Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Choosing between bypass and sleeve

I just had a follow-up appointment with my bariatric surgeon from my EGD and he said that I have the option between roux-en-Y gastric bypass, gastric sleeve, and lap band. The lap band was a no for me, so I have the option between the other two.

What is everyone’s input on each surgery and what made them pick one over the other?

Thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, nrbradley0 said:

I just had a follow-up appointment with my bariatric surgeon from my EGD and he said that I have the option between roux-en-Y gastric bypass, gastric sleeve, and lap band. The lap band was a no for me, so I have the option between the other two.

What is everyone’s input on each surgery and what made them pick one over the other?

Thanks in advance!

Personally, the Bypass is my choice. I had the band installed in 2011, long story short, I was revised to the bypass this past march. There are a decent number of folks that end up having their sleeves converted to bypass as well. The Sleeve has issues with GERD and acid reflux that the bypass doesn't have, Not sure why he even offered the band, even 2 of the largest band manufacturers have given up on it at this point. Good luck in your progress forwards!

I chose the VSG over the RNY because I already had Vitamin and mineral deficiency issues that I absolutely without a doubt knew would be exacerbated had I gone with RNY. Other than that all thing were equal for me because I had no previous history of GERD. If GERD or any other issues occur I will convert to DS or RNY. Speed or rate of loss wasn't a factor and the stats are about the same at 5-10yrs out with both surgeries. Ask your Team which they have seen the best outcomes with in their practice and why for a bit more info.

Safe Journey!

Edited by GreenTealael

I had the sleeve, lost a little bit of weight, lost restriction, gained weight back, developed GERD & then had a revision to RNY.

wish I had the bypass to begin with. I definitely need the malabsorption & restriction. I feel like there’s a lot of leeway with the sleeve in terms of foods that one can eat. But that’s my opinion and it doesn’t happen for every sleever.

Good luck in your journey

Edited by Bryn910

@nrbradley0 make the choice based off what’s best for you. I chose the sleeve like @GreenTealael for the same reasons. Read up on both I hear you lose more with the bypass but to me it’s a more serious surgery. Your surgeon didn’t give you something comparing the two. I can upload a copy of what I was given if you like.

Just some differences

D05936C8-3B6C-4CB9-BA1D-65B9C89E66CC.jpeg

Thank you for all of your input! I’m so torn. Each of them have their appeal and downside. Every time I think I have my mind made up, I end up changing it!

What are your stats now? Any heartburn problems? Goal weight?

I chose bypass for max weight loss and saw that many people end up converting from sleeve to bypass. I also had reflux and that has a tendency to go away with bypass and come about more with the sleeve

That said there are many people who are perfectly happy with the sleeve too so it’s a personal choice.

Good luck with your decision. Use the search option on this site - this has been a topic many times and you may find the other threads helpful

@elmatador I’m at 275-ish and my goal weight is 170-180. I had heartburn really bad when I was pregnant but I also found out I have a hiatal hernia that will be fixed during surgery

Remember that the sleeve can always be revised to the bypass but not the other way around. I had the sleeve 2 years ago eliminated 100lbs and think was the best decision I made.

My surgery is Tuesday the 11th,, I am still undecided, I am signed up for bypass. I initially went in for sleeve, doctor felt long term weight loss, keeping it off, the bypass would be best. He also said this procedure (bypass) was around longer then the sleeve, I have some auto immune issues. So I would like any advice there is. Thanks

I am 233lb would like to be 135-150,,

IMO, someone with pre-existing conditions of GERD and hiatal hernia should go with RNY instead of VSG. Note that the purported surgical risk differential between the two surgeries is very small.

Please note that while the sleeve can be converted to bypass...not every doctor nor insurance company is willing to do so. Especially if the reason is just for not enough weight lost or weight gain.