Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I’ve had mini gastric bypass 2 years ago and I’m finally pregnant. I switched from taking bariatric Multivitamins to prenatal Vitamins. I need to know if that’s ok and covers all my nutrients and minerals needs? In addition to prenatal vitamins I’m also taking 1200 mg of calcium citrate, 20mg Chelated Zinc, 5mg Folic Acid and once in a week 10,000 IU Vitamin D, I would also need to know when should I have my first prenatal visit to the Obgyn? Mine is scheduled at week 6, what do I expect of it other than ultrasound and what what type of Vitamin testing should be preformed? Anything else that I need to know.. I am a bit worried and excited

Pregnancy and lactation were both incredible life-changing experiences that I treasure. I've given birth four times to four healthy children.

Once you know you're pregnant, it's never too soon for your first prenatal visit. So much takes places during those early first weeks. Your Vitamins sound fine, but this is really something for your obstetrician to confirm. Also, and don't be shy about asking, if s/he is knowledgeable about the special malabsorption issues associated with a bypass. You may need other medication prescribed for you during your pregnancy, so s/he'd need to know, for example, that extended-release medications no longer work for you. Azithromycin, a common antibiotic, is also out post-bypass. To make sure that you, and especially your baby, are properly nourished, be vigilant and be a strong self-advocate. Forgive my patronizing tone, but you know that what you do (or don't do) from now on, can affect that fragile precious life growing inside of you. NO PRESSURE, right?:)

I should mention that I don't know the differences between a full gastric bypass and a mini-bypass, so I hesitate to say anymore ... other than GET THEE TO A BABY DOCTOR POSTHASTE!

Congratulations, I too am very happy for you. I seem to recall another poster whose doctor,had her on a bariatric and a prenatal Vitamin, at the same time ,told he4 that way you and your baby will both be healthy. Said your body intrinsically knows which Vitamins go where. 👶&👸

@Missouri-Lee’s Summit .. thank you so much.. and yes I should be my own advocate.. I have my first appointment booked 2 weeks from now and thank god I have an amazing obgyn but problem is not many doctor are familiar with mini gastric bypass since it’s relatively new.. the good news is that in the past 2 years I haven’t had any type of deficiency

You might try to find liquid prenatal Vitamins for absorption.