Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did someone help you at home after surgery?

20 hours ago, MK686 said:

Hi, everyone! I'm new to this community and WOW, what an incredible resource! I've been reading through posts for about a week and it's been really insightful. Thank you all!

I'm trying to figure out my post-op support for when I'm released from the hospital and head home (I live alone). I know everyone is different, but how long did someone help you out at home after surgery before you felt like you were good to go on your own?

If you have any other insights or considerations related to this as well, please let me know. Thanks so much!

It is not that kind of surgery where someone needs to help you afterwords.

On the way home from the hospital the day after my RNY my husband had an emergency at his office, Since it was on our way home we stopped in and he needed to stay for a few hours doing damage control. I just left him there and drove myself home.

My teen was still on Summer break and around to fetch and carry if I needed her to and of course my Service Dog is always eager to pick up what I drop or need carried but really after the first couple of days, other than being sore, everything is managable.

My RNY bypass was on 8/1 I stayed in the hospital for 4 nights. I also had gall bladder removed, hernia repair & vagotomy & had swallowing difficulties. I have been staying with my sister, I don't so much need her help, but she had bypass 10 years ago so offers me helpful advice & keeps me resting. Bending, reaching & sleeping is still difficult, but I think I could have handled it at home alone if I'd had to! Best of luck to you!

Didn’t really need any help after my rny. Just made sure grocery shopping was done etc BC you can’t lift for a while.

I had help with my kids, but as far as me personally? I don’t think I really needed any help

On 08/06/2018 at 12:57, MK686 said:

Hi, everyone! I'm new to this community and WOW, what an incredible resource! I've been reading through posts for about a week and it's been really insightful. Thank you all!

I'm trying to figure out my post-op support for when I'm released from the hospital and head home (I live alone). I know everyone is different, but how long did someone help you out at home after surgery before you felt like you were good to go on your own?

If you have any other insights or considerations related to this as well, please let me know. Thanks so much!

I’m on day 2 post op (sleeved 8/6) 1 & a half days in the hospital, I’m home now. Yesterday I could do everything for myself I even passed some gas ( gas pain is no joke). Today I woke up on my own little pain and no assistance from anyone. I think it’s a mental thing. I also think it’s going to depend on how you’re feeling after surgery. The day of surgery I was soooooo weak but today I feel fine. A little gas pain and little stomach pain but other then that I’m doing fine for myself.

The first day from the hospital my bf went a did do shopping for me. But after that I told him I needed to do stuff on my own

I was actually able to drive today. I probably give myself a little more time. I was up most of the day started feeling a little pain a little after 9 but not to bad. Heating pad is my best friend while trying to not take the painkillers.

I also live alone, I drove myself home and was out and about a day later, no pain or discomfort at all

after a few days I was able to cook again for my family. but other things like house cleaning, laundry etc, I took it easy. Especially laundry - leaning into the washing machine was a no no. lifting the vaccum, nope. took around amonth for that stuff.

4 minutes ago, laurileet said:

Especially laundry - leaning into the washing machine was a no no. lifting the vaccum, nope. took around amonth for that stuff.

Ah, that's a really good insight about laundry -- thank you!

If you make sure all your cleaning is done before you leave. You should be fine,
I was home alone and just used Tylenol for pain

I haven't had surgery yet but I'm planning on using one of those grabby stick things on a handle if I can't bend and my husband isn't around.

I'm 7 days out and I'm doing everything I could do before. Feeling really good actually!

I had help from my hubby for about a week. The main thing I needed assistance with was the blood thinner shots I had to be on for 10 days. I could have done them myself, but I preferred to have someone else do it.;)