Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

AUGUST 6 GASTRIC SLEEVE SURGERY

Who else is having surgery August 6 and wants to chat day by day about the struggles? We are one week away!!! NERVOUS! EXCITED! MISSING MY FAV FOODS. Ugh. So many emotions.

Comment if you’re an August 6 Gastric Sleeve patient ☺️

I'm August 6th, sleeve to bypass revision too.

@beautifulmess @atlantared hey! May I ask why a “revision”? I wish I saw this yesterday when I was at my surgeons for an appt, I asked him why sleeve was a better option. He didn’t say specifically that sleeve is better he said that it’s safer. But now seeing that you are both having revisions. What would be the reason for a revision?

This is what I posted on another post:

I got my sleeve in December 2013 at 315 lbs. Pretty strict for about 10 months. Next holidays, added some goodies and seemed to be able to maintain (had gotten to 210). Never got below that despite being active, not snacking, drinking only Water, not drinking with meals, and eating appropriate portions. For my system, just eating less and exercising isn't enough. I'm at 250 now, less active due to work and caring for my mom who can't be left alone. Surgeon said even if I went back to super strict on the eating, I would lose some but he wants me comfortably below 200 and said I would need the bypass to have hope of getting there and staying there. Eating less and exercising didn't work before the sleeve, maybe I should have considered that having the sleeve wouldn't be much different for me. Hopefully having the added component of malabsorption plus the knowledge that I need to maintain a decently strict lifelong meal plan, will be what works for me.

On 08/01/2018 at 11:36, AtlantaRed said:

This is what I posted on another post:

I got my sleeve in December 2013 at 315 lbs. Pretty strict for about 10 months. Next holidays, added some goodies and seemed to be able to maintain (had gotten to 210). Never got below that despite being active, not snacking, drinking only Water, not drinking with meals, and eating appropriate portions. For my system, just eating less and exercising isn't enough. I'm at 250 now, less active due to work and caring for my mom who can't be left alone. Surgeon said even if I went back to super strict on the eating, I would lose some but he wants me comfortably below 200 and said I would need the bypass to have hope of getting there and staying there. Eating less and exercising didn't work before the sleeve, maybe I should have considered that having the sleeve wouldn't be much different for me. Hopefully having the added component of malabsorption plus the knowledge that I need to maintain a decently strict lifelong meal plan, will be what works for me.

Thanks for sharing! I feel the same way about eating right and exercising. It feels as though I don’t lose a lot of weight even when I am eating and exercising right. Even Day 10 on the liquid diet, I only lost 10 lbs. I feel like people lose way more than that!!!!

Good luck on your revision! I hope you get to your goal weight.

Wondering how you ladies are doing with your revision? Scheduled for a Revision Sleeve to RNY on Aug 22nd. Super nervous. I regained the weight I lost form my sleeve. Endoscopy revealed that my sleeve was cut too big and in the wrong shape (hour glass), so I have a Stricture, Haital Hernia, GERD etc. I'm glad I have answers now. That plus regain makes me a prime candidate for revision to RNY. I have so many questions. I've had the Band, Sleeve and now going in again...gosh, even though I know my surgery was not done right, it's so hard not to feel like a failure and worry that the RNY will not work for me. Not much out there on such revisions. And some doctors were saying at most you will loose 10 - 25lbs revising from Sleeve to Bypass. WOA? Anyhow, could really really REALLY use a buddy in the same boat right about now...

Hi Ellie! I had my surgery on Monday. Stayed in the hospital until Wednesday. I can honestly say, that you can eat more with the bypass than the sleeve. When I had my sleeve, I could barely tolerate 2 ounces. Now I can do 4 oz of cream of chicken Soup or an entire Protein Shake with no problems. The pain has been worse for me with the bypass, to the point if I am no better tomorrow, I am going to the ER.

Hi Ellie,

Mine was Monday as well. I've been drinking just fine since I got home (released next day). I drink 2 chocolate Premier Protein drinks, 1 clear premier Protein, and half a cup of broth or strained cream of broccoli Soup.

My pain is better than with the sleeve. I had gained 50 pounds back, had GERD. This time I had a hiatal hernia and he fixed a diaphragmatic hernia. I had my pain in my chest but my incisions and stomach have not hurt.

I had taken 4 doses of Miralax and still hadn't pooped. Today I took milk of magnesia, half dose, and just finally went. I didn't feel constipated but figured I needed to get things moving. I've lost 6 pounds since the morning of surgery. I did not have a preop diet.

wow! @beautifulmess so sorry you are having such a rough time! You poor dear! Indeed after the Sleeve, I could barely sip on ANYTHING and wounded up going back into the hospital for dehydration. Oh boy...how is this even possible to have so much so soon. I've been told I need to be on Clear Liquids for 3 weeks...woa? 3 weeks...oh dear....Do you experience any hunger? Please do keep us updated. Prayers your way that your belly settles down and you regain your strength and good mood and start to see results!

Thank you so much for the updated @AtlantaRed and congratulations on your first 6 of what will hopefully be many many more pounds! So excited the surgery is behind both you and @beautifulmess I can't wait to join you both on the other side.

I know using the restroom post op helps a lot so glad your functions are returning to their new normal. Wow that is certainly more food than my doc is saying I can have. Only clear liquids for 3 weeks....hmmmm Do you feel like your hunger levels are lower? It's impressive and perplexing you are able to tolerate so much so soon. But impressive in a good was as like I mentioned post sleeve I got dehydrated from not being able to drink.

Please do keep us posted.

Love and hugs

I was told it just meant I didn't have much swelling. I was able to drink well after both surgeries. My postop diet plan is clears in hospital, full liquids the rest of the first week, puree for week 2, soft weeks 3 and 4, full diet week 5 and on. I can take 2 swallows at a time. If I take 3, it hurts. It takes about 30 minutes to finish as shake. I have some hunger; however, I do feel like if I actually took a bite of solid food, that would be all I could do.

Gosh, that actually sounds like a pretty reasonable progression to solids @AtlantaRed Hoping it's just head hunger you have an not actually physical hunger so early in the process.