Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bra after surgery?

I tried searching but did not see anything on here for this question - I sincerely apologize if I'm repeating!!

I have an incision that's just about ON my bra line. As a result, I have not yet worn a bra post-surgery...but I'm only on day 6 and have managed to stay at home/backyard where no one would see my girls bouncing around freely. As much as I'd love to be someone who's comfortable just letting them "fly free" in public, I know that it'd make me feel really self-conscious and would make it hard for me to go out anywhere.

So, my questions are - How long did you wait post-surgery to wear a bra? Any suggestions on finding a bra that will not hurt incisions too much? Any luck finding camisoles with built-in bra for D/DD?

Thanks in advance!!

As soon as I needed to go out for real I put a real bra back on, I tripled my gauze padding on the incisions close to the bra. I did this for a while until I felt like I could go down a bra size.

Thanks for the suggestion! It's basic but I wouldn't have thought about just putting gauze over the incision to protect it from too much rubbing/chafing! I feel like an idiot! THANK YOU!

That is fantastic! I have been avoiding going out because of the girls. My neighbor told me she wasn’t offended by them so I felt like I could go to her house. I have been putting on a cami under my shirts in hopes it gives some kind of support and not as obvious. I have an appointment this week and will have to wear a bra. I like the gauze idea!

I love these bras for around the house and running errands

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M1GE7DC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

I have found though that they are not flattering now that my boobs have deflated. I still wear them, but not to see anyone I would want to impress :lol:

I will check them out! Thanks!!

Telfa Pad better than gauze, doesn't stick to wounds, and Johnson;Johnson/BandAid came,out with a competing kind that didn't stick either. No Yank-ee, you'll say Thank Ye!🙏

Cant wear a bra myself due to one incision and my drain. I get my drain pulled this Tuesday FINALLY!

4 hours ago, sillykitty said:

I love these bras for around the house and running errands

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M1GE7DC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

I have found though that they are not flattering now that my boobs have deflated. I still wear them, but not to see anyone I would want to impress :lol:

I love these. I actually call them my "softie bras" and I sleep in them every night.

1 hour ago, GeminiSky said:

Cant wear a bra myself due to one incision and my drain. I get my drain pulled this Tuesday FINALLY!

I had a drain too!!!

32 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

I had a drain too!!!

As the days go on the more I can feel it, and its really bugging me. I cant wait to get it pulled, 2 days!

9 minutes ago, GeminiSky said:

As the days go on the more I can feel it, and its really bugging me. I cant wait to get it pulled, 2 days!

My recovery improved drastically once it was removed, it was uncomfortable, albeit deemed necessary, but I was happy to get it out!

2 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

My recovery improved drastically once it was removed, it was uncomfortable, albeit deemed necessary, but I was happy to get it out!

Yeah its driving me nuts. Feels like something stuck in my chest plate. I cant WAIT! I would have gotten it out Monday but the surgeon is in clinic....Tuesday here we come!

I purchased a few Hanes seamless bra’s from Walmart. They have some at jc penny’s too or online. Most go up to a 3xl and that fit me just fine.

Although my incisions healed pretty well and fast, I was wearing a regular bra at 1.5 weeks.