Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there!

I am getting ready for my surgery a week from today and feeling pretty excited. I know I am not someone who deals with change really well, so I am trying to prepare the best I can. Just curious how most of you felt right after surgery (day and week of) so I can try to anticipate what is coming. I know I can't plan everything, but trying to do what I can to help myself.

I’m day three postop and I would say my most prominent feeling is actually impatience. Not for eating real food again but for being healed and starting to live this new life I’m going to be living. I have moments of disbelief like “did I actually just do this?!?!” and sometimes I need to do some reminders for myself of why I made this choice and what I’m looking forward to, which brings me back to that feeling of impatience...

I'm following this! I'm feeling very emotional all of a sudden, 2 weeks pre-op for gastric bypass. I've been planning away but it's getting real now!

Also following

Youre going to have a huge swing of emotions! I was happy, sad, scared, nervous, excited, crying, laughing, and questioning my sanity.. and that was the first week lol Seriously though, youre going to have emotions all over the place. You'll be hurting some from incisions and gas but, the emotion thing was hardest for me. Just remember that you just traumatized your body and it's a huge shock. Go easy on yourself, be kind to yourself. Make sure you have any kind of low key hobby you can think of to keep your mind and hands occupied. Try to walk as much as you can, try to drink as much Water as you can. You'll be sleepy and feel lethargic. Its all normal. If you have a favorite blanket or pillow, keep it with you. Treat yourself kindly and the rest will fall into place. Youre embarking on a great journey with ups and downs and it's going to make you happier and healthier! Change is good this time!

@hayr995 I was all over the place for the first few weeks:
Happy that I finally had the procedure done (I was a revision from a lap band so I was happy the band was out too)
Depressed on and off over the foods that I couldn't eat that I would see on TV or smell as my family was cooking their meals. I just would take a second to remind myself of how much better life in general is going to be once I shed the extra weight.
Excited over the weight loss.
Frustrated over all the things I couldn't do.
Even had a few moments of being totally unsure of what I did, not feeling like it was the best decision. This occurred while I was on my second night still in recovery. Just felt scared and nervous and upset that I screwed up and made the wrong choice again. But, I just kept moving forwards and eventually all that went away. I still get moments here and there where I go "sigh, I'll never be able to eat that without some serious issues" usually that happens when I'm watching TV and a commercial for some new food product comes on, I just make sure that when that does happen, I remember what that food did to me, how it made me feel *after* I would eat it and how much happier and more energetic I am now.

It's normal to be scared, to have emotions that fall all over the place at the drop of a hat for no reason with these surgeries, but it's very important to just keep reminding yourself that, the journey might be hard but the reward is well worth it!

It can be quite overwhelming in the first week or two after surgery but then you learn the routine.

Be prepared for a roller coaster of emotions but it gets easier.