Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Weight gain 4 months Post Partum

Hi Everyone!

I had vsg surgery June 2016. I went from 230 to 154. I got pregnant with our 3rd boy in 2017. During the pregnancy I maintained the weight until the very end I was up a few lbs to 158. I had a csection and by the time i got home from hospital I was up to 167!!!! I had gained weight after delivering which made no sense to me but i learned it was mostly Fluid retention from hospital iv’s. I watched carefully what i ate and after 2 months the retention came off plus more as i was down to 144lbs. After that and 2 months of breastfeeding I developed major cravings for junk.....mostly sugar. I was also very stressed and had been hit with ppd...depression. I was treated for depression but my cravings turned into out of control eatting of anything sweet. I am beginning to gain weight and definitely look ALOT heavier although i am 158, i look bigger than i did when i was last 158 if that makes sense. This is really depressing me and I need help as im afraid if i keep up at this rate ill be 230lbs again.

Im also eating alot more quantity wise...its like i never had the surgery! I dont get the tight full feeling anymore that told me when to stop eating, i also dont the pain that tells me I overate.

Has anyone else gone through this? How can i reverse it and start loosing again? Is it possible that ive stretched my sleeve?

lastly, has anyone else breastfed and have gotten these cravings?

9 hours ago, reachbree said:

has anyone else breastfed and have gotten these cravings?

This was long before my surgery, but as far as the cravings and breastfeeding goes - you are exhausted! When you're running on fumes your body craves sugar desperately. Find some way to get some rest. I know how hard it is; I had 4 under 4. Best wishes and congrats on your new little bundle of joy!

Take brewers yeast as a supplement, old La Leche League trick for MAMAS.

Thanks Orchids! I am drained honestly. Should probably have Vitamin levels checked as i feel beyond drained lately. I went thru my whole pregnancy with low blood pressure and low Iron so this could be why.

Frustr8-Not sure if you meant for your comment to be for another post but thanks!

Nope I meant it for you, most nursing mothers day it gives them a "pick-me up" , can't hurt. And if you're low in Iron you can feel super-exhausted also. Hey you are doing your very best to give your little one a good start in life, but we worry about YOU also.

3 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Nope I meant it for you, most nursing mothers day it gives them a "pick-me up" , can't hurt. And if you're low in Iron you can feel super-exhausted also. Hey you are doing your very best to give your little one a good start in life, but we worry about YOU also.

Thank you i appreciate that! I did look up the brewers yeast and found some on Amazon ill be trying tho im not quite sure how to use it. I also started taking the heavy dose of Iron the dr prescribed for me after csection. Hoping these will help!

There are a bunch of lactation cookie recipes online that include brewers yeast, you could start there. Never tried them bc I suck at baking, but they looked good.

Breastfeeding is half of the reason I needed surgery. I was "stocky" for my whole life and gained small, but appropriate amounts of weight in pregnancy. BUT breastfeeding turned me into an eating machine. The hormones released with breastfeeding can mess with you. I ate like crazy, but still always felt hungry. I breastfed both of my boys for over 1 year and that led to being up 60 pounds after 2 kids. 😢

Orchids is right too, get more sleep. Nap all you can. Tired makes you want carbs/sugar.

Hang in there! It is tough, but you have already been through a lot and overcome!

I was 127 when I got pregnant last April, gained to 154 with the pregnancy. At 2 weeks out I started walking, at 6 weeks out I was running again, and at 9 weeks I was running 5 days a week and at the gym 3 days a week. I was eating fewer calories than I did pre-pregnancy and the scale never got below 141. I had my hormone levels tested, I saw the nutritionist, and even had a metabolic test done. I thought it was just because I was 40 and maybe old age/menopause was setting in. It was crazy. Anyway, try to watch the cravings, but it is hard because you are exhausted and body probably wants quick fuel. I am 9 months out from delivery and now pregnant again at age 41. So, going "hard core" isn't even an option for me. But, I did a version of the pouch reset which did really help me with the restriction feeling. I didn't just do 2 shakes and a small meal. I did 2 shakes, the lean Protein non/starchy meal, and 2 small Snacks - usually fruit or something. I could definitely feel the restriction back after that.