Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips for getting your fluid in?

Now that I’m back to work, I’m struggling to get my Fluid in. I get sidetracked or busy...

Any tips on keeping myself on track?

5 minutes ago, insta_adventurer said:

Now that I’m back to work, I’m struggling to get my Fluid in. I get sidetracked or busy...

Just keep a bottle with you at all times. It's odd at first, but after a while it's second nature. I keep a 32 oz bottle with me at all times.
So my daily goes kinda like this
8 oz of coffee with 1/2 oz or so skim milk to bind the caffeine
8 -10 oz of skim milk for my Protein shake
14-20 oz of Water after I finish my shake (whatever the size Blender Bottle i've used that day gets filled and consumed)
32 oz of water while working etc
4-20 oz of water with my Creatine
16+ oz of water with a propel powder in it while at the gym
(Sometimes another round of coffee or maybe some milk or another shake made with Casein)
32 oz of water while home and overnight while sleeping.< br />
So I'm getting about 114 oz of Fluid a day on the low end 138+ on the high end.

It takes time, but as long as you just keep trying to get more, you'll get there.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, Matt Z said:

Just keep a bottle with you at all times. It's odd at first, but after a while it's second nature. I keep a 32 oz bottle with me at all times.
So my daily goes kinda like this
8 oz of coffee with 1/2 oz or so skim milk to bind the caffeine
8 -10 oz of skim milk for my Protein shake
14-20 oz of Water after I finish my shake (whatever the size Blender Bottle i've used that day gets filled and consumed)
32 oz of Water while working etc
4-20 oz of water with my Creatine
16+ oz of water with a propel powder in it while at the gym
(Sometimes another round of coffee or maybe some milk or another shake made with Casein)
32 oz of water while home and overnight while sleeping.

So I'm getting about 114 oz of Fluid a day on the low end 138+ on the high end.

It takes time, but as long as you just keep trying to get more, you'll get there.

Do you count your coffee and skim milk as fluids?

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:12 PM, insta_adventurer said:

Haha I literally just keep a straw in my mouth except when it's 30 mins before I eat and 30mins after. I just sip constantly. I get about 60oz because I tend to forget to drink once I'm home. So I feel you.

Just now, MissLindseyR said:

Personally, I don't typically, I did in the calculations above because folks do (and have been advised to).

6 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Personally, I don't typically, I did in the calculations above because folks do (and have been advised to).

Gotcha. I'm not sure if I'm suppose to, but I do drink a large Protein Shake that I make myself with 16oz of fluids. It would be awesome to count that, I normally don't though. something to ask my dr on Monday!

Ask your doc but most allow you to count Protein Shakes and drinks. Usually they don’t allow you to count caffeinated beverages like coffee.< br />
Try all kinds of drinks...iced herbal tea, Water with sugar free flavor drops like mio, crystal light, sugar free electrolyte drinks or water enhancers like NUUN. Try all temperatures! Iced, cold, room temp, warm and hot. Add some lemon to your water. Experiment!

I couldn’t drink tap water for a long time it felt too heavy but bottled water was fine. Go figure! Just keep trying different things till you find what works

If it’s caffeinated coffee, idk I wouldn’t count that, because it dehydrates you.

Thanks for the tips! I have been trying to prioritize drinking above all else to make up for it... if I don’t get enough Protein via food- I just make it up in shakes.< br />
I know we’re not supposed to use straws, but has anyone found that they make it easier to get fluids in? I feel like little sips are easier with a straw vs no straw.

1 hour ago, insta_adventurer said:

If it’s caffeinated coffee, idk I wouldn’t count that, because it dehydrates you.

Thanks for the tips! I have been trying to prioritize drinking above all else to make up for it... if I don’t get enough Protein via food- I just make it up in shakes.

I know we’re not supposed to use straws, but has anyone found that they make it easier to get fluids in? I feel like little sips are easier with a straw vs no straw.

I'm allowed to use straws. Right after surgery they handed me a cup with a straw and I asked am I allowed to have this and the surgeon said yes. Thank goodness, I love straws

And you're in Tennessee, I looked because I wondered where they were allowing straws. Hey, isn't it true the original Maxwell House, the one the coffee is named after, located in Tennessee?

I've been considering a "smart" water bottle, as ridiculous as it seems to me. There are some on Amazon ranging from like $19.99-$69.99. I have been thinking that something like that would help me remember to stay on track/motivate me, especially if I set small reminders to pop up on my phone/on my fitbit versa to check in with where I'm at water-wise.

I DEFINITELY find it easier to get fluids in with a straw. I'm going to have to readjust on that front!

I am working in getting fluids in some days are easier than others but I am only working on one month post op so I have time. I did end up investing in a special Water bottle off Amazon called a zak hydratrak (linked to the website) it's a 20 oz bottle and has 8 bands around it that you can roll up or removed and wear as bracelets for each time you empty the bottle. I have found with keeping track of Vitamins, and pills, and times and yada yada yada that taking away having to track how many times I refilled my water bottle helps!

Also on straws. I was never told no straws in my program, so at my first movie outing post-op I got a strawberry power-ade from those coke drink stations and tried a straw with trepidation because I know everyone on here says straws are bad. And I have found I am fine drinking from a straw and actually am able to drink more through a straw.

My mom is 5 weeks ahead of me post-op and was struggling to get her fluids in and her surgeon literally told her to drink through a straw if it helps

I know the theory is you swallow air through a straw but I have actually noticed a decrease in gas pains since switching.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, MissLindseyR said:

I was told black coffee is considered fluids and if my Protein Shake is made with Water that is considered fluids. I drink about 4-5 cups of black coffee with stevia and at least one Protein shake I got at GNC made with water because I don't like milk made shakes because they are thick and when added to my protein powders, it has a weird consistency and taste. Now that I have an infuser bottle, I drink lots of water.

I was also told no straws because of the air.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:42 AM, Frustr8 said:

And you're in Tennessee, I looked because I wondered where they were allowing straws. Hey, isn't it true the original Maxwell House, the one the coffee is named after, located in Tennessee?

Yes, we have the Maxwell House, which is a hotel in North Nashville. They have a lot of conventions and high end dinners there. It's right beside on of our housing projects.