Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non-sweet pre-made protein shake options

Hi Everyone,

This is my first posting here. Just had my sleeve on July 24. I've been told to supplement my diet with Protein Shakes, but I've tried a number of my surgeon-approved ones and they are soooooo sweet. So sweet, in fact, that they make me gag. I drink other liquids, like broth, just fine, so this is purely a preference issue (and a hold-over from pre-surgery days). Does anyone know of any pre-made 20g+ Protein shakes that are less sweet? I've currently tried every flavor option of Premier Protein, and it's getting expensive to buy packs of them only to end up wasting them.

Its not premade, but Unjury chicken Soup flavored Protein Powder seems to be very well liked and one of the few savory ones ive seen. I believe it has to be purchased from their website.

@Anthropose...have you tried unflavored Protein powder to add to your broth or a flavored WATER....smoothie wise, they all seem to have that "sweet" taste you are trying to steer clear of. I'm 6 days post op so I really can't think of anything else at the moment...

I was in the exact same boat everything is just too sweet! The thing that is saving me is the Unjury chicken Soup and unflavored Protein powders. The chicken soup one is very yummy and I put the unflavored into other broths when I want to mix it up. They sell sample packs for cheap so if you just want to try them it's easy to do. I would also suggest the vanilla from them, I find it less sweet as well. Good luck!!

You should be able to get some unflavoured/unsweetened whey Protein isolate powders if you want to make yourself a shake and can then include your preferred amount of stevia or similar.

I never liked milky shakes either. I have a Gelatin derived "peptipro collagen hydrolysate" protein supplement to add 14.5g protein to my morning Decaf coffee. My mum now uses this supplement in her daily bowl of Soup (it dissolves well in hot liquids as well as cold, without any gritty texture)

I also use an unflavoured clear protein Water powder (derived from whey protein isolate) to make nice not-too-sweet clear protein waters with brewed (then chilled) fruit tea. My favourite is red seal brand "peach and pineapple" and I add a little stevia powder to add slight sweetness.

It isn't a savory option, but maybe mix 1/2 of a shake with Fairlife milk (high protein) to take down some of the artificial sweetener taste?

On 7/30/2018 at 3:46 PM, Anthropose said:

Hi Everyone,

This is my first posting here. Just had my sleeve on July 24. I've been told to supplement my diet with Protein Shakes, but I've tried a number of my surgeon-approved ones and they are soooooo sweet. So sweet, in fact, that they make me gag. I drink other liquids, like broth, just fine, so this is purely a preference issue (and a hold-over from pre-surgery days). Does anyone know of any pre-made 20g+ Protein shakes that are less sweet? I've currently tried every flavor option of Premier Protein, and it's getting expensive to buy packs of them only to end up wasting them.

I had the same problem. The only way I could drink and can still drink the Protein Shake is to mix it with Decaf coffee. Another alternative my doctor suggested was unflavored Protein - by GENEPRO 30g per scoop- it truly is flavorless and can be mixed in liquids even Soups and can even be added in things like scrambled eggs to increase the protein.

14 hours ago, KJan said:

I had the same problem. The only way I could drink and can still drink the Protein Shake is to mix it with Decaf coffee. Another alternative my doctor suggested was unflavored Protein - by GENEPRO 30g per scoop- it truly is flavorless and can be mixed in liquids even Soups and can even be added in things like scrambled eggs to increase the Protein.

Hey Kjan, I tried the GENEPRO, and it's working well. I mixed it into some diluted, sugar-free crystal lite, and I can't taste anything. I figured the amount of sucralose in my diluted crystal lite is unlikely to be greater than the amounts found in those sweet shakes. I'm also about to order some samplers from Unjury, as recommended by others. Did you have any problems with the protein powder becoming de-natured in your hot coffee?

1 hour ago, Anthropose said:

Hey Kjan, I tried the GENEPRO, and it's working well. I mixed it into some diluted, sugar-free crystal lite, and I can't taste anything. I figured the amount of sucralose in my diluted crystal lite is unlikely to be greater than the amounts found in those sweet shakes. I'm also about to order some samplers from Unjury, as recommended by others. Did you have any problems with the Protein Powder becoming de-natured in your hot coffee?

I have no personal experience with GENEPRO, but.... I have seen articles and peoples comments on here. They are or were going through a lawsuit because there is supposedly only 10 grams of Protein instead of the 30 as advertised. Im not saying its not a quality product, just don't want you to short yourself as far as the protein u think u are getting. If it mixes clear and flavorless I would use it but maybe only count it as 10 just incase. My opinion only!

I was having the same problem and my NUT suggested adding a cup of Fairlife milk (13 grams protein) to the Premier Protein shakes to cut the sweetness. I think it helped a lot, and I split the combined drink into two servings.

1 hour ago, Chrisb428 said:

I have no personal experience with GENEPRO, but.... I have seen articles and peoples comments on here. They are or were going through a lawsuit because there is supposedly only 10 grams of Protein instead of the 30 as advertised. Im not saying its not a quality product, just don't want you to short yourself as far as the Protein u think u are getting. If it mixes clear and flavorless I would use it but maybe only count it as 10 just incase. My opinion only!

Wow! I had no idea. Just googled more info about it; definitely sounds suspicious. Thanks for the alert. Do you know of any other unflavored ones that are legitimate?

Ive heard GENEPRO is the best as far as taste (or lack of I should say) Also, the Unjury ive heard good things about. I am still pre op until August 28th so I havent experimented much with any since they say tastes change post op.

I think Wal-Mart has a brand call3d Body Fortress that doesn't sound bad. I have a coupon so I might be buying some myself.