Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So just checking one more time to make sure there are no other gastric bypass reversals recently done.

My appointment with my surgeon and bariatric Dr. "one in the same" is next Tuesday so I was wanting more information for he and I to discuss if needed.

Gastric bypass is irreversible. But it works like gangbusters. I am down 72 pounds and losing.

And I'm looking forward to mine on September 5th, maybe I'll have as good a results as @ Mattymatt, maybe not, I won't be sad because it beats hollow the way I have been , tired and obese and in pain. If I can achieve betterment of 2 of 3 that will be nice and 3 out of 3 would be wonderful. The journey has been mine, the victory,will,be also. And if I can befriend a few people, make their journeys better, I will be absolutely thrilled. Many,have helped me on here, now I move forward to help others!😝🌈😝

25 minutes ago, Mattymatt said:

Gastric bypass is irreversible. But it works like gangbusters. I am down 72 pounds and losing.

It is best to consider it to be irreversible as one typically needs some form of WLS to get or keep the weight off, so revisions are the norm in that case, but in the rare cases where something is drastically wrong as I believe is the case with the OP, it can certainly be put back to semi-normal again. When the bypass is revised to a DS, that is the first step before the reunited stomach is sleeved and the intestines are reconfigured.

"Bariatric Surgery Reversibility: What You Need to Know"

https://obesitynewstoday.com/bariatric-surgery-reversibility/

"Gastric Bypass surgery is considered a permanent operation but can be reversed for medical problems only. The risks of a reversal are extremely high." -- Shawn Garber, M.D.

Can Bariatric Surgery Be Reversed? Yes—but should it be?
"Yes, but it's dangerous and impractical to do so. Neither procedure ends with the removal of any parts from the body, so they can both be undone, at least in theory. But going back to reoperate on tissue that's already been subjected to surgery increases the risks of bleeding and damage to the structures being repaired. (That's over and above the dangers associated with any surgery—like blood clots, infection, and injury to adjacent organs.) Scar tissue from previous work makes it harder for surgeons to see and access the normal tissue. Getting suture lines or staple lines to heal properly after a repeat operation is a challenge as well.

There are some more specific reasons why it's not a good idea to reverse a bariatric surgery. A patient who undergoes a gastric bypass may never be able to regain a fully functional digestive tract. In the original operation, doctors divide the stomach and cordon off most of its volume with staples or a plastic band; they also reroute the stomach, connecting it to the middle of the small intestine so that fewer calories can be absorbed. To reverse all this later, surgeons must divide the stomach and intestine where they had been sewn together and then rejoin them in the original spot with a surgical stapling device. But the restored configuration won't be exactly the same as it was before the bypass. For one thing, it's impossible to mend several nerves that help with normal gastric function. As a result of these permanent changes, a patient who chooses to undo his bypass may experience post-op gastroesophageal reflux disease."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2010/02/can_bariatric_surgery_be_reversed.html

Is Gastric Bypass Surgery Reversible?

http://gastricbypass.surgery/gastric-bypass-surgery-reversible/

Someone who had a reversal done in 2015:

"I had a laparoscopic gastric bypass in 2005. I did my research and was satisfied with everything but one issue that always nagged at me. There were little long-term studies of over 7 years post surgery at that time.

The surgery itself was a success....there were no complications and I went from 230 to about 140lbs. I also developed chronic amenia.

Six years ago I began to get a very strange headache and had so much pressure on my optic nerves that my eye doctor sent me to a neurologist. My sight was failing at that point too. A contrasting MRI showed there was no tumor on the brain or optic nerves and that it was a "phantom tumor"-- cranial hypertension which is quite rare. The doctor performed a spinal tap to relieve the pressure, put me on medication and monitored me for a few years. It went away and I forgot about it for a few years.

On Jan 21, 2015, I had chest/stomach pain that I knew I could no longer self-medicate. I was slowly getting sick for months prior to this but made every excuse...peri-menopausal....being run down...etc.

I was admitted to the ER that night with a strangled colon and sepsis due to intestinal twisting. The surgeon opened me....my vitals became too unstable and he decided to resume the surgery in the morning if I lived through the night. He was able to complete the resection the next day. He removed 1/3 of my colon and 72 inches of intestines along with my appendix.

I was in a medically induced coma for nearly a week. Moved to a rehab facility for physical and occupational therapy. I was finally able to go home on February 25, 2015.

This is when I began to really fail instead of recover. I now had short bowel syndrome. Another extremely rare condition. Nutrients and fats were not being absorbed from the foods I ate, my hemoglobin reached a critical level twice (3 and 4.7) requiring approximately 14 bags of blood for transfusion.

I was losing weight rapidly...size 12 at Christmas to a 4 currently. Most of my hair has fallen out and I'm as weak and frail as a colt.

I researched Short Bowel Syndrome (SBS) and joined NORD, National Organization of Rare Disorders. I also found a closed SBS group on Facebook that connected me with 2 of the most amazing women I've ever met. Both living seven years with SBS.

Living with SBS is a living hell. There isn't enough bowel to properly hold food in for absorption and I averaged about 26 explosive diarrheas daily. As soon as I took a bite or a sip of something the churning would start. It was loud and painful. Imagine the worst gas pain and diarrhea you've ever had and then imagine it 24/7. I only left the house for doctor appts. I had no energy and there was always the possibility of a public explosion.

I was slowly dying.....wasting away.

I had my gastric bypass reversal on August 7, 2015. I was lucky to have a good amount of viable intestines left that the surgeon used to repair the damaged portion.

I was told that the surgery was a complete success. I no longer feel the weakness of being malnourished, my mind is clear which means the bacterial overgrowth is gone, food is staying in much longer and bowel movements are down to about 4-6 a day.

I go back to the doctor on Wednesday, August 26 to get the staples out and for some labwork.

Three interesting things that I recently learned:

1) The scar tissue from my gastric bypass caused the twisting

2) Cranial Hypertension and Short Bowel Syndrome, both very rare, are getting more notice because most of the patients with recent diagnoses have had a gastric bypass years ago....8-10 years is the average for "us patients".

3) Most people don't survive the kind of trauma that I suffered in January. There aren't many advocates speaking up about these very serious complications resulting from gastric bypass surgery."

https://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/107174-my-gastric-bypass-emergency-resection-and-reversal/

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

Thank you for all your help and comments. I have already had the gastric bypass surgery and am 1 year and 4 month out. The medical situation is such that ulcers even with marked treatment are eating away my stomach something I never had post surgery.

I am basically malnourished and cannot keep many foods in and pain from stomach is often unbearable. I have already underwent one surgery for scar tissue removal and yet another for a bowel resection. I was only supposed to lose 163 pounds and am now down 190 and still losing. It takes great effort on my part to try and find something that will stay down and have Protein in it to get me to my allotted amount.

I am living on 2 different ulcer medications and have had 3 EGD's months apart and each time get bad news as they are multiplying even while taking the top medications.

My Doctor is one of the foremost leading experts in the industry and he is the one that has brought up the reversal and says they can be done quite easily but feels I will gain my weight back. I am so unconcerned about that at this time and just want to feel alive and healthy again as it has been a struggle since month 2 with the health issues. Multiple Stomach scans, chest x-rays, lab work on the note my veins are so shot from all the IV's from the potassium infusions that I have had to take.

There simply comes a time when you are done and have to think of your long term health. Thanks again for your comments.

Crying💦 And wish I could reach and hug you. So SORRY for what has happened to YOU.

Wow I just went back and read your whole story. I hope the reversal gives you your life back! Keep us posted.

Thanks to you both. I will let all know how it goes. I am waiting for my appointment next week and we will see if the insurance will pay for it. My surgeon says there is more then enough history and issue they should pay for it with out appeals.

At the end of the day I think your post illustrates the best in a bariatric patient. The intense thought process considering all of the possible complications for getting, revising, or removal of the surgery. Going into this blind after watching a few "My 600# life" shows is about the worst thing one can do (And yes, I watch the show myself). It sounds to me that your mind is in the right place - considering what is going to improve your life the most, and yet doing lots of research on it. I applaud you for your research and I am very sorry for what seems like an awful number of years.

I'm only 3 weeks out from my revision from a band to a RNY, but there were a number of reasons I went with a RNY over the sleeve. One of which is the possibility to do a reversal. Yes, it is not without complications, and no, it is not a complete reversal, but yes, it is still possible. With the sleeve? not so much.

I would imagine that something as complex as a reversal would be quite variable between patients - what reason for each reversal is probably drastically different. So while I do think it is really good to see how outcomes were, I would postulate that your surgeon is probably going to be the best to trust. I was told that my surgeon was very "conservative" when it came to revisions. I was told he would go in and remove the band, and if things were really bad from scarring, he would not do the revision, and instead allow me to heal for 3 months before coming in and doing the revision. Maybe have a frank talk with your surgeon and make the same request. Maybe when he goes in, there is an obvious problem that can be fixed without actually reversing the procedure?

Just throwing out another idea, if there is someone in your life that you trust your life with, consider filling out a medical power of attorney, and have a long conversation with them about your desires. Then, if doing the surgery the doctor would have a person to turn to and present both options...Your medical power of attorney, knowing your intents, could make the decision instead of a doctor who has spent an insignificant amount of time with you determining your interests. For my revision surgery, I did the above with a family member, so I'm not recommending something I didn't do myself.

I will be praying for you and I wish you the best outcome, no matter what needs to be done to improve it!

Why does your doctor assume that you will gain back all of your weight after a reversal? After all that you've been through and endured, I have a hard time believing that you'll ever think of food as "comfort" again. Don't let those thoughts dissuade you in any way. Get your health back and the rest will follow.

I wish I could have been more helpful initially. I think I misread and misunderstood where you were in the process. Perhaps the information will be of use to someone. (Always looking for the positive).:)

Thank you both very much. I appreciate the idea about the medical power of attorney. I actually do have one, My husband of 31 years is my POA and I also have a Durable power of attorney that state my wishes regarding blood and blood transfusions. Through research I have found it is not a very bloody procedure. I strongly believe in the power of prayer and welcome any and all.

It is a terrifying decision to reach having had things go so awry with the bypass but at this time I feel like it is the best solution especially if my surgeon feels it will pout me back on the right track.

I am pleased that the surgery was a useful tool to get the weight off even though it did not come off in the normal way. I am hopeful that I will not gain it all back and feel strongly that I will gain some back but having exceeded my goal by almost 30 pounds it will not bother me to gain a little back.

20180731_143217.jpg

002.JPG

Full page pMOMhoto.jpg

Pleased keep us posted.I believe you can keep the weight from coming back!

How are YOU doing @Ronnysgal?