Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your Feet & Shoe Size ?

I'm going to have surgery in September, I could use a new pair of shoes before long. My question is, has anyone's feet gotten smaller after weight loss? I wear size 11 1/2 now, just wondering if I will need a smaller size after weight loss.

Yes. You should hold off as long as you can or pick up an inexpensive pair. I've replaced everything I wear (except my socks) 4 times. My shoe size was 9 wide and now I wear a reg. 9.5 Others will tell you that you size will change too. Good luck and congratulations.

Your feet may very well change in size. As a person working on their feet 12 hours a day, comfortable feet and shoes are important to me. I wouldn’t wait months and months to buy a new pair of shoes. If you are three months out from surgery it could be 9-10 months before you see a need for a change in shoe size.

Not sure what type of shoes you need that are too expensive to put off buying for that long.

My shoe size didn't change and why should it? My feet are still the same length they were before surgery.

I can see though that the size may change when it comes to certain shoe designs, e. g. narrower cuts etc.

But when you have a lot of weight bearing down on your "tootsies" the bones in your feet splay out, your ligaments and tendons try to hold everything in line together but eventually they scream ( about the time your👣 feet start hurting badly) No Mas! And give up the struggle!👣

I’m 2 1/2 years out. I wore size 12 before the surgery and now I comfortably wear a 10.5. My feet were swollen and hurt a lot before the weight loss and now they look and feel normal.

Aggietop

My feet have lost the swelling. Length hasn't changed but kicks fit better, don't look so stretched out.

Oh,BTW thanks to all the "GUYS" that responded to your post......:blink:;-)

I was a size 12 pre-op and now down to a 10.5-11...yes, even your feet will lose fat.

Can’t tell you why @summerset but mine did! I went from a 9.5 to an 8.5

Perhaps all the weight pushing down on them made them spread in width and length both? Not sure!

I also lost at least half a inch in height. My doc said both are common. Maybe I lost weight from the bottoms of my feet?

My shoe size changed in terms of width.

Fascinating. My feet and ankles appear a lot thinner/narrower just from the pre-op diet. I'm now 4 days post. If I can stop wearing a wide shoe the style options will open way up. Super excited about that. Thanks for the info.

I’m just 6 months post op and I went from a size 11 Wide to a 10 regular. It’s good that I’m not restricted to the Wide sizes as there’s a bigger variety of shoes I can now choose from.

I have a a pair of shoes that used to be too small (they would pinch at the toes’ joints with the feet when I took a step) and now they fit great. BOY, was I surprised, I said “MAN, it’s nice to have an extra pair of shoes to wear when I go outside to get the MALE.”

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Featured Surgeons

1. Masoud Rezvani

Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

2. Lisa Medvetz

Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

• Most popular:

• Recent Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• christa_reid

Hi I  am new here and I am going to have the gastric sleeve next month. I have to pay out of pocket so it is going quite quickly. The longer I wait the more bad stories I hear. I weigh 315 and 61 years old so I have a lot to lose. Any advice is welcome
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ProudGrammy

Georgia on my mind - off to grand-daughters high school graduation - she's smart and cute as a button, just like her grammy,☺️
      kathy
      · 2 replies
      1. SusieQ2019

Congratulations to her Proud Granny, and wishing her a bright and successful future.

2. Orchids&Dragons

Congrats to your granddaughter! Have a wonderful trip!

• *Meaghan*

Went to my initial consult with the Bariatric surgeon/ program I chose. Came home with a folder full of information & helpful organization of all the testing that needs to be completed while I complete the required nutritional counseling. She also let me know my insurance typically takes 6 weeks to reply with authorization when submitted, so that puts my potential surgery date near the new year if all stays on track  I felt comfortable with her, in our discussions she agrees that I am a good candidate for the Gastric Bypass. I appreciated the 'introduction' class that was given after the consult with the surgeon where I was given this binder of every referral (from her, not my pcp referrals), & contact information for all the testing needed to make my contacts/calls tomorrow morning even easier I start my nutrition classes on June 5th, so that's when the clock will start toward insurance approval & getting the tool to help me reach my goals
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Torie Faye

I had my Bypass Surgery on 04/25/2019 I'd weighted before surgery 308 and now 285. I get depressed because I thought it would be more. I follow all instructions from Dr.. Green walk every day work out and eating solid foods 
      · 1 reply
      1. ProudGrammy

welcome welcome - 23 lbs pre/post op is great. you are doing fine. keep up the good work. kathy

• MrsGamgee

Day 5 post-op... didn't sleep great last night, lots of gas pain and it was my first night without using the rx pain meds. I'm tired and feeling rather stupid. My nurse is supposed to call today for a check in, so I'm debating taking a nap now and risk missing her call, or forcing myself to stay awake and pray she calls soon. Also, showering should be considered a workout... just doing the basics used up all my energy. Weight is slowly working its way down. I know that I shouldn't be on the scale yet, but I couldn't resist. I'm down almost 9lb down since surgery. Yay!
      · 1 reply
      1. Emilia Danciu

You are allowed to feel tired, take naps and only do the minimum this soon after the surgery. Listen to your body and be good to yourself at this time. Most important things to care about at this time is hydration and protein. It is a full-time job to stay on top of that and prioritize your energy there for now. Just give your body the time to heal and adjust, don’t rush the recovery.

• Trending Topics

• Magazine Articles

1. Keto and Bariatric Surgery

Posted in: Food & Nutrition
      Lisa Kaouk, RD & Monica Bashaw, RD
    2. Little known facts about losing weight after bariatric surgery

Posted in: Post-Op Support
    3. Carbs After Bariatric Surgery?

Posted in: Food & Nutrition
  • Together, we have lost...