warm up + 1 hr shoulders

Wed-warm up + 1hr arms/bi's/tri's

Thur-warm up + 1hr legs

Fri-warm up + 1hr abs

Sat-warm up + 1hr chest

Sun-warm up + 1hr back

And rotate back through the list.

So long story short... the roughly 1.5 hours that i have avalible each night is my max time...you know before dinner homework ect.

My delema is this...i wanted to do another round of insanity (30 day program) to switch things up...its about 45 min long cd's.

Is it worth quitting the weight lifting/warm up to do a month of crossfit style exercise? I only have time for 1 or the other....

Edited by funky_monkey800

do not give up on your resistance training... try super setting ... I do my warm ups by doing light weight higher rep for first set , and do my 30 min cardio after my resistance training ... doing cardio after give me more energy to lift the weights .. do a cardio day .. just my opinion .. my surgeon wanted me to just do weights and no cardio at all .... muscle gives you a more fit look as to many people I know who just did cardio looked like they where wearing a skin suit . if you want any ideas on super sets routines go onto youtube , Whitney Simmons channels has some very good routines

I was banded oct of 2014...so a few years now.

There is no way i would have enough steam to do cardio after weights. Lol...usually im bushed...but i will def. try!

So when you say resistance, isnt weights via machine say rows or leg press considered resistance?

I always read cardio warm up followed by heavy weights less reps, till you cant complete with good form, followed by lighter weights, more reps?

Ugh...so much different info...maybe swap one day out for cardio? And see how that goes....

Edited by funky_monkey800

I always say resistance training because when I say weight training People tend to think Arnold lifting ,,,

I use both machines , dumbbells , barbells , bands etc... any weight baring exercise ... my story is I got vsg in a June of 2016 , I have always trained with weight since 2007 so before my surgery I did heavy abs workouts with ball, machines etc.. think that is what help with not having any extra skin , I am 55 so a little harder to lose weight and maintain but my rountine is for longevity , my rountine , is I work out at gym after work. ( I sit down all day) Monday , Wednesday and Fridays , 1hr weights , 30 min elliptical, tues and Thursdays some sort of leisure cardio with friend 3 mile walk , or a long bike ride , Saturday at 6 or 7am go to the gym and I do a c25k for 30, light weight training on muscles did not work during weeks and end with a 30 min cardio be it elliptical or stair climbing or some other machine , they have Netflix so I just do something and watch a 30 min show .. I try to do a rountine that I will do for the rest of my days. I make sure I do at least 2 days of training a week , anything over that is gravy . but I make sure I at least do mon and wed , I schedule stuff around those days so no excuse ,,, seems to work , i am also a personal trainer so I have about 4 clients right now but when I retire I will pick up more.. but all in all bottom line is weight training , resistance is a must and should be kept in your routine

Lol arnold lifting😂 wow thats awesome you are a personal trainer i could literally pick your brain for hours.....

My job is quite hectic im on my feet all day so 10k steps is a pretty common day....

I always felt that the run (which is a mile and usually under 10 min)/spin would work as a warm up to get my blood pumping and head in the game after a 12hr shift. (And let that pre work out kick in!)

I never thought it would hinder my weight lifting!

Im definitely going to give your suggestions a try!

Thank you!

Just add it in 2-3 days per week and lift weights the other days. That way you’re still toning too. You can also wake up earlier and do insanity in the morning and do your other routine in the evenings. I did T-25 and i love it. I also do boxing and heavy weight lifting.

Well I doubt I will ever become,a total gym rat, my 72byear muscles might rip if I lifted real weights, but,you,know I can improvise. I can go from Soup, cans to V8 cans to a 5 pound bag of something in each hand, then a 10 pound and then, just then, I can go to 25 pounds? The sky,might,be the limit even for a near-geriatric broad. And I can cheer you real weightlifters, the bench pressers, I may be minor league in comparison but each clean and jerk I'm your God mother rooting at the edge of the gym.!😛👍😛

So If you have a love for weights, I suggest Stronglifts 5x5 app. It focuses on the compound exercises that engage your entire body and starts at as much of a beginner level as you want. It progressively adds weight as you go, and will deload weight if you fail to complete your sets on three different days. I knock out the sets plus 4-5 accessories (muscle specific machines like abductor, pec fly, delts) in about an hour, 3x a week. The basic version is free and worth a look.

Edited by Bootscraper