Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s the most interesting thing you have learned about yourself through this journey?

I never knew why I would binge eat even in childhood.After having my gastric bypass I learned what I suspected,I had ADHD.Since I’ve been taking meds for it I don’t binge eat,yes the bypass helps😂.If I had known this long ago I doubt I would have been overweight!91CEB396-883C-46E3-9C32-CEF22738A41B.thumb.jpeg.45956c3b3dd00c174d15928485f0f3fc.jpeg

Edited by George OG

My oldest daughter has ADD (no hyperactivity). We did not treat her with the conventional meds at the time. She is now a Doctor of Pharmacy... so academically she wasn't impacted. And now that she understands the pharmacology and the side effects of the meds used to treat ADHD, she's thanked us for not subjecting her to those drugs. (I'm not implying that all of the drugs used to treat ADHD are bad, but there's a big difference in treating an adult with such powerful medication vs a child. Also, it's been a while since my daughter was a young child. New drugs have been introduced, etc.)

My daughter is not a binge eater either, but the correlation between untreated ADHD and binge eating certainly makes sense.

Thank you for posting this info, George.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

@Missouri-Lee's Summit anytime!I look forward to some interesting stories 😊

ADHD oh goody the OTHER thing the neurologist told my parents in. early 1954 I couldn't have because I was a 👧 and only,boys👱get those sort of things. Now I hear that could be a causative factor. for dietary problem like binge eating, lack of diets and food controls suit.

snoyheril

Never post when you're half asleep , strange words and spellings crop up!

15 hours ago, George OG said:

I never knew why I would binge eat even in childhood.After having my gastric bypass I learned what I suspected,I had ADHD.Since I’ve been taking meds for it I don’t binge eat,yes the bypass helps😂.If I had known this long ago I doubt I would have been overweight!91CEB396-883C-46E3-9C32-CEF22738A41B.thumb.jpeg.45956c3b3dd00c174d15928485f0f3fc.jpeg

This is DEF a real thing. My doctor actually prescribes Vyvanse (adult ADHD medication) for eating addictions and people with binge eating problems.

Something I've learned about myself since WLS..

I put myself on a very strict diet after my sleeve and cut out caffeine, bread, Pasta, rice, soda, fast food and a range of other things. Unlike other WLS patients dealing with dumping syndrome and puking, I've never had a healthier gastrointestinal system in my life! Before WLS, I used to deal with stomach problems every single day of my life. I always attributed this to my gallbladder removal about 14 years ago. So what the heck was going on?

Seriously, how could I be puking less after WLS?

I started reading about gluten intolerance and celiac disease. It explains so much of what I've been through. Apparently when I was a child I was actually tested and diagnosed as gluten intolerant but Mum says I seemed to be fine, so they just carried on giving gluten to me.

I would love to have some testing done (and confirm the hazy results from my childhood), but you have to reintroduce gluten to your diet for at least 2 months to get accurate blood test results. At this stage of my weight loss journey, I'm trying to lose the last 10kg (22 pounds) so I'm not prepared to do that right now.

Realising that I'm gluten intolerant has been a total lightbulb moment for me. I used to live every day with abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhoea, vommitting, bone, joint pain, Vitamin deficiencies and a bunch of other immune, hormone and even mood related conditions. I'm feeling better than ever before! And without WLS, I wouldn't have figured it out!