Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trainer, Class or Gym in NYC or Good Video Recs?

Can anyone recommend a trainer in the NYC area that is experienced with working with very obese bariatric patients? I want someone who is not fat phobic, and is comfortable around me, someone who is not judgemental and understands that I have to take it one step at a time because I am so fat and out of shape. I have an elliptical at home and I can only do 12 minutes on it, and I'm ashamed to say that I had to work up to that. When I started I could only do three minutes. Three. My surgeon wants me to start weight training as soon as I am cleared to do so after surgery but I feel like I need a few sessions with a trainer so I can learn to do it safely. I haven't worked out in twenty years. I'm embarrassed to say that, but it is what it is. Things have changed and I don't even know if I could figure out the newer equipment without guidance. Any advice? Thank you.

Hi there.

I was in a similar place as you. I am 51, 5'8" and was 335 (highest weight) at the time of surgery. I had said I would start working out at 280 and was uneducated, unsure, anxious and frankly frightened.

There is a small boutique fitness studio about a block from me and I called them up (mostly because I figured the best exercise program is the one I would do and proximity was a big plus given I also live in NYC and work a hectic schedule).

I recommend that you do what I did - I laid it all out - weight, age, surgery, history with exercise/sports, co-morbidities, etc. I got lucky here - the couple who owns the studio is really extraordinary and if you want more information PM me and I will be happy to provide it.

Any really good trainer will assess where you currently are and they will work with you from WHERE YOU ARE. And I think it's a smart move if you are older/obese/very inactive to invest in a trainer with good credentials and educated. In addition, you should educate yourself. Read a lot, learn about different exercise modalities and what they accomplish, etc. Building strength should be a key concern. There is a bunch of bullshit in peoples' understanding of what happens at the gym and the more you educate yourself the more you will be able to work with your trainer on establish goals because you will know what's possible for you.

The good news is that you will see improvements very quickly and gains very quickly. A good trainer will break you in without breaking you down.

While seeing a trainer was an investment, I have gotten very educated and work appropriately within my body's limits (mild arthritis in both knees and a chronic case of Achilles tendonitis). I am stronger and fitter than I was in high school (and I played sports in high school). I work out 4x a week mostly focused on barbell/dumbbell work, isometric and body weight exercises and CV/Resp conditioning. Virtually everything I do is low impact due to Achilles issue.

I will say without hesitation that hiring a trainer to get me where I am now is a miracle. I now see him 1x a week and manage my own workouts. A lot of times I have review the routines I am planning. I pretty much have a solid repertoire of 2M warm up on the rowing machine, various circuits of bodyweight exercises (with a focus on core strength) and a standard lifting program of deadlifts, power cleans, presses, squats, etc.

Edited by Kat410
posted before finishing

Thank you for the advice, Kat, that really helps!