Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started mushy early.. anyone else?? And how did it go?

Started mushy early... Anyone else? And how did it go. I was getting so sick not getting enough so I started mushy 2nd day into second week.. so far so good able to do 2 bites and done but more during the day.. sticking to healthy mushy too 🤗. I was waking up with everything cramping like dehydrated in the morning before this.. dehydrated through out the night it was crazy!!

Be careful with advancing to further stages faster than recommended. The Doctors have it this way for a reason. Your new stomach needs time to heal. I would try and stick to plan as much as possible.

1 hour ago, MG1776 said:

Be careful with advancing to further stages faster than recommended. The Doctors have it this way for a reason. Your new stomach needs time to heal. I would try and stick to plan as much as possible.

Agree!! Be careful what you eat and don't over do it. I know there are programs that have patients starting mushy foods almost right away but take it slow. I'm half way through mushy foods now at 19 days out and it stresses no lumps. Good luck, hope it works out great for you.

On my plan we were allowed full liquids which included Protein Shakes and creamed Soups the day after surgery. At 14 days post op we are allowed to start soft foods (my program does not do a puréed stage) which includes tuna/chicken/egg salad, refried Beans, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, string cheeses, and Greek yogurt. There are a lot of differences in each program. Just wanted to share what and when my plan allows food. And in my opinion it’s fairly early compared to others. My advice would be to definitely take it slow, take small bites, and pause after you swallow. I think probably the best things you could “cheat” with would be like creamed soups and thinned out Greek yogurt. Just my opinion.

Thank y'all for all the advice I went back to soups.. got chicken bouillon and helped so much!! Also helped with dehydration. If I felt myself really weak I still threw in some hummus. But rarely.. today feeling like a million bucks and back to work! Thank y'all again for the great advice ❤️

My surgeon allowed me to start eating soft food 5 days after surgery. I was able to eat everything just fine. Just try one food at a time.

I spoke to my doctor over the phone and she approved for me to start with some soft foods 8 days post of. She suggested eggs. She told me that everyone is different and that right now, if it would go through a funnel then I would be able to eat it. I ate the whole scrambled egg with cottage cheese mixed in. I think our "funnel diet" is more of like a pureed diet but all I've had is shakes and a little bit of creamed cauliflower cheddar Soup.

I started eating cottage cheese a week out very carefully. I just wanted something real:) Two weeks out now and looking forward to more variety next week:)

I have had some Soups as well, as the sweetness of all of the shakes has become gagging to me. I have a post-op check tomorrow, mostly for the incision sites, and will find out if I can talk to the RD. Broths help, but like samie, I cannot seem to get down enough of the shakes each day to stop the weak feeling. Thankfully I am not dehydrated, as my urine color will testify, but think down the road I will swear off my SF drink from being so sick of it. Head hunger. I understand now. My stomach is full from a meal, but I keep thinking of "real food". Sigh.