Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Four weeks post op after sleeve- what are you eating?

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I don't know how to bump up my calories either. This is definitely not easy to figure out the balance.

I start soft foods next week. I met with my NP today and she told me that your body has to adjust to getting food in again. Eat several times a day if you can. I am a diabetic so I have to get some carbs in there. Not alot, but enough to keep my sugars from crashing. Keep doing your exercises and as your body adjusts, the weight will start coming back off.

Follow your plans as close as possible and don't move your calories up unless explicitly told to. Your body will adjust and dip back into weight loss so don't worry about starvation mode

As seen in the actual starving masses, if you don't eat ,or don't eat enough, you will lose weight. That's is why these surgeries work (along with other metabolic changes that occur). To get you to the point where you cross beyond starvation mode and actually start consuming fat stores. It takes time and work so be patient

Google ketosis, lipolysis and the mechanisms of weight loss when you have any doubts.

Safe Journey!

Edited by GreenTealael

That's great advice and something I had no idea about. Thank you for that bit of information, and I will be googling tonight.

THANX

I am currently 4 weeks as of yesterday. I have hit a stall this week, but overall the weight loss has been remarkable despite feeling so sick (lots of vomiting!) and nauseous. I was having buyers remorse after surgery thinking what I have done to myself watching my family eat when dining out. I kept wondering when would this get better but since hitting one month post-op, I can sincerely say that I am feeling much better. My surgeon's 3 week post operative diet consist of eggs (can add Chinese egg drop soup), Tofu, fish (baked, grilled, steamed or broiled, not fried or breaded or fish sticks), seafood (no shrimp but lobster yes!) and soft cheeses. 70 grams of Protein, 30 grams of carbs per day. A Protein Shake can still be used a s Meal Replacement. I am not meeting goals, because I eat so little and stay full for so long. I carry my water bottle everywhere to sip all day and use either Cyrstal Light or sugar free Cherry Kool-Aid to the mix. I tried two spoon fools of spaghetti with beef & turkey meat sauce; and did not affect me at all yesterday. I cut up the well cooked noodles (since the nutritionist said that you can eat soft noodles like in Campbell chicken noodle soup) and took my time eating the small amount. I have only tried well cooked zucchini and mashed potatoes. I tried tuna fish with a bit of mayo, but it was too heavy and made me sick. I have also tried hard boiled eggs and scrambled eggs with cheese but they don't sit well either. I also tried refried Beans with a pinch of shredded cheese and sour cream, but again too heavy. I am eating Soups but avoiding cream based soups. The biggest thing I miss is chugging down a bottle of Water when I am thirsty. A few days ago I had a metallic taste in my mouth and could not get rid of it and constant dry mouth no matter if I drank water. Has anyone else experienced this?

6 minutes ago, JulesUp said:

I am currently 4 weeks as of yesterday. I have hit a stall this week, but overall the weight loss has been remarkable despite feeling so sick (lots of vomiting!) and nauseous. I was having buyers remorse after surgery thinking what I have done to myself watching my family eat when dining out. I kept wondering when would this get better but since hitting one month post-op, I can sincerely say that I am feeling much better. My surgeon's 3 week post operative diet consist of eggs (can add Chinese egg drop soup), Tofu, fish (baked, grilled, steamed or broiled, not fried or breaded or fish sticks), seafood (no shrimp but lobster yes!) and soft cheeses. 70 grams of Protein, 30 grams of carbs per day. A Protein Shake can still be used a s Meal Replacement. I am not meeting goals, because I eat so little and stay full for so long. I carry my Water bottle everywhere to sip all day and use either Cyrstal Light or sugar free Cherry Kool-Aid to the mix. I tried two spoon fools of spaghetti with beef & turkey meat sauce; and did not affect me at all yesterday. I cut up the well cooked noodles (since the nutritionist said that you can eat soft noodles like in Campbell chicken noodle soup) and took my time eating the small amount. I have only tried well cooked zucchini and mashed potatoes. I tried tuna fish with a bit of mayo, but it was too heavy and made me sick. I have also tried hard boiled eggs and scrambled eggs with cheese but they don't sit well either. I also tried refried Beans with a pinch of shredded cheese and sour cream, but again too heavy. I am eating Soups but avoiding cream based Soups. The biggest thing I miss is chugging down a bottle of Water when I am thirsty. A few days ago I had a metallic taste in my mouth and could not get rid of it and constant dry mouth no matter if I drank water. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi there. Sorry you’ve had so much nausea. I’ve had it mostly with Vitamins. I am approaching week five. Sick of tuna and canned chicken meat with low fat mayo. Can’t stomach it anymore. Tried a piece of low fat sausage and it was heaven. Eating soups, cooked chicken, yogurt things like that. Haven’t really tried veges other than squash. Oh I also tried mashed potatoes and chilli and they were so good. Yes. I do occasionally get a metallic taste in my mouth. Not sure what that’s about.

I made these yesterday as I'm really trying to get more veggies in my diet. Delicious! https://weelicious.com/2010/07/29/spinach-ricotta-bites/

That said, my weight loss is pretty slow, too. I'm down to 210 from my first appointment weight of 245 and surgery weight of 222.

3 minutes ago, thatch said:

I made these yesterday as I'm really trying to get more veggies in my diet. Delicious! https://weelicious.com/2010/07/29/spinach-ricotta-bites/

That said, my weight loss is pretty slow, too. I'm down to 210 from my first appointment weight of 245 and surgery weight of 222.

Good for you thatch. Im losing a little slower than you. Frustrating. Down to 114. Gonna try that recipe.

I am also around week 4. I can barely get in 300 calories a day. I feel full all the time and still have no desire to eat or drink anything. I have stalled about the last 10 days. Very discouraging but trying to focus on non scale victories. I typically have a Protein Shake with around 2 ounces of yogurts for Breakfast. I try to have lunch but that rarely happens. So dinner is usually 2 sugar free popsicles and maybe a 1/2 cup of cream Soup. I feel like I should be eating more and losing more. Taking it day by day. Hope something happens soon.

I'm also getting dry mouth, I put it down to the Protein Water I have been consuming but I still had it when I drank only water for a few days
I start the soft food stage this week, I am looking forward to some fish

I had dry mouth around week 5, I had no idea what it was!

I just tried drinking more and it gradually disappeared, I am now just over 12 weeks out.

I am just starting week 4 of my post-op foods. I am in the "soft foods" portion of my plan. I can eat eggs, soft cheeses, nut butters (as long as they are smooth), oatmeal (as long as it is on the wet side), ground beef and pork, poultry, fish (all meats must be moist), soft cooked veggies (none of the stringy ones), saltines, melba toast , couscous, quinoa, yogourt, and some fruit.

Edited by Cara-Lea

3 minutes ago, Cara-Lea said:

I am just starting week 4 of my post-op foods. I am in the "soft foods" portion of my plan. I can eat eggs, soft cheeses, nut butters (as long as they are smooth), oatmeal (as long as it is on the wet side), ground beef and pork, poultry, fish (all meats must be moist), soft cooked veggies (none of the stringy ones), saltines, melba toast , couscous, quinoa, yogourt, and some fruit.

See now oatmeal was on my list of no no’s. Not sure why. Have to call my doctors office and find out why. A nice little bit of oatmeal would fill me up and be yummy.

The dry and metal taste in your month can be ketosis which means you’re burning fat. Make sure you up your plain Water and good fats ( small amount) you all are awesome doing great