Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I’m curious for those of you a couple months or more postop. Has your partner lost some weight as you’ve changed your eating habits? Stayed the same? Has anyone’s partner GAINED weight as you’ve lost? Just curious.

How funny, my husband has GAINED weight since my surgery 7 months ago. We was never overweight so its very strange.

My husband stayed about the same in the beginning, but over the past several months has gained. Not excessively, he's still within the range he has always been. He goes through phases where he works out a lot and drinks body building supplements and Protein Shakes, and he gets very muscular and gets down to a very low body fat, but that's hard to maintain with his job right now. Recently I think he's been eating a lot of fast food, and then of course if we go out to eat, he's eating his own plate and then often eats the rest of mine if I'm not taking it in a to go box, lol.

That’s what I’m afraid of. My husband already has a Portion Control issue and I’m afraid he’ll end up eating more because I’m eating less - that he’ll be cleaning my plate for me.

Exercising more, but not really changing his eating habits. I don’t think he realizes how important the food aspect is

My husband is the same and hasn't seem willing to change his habits.

4 hours ago, KCgirl061 said:

So I’m curious for those of you a couple months or more postop. Has your partner lost some weight as you’ve changed your eating habits? Stayed the same? Has anyone’s partner GAINED weight as you’ve lost? Just curious.

My wife has dropped 25-30 lbs herself as well... AND she's toning up something fierce! She makes me jealous of her muscles, I know that they are smaller and less powerful than mine are, and she tells me that... but her body fat is so much lower than mine that her muscle mass is much more visible... I'm jealous yes, but also super proud of her!

7 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

My wife has dropped 25-30 lbs herself as well... AND she's toning up something fierce! She makes me jealous of her muscles, I know that they are smaller and less powerful than mine are, and she tells me that... but her body fat is so much lower than mine that her muscle mass is much more visible... I'm jealous yes, but also super proud of her!

That's great! Good for her! I'll need to get my husband working out with me

My wife is thin. She gained from the kids but got back into shape about 5 years after our last, he's 15 now. Plus she found out about 2 years ago that she has hyperthyroidism. So now she's even thinner. She eats really healthy so doubt she will gain any extra pounds.

We looked like a 10 when we stood next to each other. :D

Edited by J San

Well my late husband was, until shortly before his death , 3 inches taller and outweighed me by 30-50 pounds. So he was BIG, did he believe it? Nope, he never missed a chance to ridicule my appearance size and family members. To his credit never to anyone outside ,especially his friends. To his detriment, in front of our children , to this day, R.D. refers to me as a fat cow because that was what Daddy Dear said . Truly sadder yet, she inherited D.D.'s heavy bone structure, so she is wider across the rump than me but she tells all her buddy-buddies on Facebook she is a Size 14. RD stands for Rotten Daughter, and she earned it, bad enough she treats me abysmally but she misses few chances to be mean to Tomkitten, mainly because he lives with and sticks up for me. And I do still love her, she was my first born my baby 👧 but I don't like her, and her actions. Tried to tell her I was planning surgery, she turned the conversation back to her favorite subject, her! I finally got a word in. edgewise to ask her "did you hear,me say oh was going to have major surgery? Her answer "Whatever" I keep waiting for her to reach the age of reason,at 49 it just isn't going to happen. Sad isn't it?

On 08/01/2018 at 18:58, Frustr8 said:

Well my late husband was, until shortly before his death , 3 inches taller and outweighed me by 30-50 pounds. So he was BIG, did he believe it? Nope, he never missed a chance to ridicule my appearance size and family members. To his credit never to anyone outside ,especially his friends. To his detriment, in front of our children , to this day, R.D. refers to me as a fat cow because that was what Daddy Dear said . Truly sadder yet, she inherited D.D.'s heavy bone structure, so she is wider across the rump than me but she tells all her buddy-buddies on Facebook she is a Size 14. RD stands for Rotten Daughter, and she earned it, bad enough she treats me abysmally but she misses few chances to be mean to Tomkitten, mainly because he lives with and sticks up for me. And I do still love her, she was my first born my baby 👧 but I don't like her, and her actions. Tried to tell her I was planning surgery, she turned the conversation back to her favorite subject, her! I finally got a word in. edgewise to ask her "did you hear,me say oh was going to have major surgery? Her answer "Whatever" I keep waiting for her to reach the age of reason,at 49 it just isn't going to happen. Sad isn't it?
Super sad to hear this. As someone who has lost both a parent and a sibling, I always hate to see people take their loved ones for granted or abuse them. Family should lift each other up- not put each other down.

My husband has always been skinny—like really skinny—except when he was in college and had no car and biked everywhere and then he was really muscular. My kids take after him (thank goodness) and my fifteen year old is 6’3” and weighs maybe 165 soaking wet... and drops into the 150’s when he’s missed going to the gym for a few weeks.

My husband is fairly skinny. He eats better now as a result of me cooking and shopping better, but still indulges in his junk food. Even though he doesn't need to lose weight, he's commented about how he hates to eat in front of me because it makes him feel like a "pig" (his words not mine). I've found that he doesn't get up for seconds at dinner time, rather he warms up those seconds after I go to bed. It's like he is ashamed or something. I've tried to reassure him, but I know it will take time for him to adjust, just like it has taken time for me.

Mine is average with a little extra I’d say. He has been having to fend for himself and has been eating a lot of Pasta and tacos since I had surgery. He doesn’t gain weight too quickly and he seems to be able to shed it more quickly than me (well, at least more quickly than I did pre-surgery).

I’m hoping as I progress through the stages, he can adopt some of the healthier habits that I’ll have so we can both be healthier. :)

DH gained 5-10 lbs my first few months post op. Recently he’s lost 15ish. He’s learning to control his portions and he’s eating the healthier foods I’ve been cooking.