Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 hours ago, macadamia said:

Welcome! Good luck with everything for your pre-op phase. I cannot even imagine trying to go the self-pay route.

Macadamia, self pay was actually a lot easier than I imagined. I was forced into it because even though the surgeons at mayo said it is necessary I have VSG before they could repair my hernia, my insurance doesn't cover it. Our insurance is changing in January to another company that excludes it. We would have a good case to fight it, even if they approved it immediately, we would have been looking at late June 2019 for surgery after all the typical insurance requirements. Meanwhile my hernia prevents me from driving my car because it's by my belly button and off to the side and rather large. Fortunately my husband's SUV steering wheel tilts up enough and I can position the seat at an angle that my short legs can reach the peddles, but stomach not smashed up against steering wheel.

Compare this to - I looked online to get prices, surgeon reputations, etc. Narrowed it down to 4, talked with 3, made consultations with 2 in July. Picked one, got scheduled for September. Got my EKG, lab, and met with nutritionist. All testing, surgery, appointments we're $10,000 total. We were fortunate to have family members pitch in, but we could have financed through Care Credit for 0% interest or a personal loan.

On 8/16/2018 at 4:08 PM, Heifzilla said:

September 24th, here!

I’m self-pay so don’t have to jump through any hoops except attend a class where I learn about my pre-op diet and eating afterwards, etc..

Amen! I was forced into it because I need VSG before any surgeon at mayo would repair my hernia and my insurance doesn't cover it. It turned out to be a mixed blessing because I got to choose my surgeon and could get the surgery much sooner. No worrying about insurance backing out or coming up with extra requirements they forgot or lost paperwork at the last minute.

On 8/17/2018 at 6:38 AM, hb2392 said:

Mine is September 4th. 26 years old, 5”11, 425lbs. Tired of being heavy and have tried everything under the sun to loose weight. I played college football and work a very physically demanding job. Here for about the past 6 months it seems like everyone around me can do physical activity so much easier than me, so that was the last straw. I’m self pay and moved pretty fast about getting it scheduled. Did my endoscope yesterday, no hernias or ulcers, just some reflux and eroded esophagus but doc said that can be fixed afterwards and it won’t interfere with surgery, so that is a blessing. I officially start the low fat diet on the 21st but have already started it. Pysch evaluation next week and pre surgery registration, along with an MRI for my lower back due to sciatic nerve pain (another reason I am getting surgery, have had previous back surgery from a disc, and have been told my weight is not helping). All in all I’m excited and ready but having anxiety about going under even though I did well yesterday with going under for the endoscope. That and the thought of knowing that 3/4 of my stomach is gone seems like it will be a strange feeling, but the end goal is worth it in my mind.

Welcome! I'm self pay too and having surgery the day after you. I didn't need to start my pre-op diet until the 22nd, but wanted to get a jump start too. Mine is Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch, and 4 oz of meat and veggies for dinner.

On 08/13/2018 at 22:27, misschrisdallas said:

Hi, guys!! Just found out today I was approved and am scheduled for September 12 in Lewisville, TX. :D I am sooo excited! Congrats, y’all!

What all have you all bought in preparation for the surgery (vitamins, shakes, whatever...)? I’m trying to get my list together because I’m sure it’ll be here before I know it.

Mine is the 10th! You’re the closest person I’ve found to my date so far😍

Come check out my September 2018 Surgeries and Success, you may find a surgery twin there, a lot if people have checked in and new ones daily.

2 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Come check out my September 2018 Surgeries and Success, you may find a surgery twin there, a lot if people have checked in and new ones daily.

Tried to find it, did a search, no dice. Can you link the post here?

Just now, Acee83 said:

Nice!! How are you feeling ? I'm anxious, excited and a little nervous

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Same. Worried about complications. Eager to get going. Worried about pain. Worried about taking time off from work since I’m very new.

On 08/18/2018 at 10:25, Frustr8 said:

Where is this group?

On 8/8/2018 at 11:35 AM, Frustr8 said:

Were yours in full color? Mine have been both times and think looking at them is really cool. We truly are "wonderfully made" like the Bible says.😛

Yes, our Creator did a wonderful job!

15 hours ago, KatallacStrong said:

Omg!!! I’m SO glad to have come across this thread; I just got my date! 9/10/18😍😍

I have created a Facebook group for September 2018 sleevers at the link below if any of y’all care to join😍

That's awesome! and welcome to the thread. Good luck with your pre-op phase!

BTW, I do not do FB so I will not be joining you there. Have fun!

16 hours ago, Christabelle said:

Macadamia, self pay was actually a lot easier than I imagined. I was forced into it because even though the surgeons at mayo said it is necessary I have VSG before they could repair my hernia, my insurance doesn't cover it. Our insurance is changing in January to another company that excludes it. We would have a good case to fight it, even if they approved it immediately, we would have been looking at late June 2019 for surgery after all the typical insurance requirements. Meanwhile my hernia prevents me from driving my car because it's by my belly button and off to the side and rather large. Fortunately my husband's SUV steering wheel tilts up enough and I can position the seat at an angle that my short legs can reach the peddles, but stomach not smashed up against steering wheel.

Compare this to - I looked online to get prices, surgeon reputations, etc. Narrowed it down to 4, talked with 3, made consultations with 2 in July. Picked one, got scheduled for September. Got my EKG, lab, and met with nutritionist. All testing, surgery, appointments we're $10,000 total. We were fortunate to have family members pitch in, but we could have financed through Care Credit for 0% interest or a personal loan.

I get what you are saying and I'm glad it will work out for you. I have student loans and a car loan, so my budget will not support anything like that at this time. I'm very lucky with the insurance I have. I know not everyone has great insurance, especially with the ACA crap. I have a pre-existing condition and it is covered by my insurance. I'm extremely lucky that this is the case. The medicine alone for my condition is extremely expensive.

I plan to elaborate about my medical history, but I'll mention part of it here. I have Crohn's disease. I've been on medication since 1990 for it and have had three major abdominal surgeries to deal with diseased sections of my intestines. I've taken many drugs, but the only ones that seem to work (for a while, anyway) are the biologics, such as Remicade (taken for over 10 years; now I have antibodies to it), Humira (taken for just over 2years; now I have antibodies to it too), Cimzia (did not work in over a year of taking it) and now Stelara. Stelara is the second most expensive drug sold in the United States, behind Harvoni (for hepatitis C). The way Stelara is administered is the first dose is given by infusion at the doctor's office. It is given intravenously over the course of several hours. Attached is the explanation of benefits from my insurance company. Since the infusion, I have received the first self-injected dose (I give myself one shot every two months until it does not work any longer (or I lose my insurance)). I've heard these are $20,000 per shot! I'll post the explanation of benefits once it is paid by the insurance company.

Without the insurance company paying for the surgery, I would have to opt out and find another way to lose the weight.

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 12.40.26 AM.png

Notice the "Amount You Owe" column. I met my deductable and out-of-pocket for this year back in March. Everything for the rest of this year will be covered at 100%. The second image is what they pay every six months for my C-Pap supplies.

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 12.41.59 AM.png

Edited by macadamia
fixed the images...

17 hours ago, macadamia said:

I get what you are saying and I'm glad it will work out for you. I have student loans and a car loan, so my budget will not support anything like that at this time. I'm very lucky with the insurance I have. I know not everyone has great insurance, especially with the ACA crap. I have a pre-existing condition and it is covered by my insurance. I'm extremely lucky that this is the case. The medicine alone for my condition is extremely expensive.

I plan to elaborate about my medical history, but I'll mention part of it here. I have Crohn's disease. I've been on medication since 1990 for it and have had three major abdominal surgeries to deal with diseased sections of my intestines. I've taken many drugs, but the only ones that seem to work (for a while, anyway) are the biologics, such as Remicade (taken for over 10 years; now I have antibodies to it), Humira (taken for just over 2years; now I have antibodies to it too), Cimzia (did not work in over a year of taking it) and now Stelara. Stelara is the second most expensive drug sold in the United States, behind Harvoni (for hepatitis C). The way Stelara is administered is the first dose is given by infusion at the doctor's office. It is given intravenously over the course of several hours. Attached is the explanation of benefits from my insurance company. Since the infusion, I have received the first self-injected dose (I give myself one shot every two months until it does not work any longer (or I lose my insurance)). I've heard these are $20,000 per shot! I'll post the explanation of benefits once it is paid by the insurance company.

Without the insurance company paying for the surgery, I would have to opt out and find another way to lose the weight.

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 12.40.26 AM.png

Notice the "Amount You Owe" column. I met my deductable and out-of-pocket for this year back in March. Everything for the rest of this year will be covered at 100%. The second image is what they pay every six months for my C-Pap supplies.

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 12.41.59 AM.png

Yeah, you're dealing with special circumstances so self-pay would not be the wisest option.

Holy moly those injections are expensive. You have really good insurance it seems. Yes, I take umbrage with the term of "Affordable" in the ACA. Our deductible went from $4,000 to $12,000 over the course of 2-3 years. We meet our family deductible early in the year because of my son's autism therapy, but still pay a lot afterward. My husband's company said we have one of the top insurance plans in the state, and yet when I got my CPAP, we still owed $700 just for the machine. When I tried to explore seeing a psychologist as part of nutritional counseling and such, we would still have to pay over $300 for each one hour session. Definitely not something I could do for the recommended 6-8 sessions.

@ Katallac Strong. look Under " General Weight Discussions" if you haven't found it already! Okay, really would 💜 having you and everyone else.